2g or wifi

Search This thread

musteky

Aug 4, 2014
I wonder what is the connection that uses more battery, 2g or wifi.
I only use the internet to update the app lockmix, then the 2g enough for me, but I was wondering which spends more battery if it is 2g or wifi

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
2G uses very little power in the background, but it's very slow so transferring much data over it will use a lot of power because the radio will need to be on constantly.
WiFi uses a significant amount of power even on standby - that's why WP8 defaults to turning WiFi off when the screen is off - but it's probably worth using when available if your only other option is 2G.

BTW, are you sure you meant 2G? That's archaic; 3G has pretty much entirely replaced it and 4G is become more and more common.

Reactions: djamol

musteky

Aug 4, 2014
I only use the internet on your phone to update the lockmix application (for screen lock), the 2g is enough. I have to have an active connection, my doubt is on wifi or 2g due to battery consumption. my wifi router this to 2/3 meters away and have speed of 30 mb.

djamol

Jun 3, 2014
Pune
www.twitter.com
But obviously, battery drain's on 2G network, & no issue about Wi-Fi distances, but it also drain's down when background searching & attempt to connect to the network at multiple times.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2G uses very little power in the background, but it's very slow so transferring much data over it will use a lot of power because the radio will need to be on constantly.
    WiFi uses a significant amount of power even on standby - that's why WP8 defaults to turning WiFi off when the screen is off - but it's probably worth using when available if your only other option is 2G.

BTW, are you sure you meant 2G? That's archaic; 3G has pretty much entirely replaced it and 4G is become more and more common.