[Q] LG Motion (Possible Cyanogen mod?)

Search This thread

Prophet968

May 18, 2013
Highland
Hey everyone! I would like to start off by saying that I am brand new here, and am surely going to mess up quiet alot... But here goes,
I've recently rooted my phone with a very simple guide, and it's the first device I've every rooted. So I know very little of the process of doing so, (I'm learning slowly).

I also have found a rom that I would like to install, but I would love to know if others think it seems legit? If it is real, I know many people would absolutely love to use it! The rom's URL is (ht tp:// playfuldroidz.com /wiki/ CyanogenMod_10_Motion) (Please remove spaces, sorry as I said i'm new...)

Now I don't mind testing this myself, but being as new as I am at android I honestly do not know how to follow the relatively simple instructions.

(This Is where I need some help, Please be noob cautious!)

Download the .zip & copy to phone or sdcard (make sure 4g or wifi is enabled if dl'd from phone).
Zip can be installed from either internal or external sd in CWM (Which ever you copied it too!)
MAKE A BACKUP!!!
DO A FACTORY RESET!!! - this will wipe data & cache!
Go to install zip from sdcard
Choose zip from sdcard
Select cm-10-xxxxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-l0.zip
Confirm
Repeat Steps 5 -8 for gapps
Reboot

Now my first question I'd love some help with, is how do I perform this backup there talking about? do they just mean my simple go into settings and click backup? Or should I do it some otherway?

Second question: Do they mean the phones built in service of factory reset?

Third Question: To install a Zip from an SD card do I need to simply use ES file explorer, or root file browser? Or is there a custom way to install a Zip file on android?

Fourth and final Question: What is gapps..? Is this something I should get or use?

EDIT: I've got a fifth one also... Thanks to anyone who's stayed this long and is willing to help me.! Will this Cyanogen mod (If working) Work almost exactly like a real nexus Operating system? I've got a nexus 7 tablet running stock android, and I love it! That's why I'm doing this to my phone honestly.

Thank you all greatly!

CdTDroiD

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 1, 2011
Auckland
Hey everyone! I would like to start off by saying that I am brand new here, and am surely going to mess up quiet alot... But here goes,
I've recently rooted my phone with a very simple guide, and it's the first device I've every rooted. So I know very little of the process of doing so, (I'm learning slowly).

I also have found a rom that I would like to install, but I would love to know if others think it seems legit? If it is real, I know many people would absolutely love to use it! The rom's URL is (ht tp:// playfuldroidz.com /wiki/ CyanogenMod_10_Motion) (Please remove spaces, sorry as I said i'm new...)

Now I don't mind testing this myself, but being as new as I am at android I honestly do not know how to follow the relatively simple instructions.

Download the .zip & copy to phone or sdcard (make sure 4g or wifi is enabled if dl'd from phone).
Zip can be installed from either internal or external sd in CWM (Which ever you copied it too!)
MAKE A BACKUP!!!
Choose zip from sdcard
Confirm
Reboot

Now my first question I'd love some help with, is how do I perform this backup there talking about? do they just mean my simple go into settings and click backup? Or should I do it some otherway?

Third Question: To install a Zip from an SD card do I need to simply use ES file explorer, or root file browser? Or is there a custom way to install a Zip file on android?

Fourth and final Question: What is gapps..? Is this something I should get or use?

EDIT: I've got a fifth one also... Thanks to anyone who's stayed this long and is willing to help me.! Will this Cyanogen mod (If working) Work almost exactly like a real nexus Operating system? I've got a nexus 7 tablet running stock android, and I love it! That's why I'm doing this to my phone honestly.

Thank you all greatly!

Question 1,2 and 3.. they are all done through Clockworkmod. Look through the menus you'll see it if you still struggle look on YouTube.

Question 4.. gapps is Google Apps you need to flash this after the ROM to get the play store and all the other standard Google apps.

Question 5.. in your eyes pretty much, it'll look the same but with more features obviously.

Reactions: Prophet968

Prophet968

May 18, 2013
Highland
Alright I've got one last dumb question :)

Just give it a go mate, if in doubt try it out lol (don't quote me on that haha)

I was just wondering if there's a chance this clock work mod thing doesn't work on my phone? I don't really know how, or where it is either... and I'd love some help with that... Thank you!

(Edit) I don't think there is a clockwork mod for my device... According to the Rom Manager app I was told to use for installing it.

Last edited:

XjokiX7

Jan 21, 2012
I was just wondering if there's a chance this clock work mod thing doesn't work on my phone? I don't really know how, or where it is either... and I'd love some help with that... Thank you!

(Edit) I don't think there is a clockwork mod for my device... According to the Rom Manager app I was told to use for installing it.

If you did what it said in the instructions *root it, cwm, install custom rom* then after installing the custom rom it has it's own cwm. turn off the phone, turn in back home and press the back and home button together at the same time and it should take you to the rom's cwm. If the phone does a factory reset by pressing the back and home button then you did the installation wrong.

But just in case I'll setup a full instruction for you.

Root your phone.
Which can be done easily, just download this and extract the files: http://www.mediafire.com/?dhdbwflnl1vknx2
once you extract the files put your phone on debugging mode which can be done by going to settings, developer mode, and click usb debug.
once you've done that connect your phone to the pc *make sure it's on charge only* wait for driver installation to finish. once that's done click root. follow instructions on the screen it shouldn't be too hard! after following instructions you should be rooted and have cwm. but to install the recovery go to your apps and find lte 2nd init recovery and then click the top button, agree to super su to use it and you're done with rooting and cwm! now. these files you were talking about, download them and put them on sd which can be done with a file manager. after they've downloaded go to the lte 2nd init and click the bottom button. it will reboot the phone and take you to cwm. While you are in cwm click on the home button to go to external which is the sd, then go to backup and restore, and click backup! this is very important. miss this step and things could go bad. Now all you have to do is follow the instructions you posted yourself and you should be done! :) if you need any help don't hesitate to message me. I've done this for a long time now.

Whoops forgot to add. the website IS a reliable source. Learned that cause I'm a risk taker and decided to try it out myself. :p and do not use rom manager or anything like that for recovery. ever. especially on phones that do not have their own recovery mode. also. the CM10 works great in my opinion! But there's a catch. for me at least. even though everything is perfect during phone calls I cannot use my 4g. which is a bad thing for me cause I need it. other than that if that doesn't bother you or anything or don't have service then knock yourself out and install the cm10!

Last edited:

Prophet968

May 18, 2013
Highland
COMPLETED) This mod worked, all things are now finished except one small issue!

So after installing the mod with some great help of someone here on this forums, I've been basically beta testing the mod for a few days. I have nearly no complaints, as almost everything works seemlessly just like you'd except the operating system to. In the end I found one single issue though, which is terribly annoying for me in specific...

My GPS isn't working, which could be one of many things other than the rom. Seeing as I only recognized It yesterday, there may be an outside reason it at random shut off. If anyone know's what can cause this, and a fix for it please comment back!

Thanks to everyone who helped with installing the mod :)

kylehoell

Oct 3, 2013
Please help me with the rom

Hey guys not sure if i am suppose to post this here but i couldnt find any where else and i couldnt find an answer with my exact problem, i installed this rom on my moms lg motion and everything went find untill i got to gapps it came up with an error inside of cwm so i just contined all the other flashes i had to do and rebooted i thought that i could just flash gapps later. But i mad a very big booboo i installed the Recovery APK for it in cm 10 i forgot all about pressing reboot and saying reboot into revocovery so i was going to try it though the Recovery APK so i installed the thing and pressed reboot and instead of taking me into recovery it takes me to a screen that says something like "mourning call error" which i dont know what means but i had to take out the battery and turn the phone back on so that worked and i got back to the home screen but i still cant install gapps so she can use all the google sevices i tried rebooting with the built in reboot into recovery (the one that you press reboot when you hold the power button) and that does the same exact thing i have no way of flashing gapps or anything else for that matter can someone please help me i have no idea what to do. everything i working on the phone but that. thank you sorry if i put this in the wrong place.

steampeach

Feb 11, 2014
Confused my droid using this method- would love in on this thread

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place-punch me if I have-

I rooted my lgms770 with version f firmware- installed cwm and 2ndinit recovery (2nd init was the only known way (to me anyway) to get into cwm at the time) followed this guide ---
[LgMotion All Things root] and
[GUIDE] Unbrick OR Unroot LG Motion 4G [KDZ] - Android Forums
I am not allowed to post urls yet...sorry...its the the first google hit

I've tried multiple versions of the official LG Firmware flash, from the website, and by following this guide-
AOKP Dirty Unicorns baseless port cm10 - Android Forums Actually, its the unicorns that got me.

With no luck there. I am running Mint16, and had to run the programs through Wine of course, then tried Q4wine, and eventually tried running though Oracle VM, and finally, I wiped my ancient dell of Linux altogether and put WinXP back on it (took 2 hours, that). No cigar. And yes, I did the drivers, all in order, etc, tried again, reinstalled etc

I finally set up adb to try to get into this droid that way, but am having problems with port permissions (I'm going to guess that's on my pc's end-running Mint16)
I can access the factory reset screen (the black and white), download mode, and the battery charges on a black screen with a nice purple font, but I am still stuck in a bootloop. I've employed all known button spamming combos to get back into cwm (there is a nandroid in there somewhere)..but alas...

Help me Obi-Wan-Kenobi's..

Peach

The_Rhetoric_Rebel

May 10, 2014
Sacramento California
I had the purple letters with no way to get to the factory reset screen i just used the lg online flash tool in upgrade recovery put in the imei of the phone in made sure the phone was in usb download mode then it was fixed but for some odd reason i still cant get my phone to the factory reset option. I apologize sincerely if I wasn't detailed enough if you need any clarification on it then let me know through pm or i could even send u a link to my box folder i keep the install files in.
(Also i have a one click root app for the LGMS770 So if you or anyone would like the link i would be happy to give it to you)
Sent from my MetroPCS LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you did what it said in the instructions *root it, cwm, install custom rom* then after installing the custom rom it has it's own cwm. turn off the phone, turn in back home and press the back and home button together at the same time and it should take you to the rom's cwm. If the phone does a factory reset by pressing the back and home button then you did the installation wrong.

But just in case I'll setup a full instruction for you.

Root your phone.
    Which can be done easily, just download this and extract the files: http://www.mediafire.com/?dhdbwflnl1vknx2
    once you extract the files put your phone on debugging mode which can be done by going to settings, developer mode, and click usb debug.
    once you've done that connect your phone to the pc *make sure it's on charge only* wait for driver installation to finish. once that's done click root. follow instructions on the screen it shouldn't be too hard! after following instructions you should be rooted and have cwm. but to install the recovery go to your apps and find lte 2nd init recovery and then click the top button, agree to super su to use it and you're done with rooting and cwm! now. these files you were talking about, download them and put them on sd which can be done with a file manager. after they've downloaded go to the lte 2nd init and click the bottom button. it will reboot the phone and take you to cwm. While you are in cwm click on the home button to go to external which is the sd, then go to backup and restore, and click backup! this is very important. miss this step and things could go bad. Now all you have to do is follow the instructions you posted yourself and you should be done! :) if you need any help don't hesitate to message me. I've done this for a long time now.

Whoops forgot to add. the website IS a reliable source. Learned that cause I'm a risk taker and decided to try it out myself. :p and do not use rom manager or anything like that for recovery. ever. especially on phones that do not have their own recovery mode. also. the CM10 works great in my opinion! But there's a catch. for me at least. even though everything is perfect during phone calls I cannot use my 4g. which is a bad thing for me cause I need it. other than that if that doesn't bother you or anything or don't have service then knock yourself out and install the cm10!

MAKE A BACKUP!!!
    Choose zip from sdcard
    Confirm
    Reboot

Thank you all greatly!

Question 1,2 and 3.. they are all done through Clockworkmod. Look through the menus you'll see it if you still struggle look on YouTube.

Question 4.. gapps is Google Apps you need to flash this after the ROM to get the play store and all the other standard Google apps.

Question 5.. in your eyes pretty much, it'll look the same but with more features obviously.