CF-Auto-Root for SM-G900T (T-Mobile US)

Search This thread

idtheftvictim

Dec 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
@Chainfire has released his CF-Auto-Root for the SM-G900T (T-Mobile US) Galaxy S 5.

I take no credit whatsoever for this, just posting a link to his main thread for all to see.

Please go and thank Chainfire!

With this root accomplished, we can confirm that the T-Mobile bootloader is UNLOCKED.

ROMS/Kernels/Recovery will soon follow from our awesome devs here on XDA.

Link to CF-Auto-Root Main Thread(Multi-variants)

THIS WILL TRIP KNOX COUNTER TO 0x1

ODIN Instructions - Copied from Main CF thread
Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

Download links taken from main thread:

SM-G900T (T-Mobile US): CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip

Other models

CF-Auto-Root is not yet available for all models - one stock firmwares for these models become available, let me know, and I'll make the corresponding CF-Auto-Roots.

Last edited:

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Good stuff, downloaded the zip, just waiting for my device to get here....we have to run the update the Kies first, right? Also, any word about CWM or TWRP? They've already made recoveries for the international versions.

Reactions: secano

idtheftvictim

Dec 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Good stuff, downloaded the zip, just waiting for my device to get here....we have to run the update the Kies first, right? Also, any word about CWM or TWRP? They've already made recoveries for the international versions.

You can run the auto-root on both the updated version from kies, or straight outta the box.

I am trying to get in touch with the developers about TWRP and CWM, but I am sure they are busy trying to get all variants working.

I wouldn't Odin the international TWRP or CWM though. I would wait for a version for us.

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
You can run the auto-root on both the updated version from kies, or straight outta the box.

I am trying to get in touch with the developers about TWRP and CWM, but I am sure they are busy trying to get all variants working.

I wouldn't Odin the international TWRP or CWM though. I would wait for a version for us.

For sure, I don't want to brick the damn thing. Luckily I've been here before!

Reactions: secano

idtheftvictim

Dec 26, 2010
Charlotte, NC
ill wait for a none trip counter version or triangle away to come out. should be to long.

I wouldn't count on it. at least the Triangle away...Knox still hasn't been figured out for previous devices on how to reset it, so I wouldn't count on it for this device. As for getting root without tripping knox, Maybe kingo will update, or root-de-la-vega....who knows at this point.

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
ill wait for a none trip counter version or triangle away to come out. should be to long.

There basically won't be a way of resetting Knox.
Because of it being more a hardware flag, once it is tripped it is not reversible.
There might eventually be a way to do it without tripping it, but I wouldn't expect that for a while.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Edit: This is such great news, I'll be buying this version and unlock it to use it on T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
Worked perfectly.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Since we have root, does that mean 100% that we can flash recoveries and ROMS? Both TW and AOSP?

Yes, though root has nothing to do with this. The bootloader is unlocked, which is why root was obtainable via Chainfire's custom recovery. We have no restrictions on flashing custom ROMs/kernels/recoveries/etc.

I may start working on a custom TW kernel myself once Samsung uploads the source...

Reactions: tankmurdock

stevew84

Oct 21, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Worked perfectly.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Yes, though root has nothing to do with this. The bootloader is unlocked, which is why root was obtainable via Chainfire's custom recovery. We have no restrictions on flashing custom ROMs/kernels/recoveries/etc.

I may start working on a custom TW kernel myself once Samsung uploads the source...

Wait, CF custom recovery has nothing to do with root? I thought that was the point of CF "autoroot", am I missing something?

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Tmo warranty

Hi,
I'm debating if I should upgrade to SGS5, now that we can root the phone.
Does anyone knows for sure that a tripped Knox means no warranty with T-mo? I'm under the Jump plan and the idea is that I will be able to have warranty on the device if something happens to it (and I do have some apps that must use root...)

Thanks,
Gil.

el7145

Mar 21, 2012
NY
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite

Are we 100% certain that the bootloader is indeed unlocked. I know that chainfire stated this (although he currently doesnt own the s5).

I just came from HTC, and it states when you boot whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked. Im assuming there is no simple way of knowing whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked like the HTC devices

marriux2

Nov 1, 2010
Phew glad to see the bootloader is not locked. Gonna root as soon as I get my replacement S5. Can't wait for the custom ROMs

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bzlik88

Jul 14, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Are we 100% certain that the bootloader is indeed unlocked. I know that chainfire stated this (although he currently doesnt own the s5).

I just came from HTC, and it states when you boot whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked. Im assuming there is no simple way of knowing whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked like the HTC devices

There are reliable sources saying yes it is unlocked and there are reliable sources saying no it still hasn't been confirmed until someone successfully flashes a custom rom/kernel/recovery.

The consensus around here seems to be that it is unlocked but its just people repeating the words of the original few that debated it. And of course since we all want it to be unlocked, it is easier to believe that it is.

I personally don't want to jump to conclusion so i want there to be more discussion on the matter. Therefore i requested the "boot loader un/locked" thread to be reopened in Q/A.

i want to walk down to the store and buy one right now but until its confirmed im waiting it out. $650 bet!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Chainfire has released his CF-Auto-Root for the SM-G900T (T-Mobile US) Galaxy S 5.

I take no credit whatsoever for this, just posting a link to his main thread for all to see.

Please go and thank Chainfire!

With this root accomplished, we can confirm that the T-Mobile bootloader is UNLOCKED.

ROMS/Kernels/Recovery will soon follow from our awesome devs here on XDA.

Link to CF-Auto-Root Main Thread(Multi-variants)

THIS WILL TRIP KNOX COUNTER TO 0x1

ODIN Instructions - Copied from Main CF thread
    Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

Download links taken from main thread:

SM-G900T (T-Mobile US): CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip

Other models

CF-Auto-Root is not yet available for all models - one stock firmwares for these models become available, let me know, and I'll make the corresponding CF-Auto-Roots.
    Can you show us a screen with philz recovery loaded?
    That would be solid proof and many of us would appreciate it.
    And if you could, post it in the Q/A bootloader thread.

Thanks man

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51833400&postcount=158
    You need to 'flash' one using a program called Odin (Google it, but be weary about which link you click on. ... or search these forums for the links)

There is a post on here on how to install it and use it correctly.

***edit***

Found the link.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706253

Sent from my rooted 'beaned' SM-G900T using Tapatalk Premium
    Got my S5 and ran the CFAuto worked like a champ... Rooted in 30 seconds.. Yes it tripped Knox but I really don't care.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Now just to see if WiFi tether for root users works.
    He he

The bootloader is absolutely unlocked. I just flashed PhilZ's recovery as well:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706253