[ROM] Flashing the Starmobile Crystal with I-Mobiles IQ2 T18 Official ROM
THIS WILL DEFINITELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY
BACK-UP YOUR CURRENT ROM (THIS IS A MUST!)
THIS PROCESS WILL ERASE ALL THE USER DATA ON YOUR PHONE! CREATE A BACK UP OF YOUR CONTACTS, IMPORTANT DOCS, EMAILS, MESSAGES, etc.
Do the following at your own risks. I will not be responsible if anything happens to your device. Steps are provided as a guide to help you
flash a different rom to your Starmobile Crystal. I've personally just tried using the procedure below for only 3 times but they were all
successful. ***Ultimately YOU are responsible for your own actions.***
HI TO ALL CRYSTAL USERS!
Here is a *translated* guide on how to flash the i-Mobile IQ2's latest T18 firmware to our Starmobile Crystal.
You don't need to have a rooted phone for this procedure.
I couldn't find a changelog for the T18 version so I'll just share the differences that I've noticed after flashing the ROM:
* A new setting for GPS could be found under Location services call GPS EPO --
-- Its a MediaTek proprietary off-line server based A-GPS technology. It supports up to 30 days satellite orbit prediction, which can
be used to greatly enhance user experience by improving GPS Time To First Fix (TTFF). -- as per the About EPO from the EPO settings in the
I've noticed an improvement with GPS if this feature is turned on. Before I couldn't get a fix when I'm inside my house but at least now I'm
getting one -- although its within a 200m radius. Works much better out in the open. The only downpart here is you would need to download the
EPO file for it to be effective. What if you're in a life and death situation where there's no way to get wifi or a data connection?
* Interface seems to a lot smoother. (Maybe because there's still a few apps installed)
* Games are a bit less laggy. I've tried Temple Run 2 and O2jAM and I've seen a bit of improvement there.
* Gyro sensor with Temple Run 1 is still not fixed
|| All other apps seem to be working fine with it.
* Battery drain is reasonable, just like the crystal's.
* OC'ing / UC'ing is still not possible..
|| Still looking for a compatible kernel / ROM.
* a version of CWM could be flashed using MobileUncle Tools for this firmware! \ (^_^) /
* The T18 firmware has LED flash enabled for video capture -- the T10 version which I initially tried did not.
* THe T10 firmware had a red "x" for sim 2 located at the status bar since I didn't had a sim 2 inserted and I couldn't get it off -- This was
fixed in the T18 firmware.
* Haven't noticed any bugs except when the phone is charging and the battery has a low percentage -- everything becomes laggy! But I did had
the same experience with the Crystals firmware too.
So HERE WE GO -- ONTO THE GUIDE
THINGS THAT YOU WOULD NEED
1.] SP Flash_Tool
2.] i-Mobile IQ2 T18 ROM -- Its technically a T17+ rev.
3.] ADB Drivers, phone drivers - This can be obtained via PdaNet and manually installing the driver from the SP Flash_Tools folder
4.] A computer running on Windows 7
5.] Basic knowledge of flashing ROMS is a plus!
* Download all the files below and extract the .rar files into seperate folders *
- Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v15.7z -
- PdaNetA4013.exe -
- recoveryIQ2v17.img -
- SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1222.00.rar -
- i-Mobile IQ2 T18 update -
* Install the USB drivers of your phone. *
Installing ADB drivers via PdaNet
- Install PdaNet and when asked if you would like to install the drivers - select yes > Other > OK;
- If you get a pop up that the driver is not signed, just select install anyway. You'll be prompted to connect your phone to
your PC - do so. Once installation is complete, you can unplug your phone
Installing the Drivers for the Preloader
- Turn off your phone, remove the battery and connect your phone to your PC.
- On your computer, go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for the USB driver for MT65xx Preloader (this flashes on and
off every 5 secs or so) then right click it and select Update Driver.
- Select the "Browse option" > "Let me pick.." > Let the Show all devices highlighted then click Next > Have Disk then navigate
to the folder where you extracted SP Flash_Tools
- Open the folder > Open new usb driver > Open the Win7 folder and select usb2ser_Win7 for 32-bit systems and usb2ser_Win764
- Let the drivers install. Once done, unplug the USB cable from your phone.
* Flashing the ROM *
- Open flash_tool.exe from the SP Flash_Tool folder
- Once you have the program loaded, click on Scatter-loading found at the right hand side buttons of the interface
- Navigate to the directory where you extracted the T18 ROM and open the IQ2 LBAMW01.1.0.1.2T18A1229_M121 folder
- There should only be one file here -- MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc; Go ahead and open it.
- Click the Format button at the upper left portion of the Interface; Dont change any setting on the pop-up window, just click OK
- Connect the USB cable to the phone (battery should still be removed) and wait for the status bar fill up and go back to 0%. Unplug your phone immediately and stop the process by clicking the button to the right of the Download button at the top of the interface.
- Click on the Download button > re-attach the battery to your phone and then connect the USB cable back to the phone.
- Flashing of the ROM would take place at this point - DO NOT INTERRUPT!
It should only take 3-6 minutes to complete.
- You'll know that flashing was successful once you see a pop-up box with a "green" circle. You wont miss it - seriously!
- You can unplug your phone from the pc and turn it on. You should see a green i-mobile logo instead of the Starmobile logo.
- The phone would take a while to boot up after updating, don't worry -- its normal.
* Root your phone!!! *
- You can follow the Rooting guide for Starmobile Astra here by OP
* Install CWM Recovery *
- Follow the guide on how to Install CWM on the Astra except use the file recoveryIQ2v17.img from the downloads list
That should be it! Enjoy using your IQ2 phone! If you do find problems or have a better way of getting this done -- please share it with
everyone. This guide was translated from http://droidfriend.com/forums/index.php?topic=1001.0
*Note* After installing CWM, it would be best to boot into recovery and format data / wipe cache / wipe dalvik cache before using the phone.
================================================== ================================================== ====
everything happens for a reason.