[APP][BETA] PokeDroid--Multiplayer coming soonish!

Search This thread

notverycreative

Oct 31, 2010
/dev/null
From the depths of AP Computer Science comes...

PokeDroid--Multiplayer coming soonish!

Everyone's favorite Game Boy series comes to the little robot in your pocket with all 649 Pokemon, all their moves and abilities, and all the items!

Features include...
-Total team customization--EVs, IVs, moves, abilities, held items, gender, everything!
-Quick Battle for a simple skirmish or the endless Battle Tower to test your Pokemon mettle!
-All Pokemon, moves, abilities, and items from all games up to Black 'n' White!
-Super-duper open-source technology!

This is an open beta hosted on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pokedroid/). Grab the code from CVS, take the newest nightly, dissect our code for your own benefit, all that jazz!

This being a beta, it isn't entirely functional.

What works:
-Battling from start to finish
-Team builder
-All Pokemon and their movepools
-Somewhat functional AI
-About half of the attacks

What doesn't:
-Most abilities and items
-Some occasional force closes
-Animations (though these may never be implemented as that would take a LOT of time)
-Multiplayer is currently being worked on!

I've decided to stick with PokeDroid because it's not going on the Market anyway.

This was done for an AP Computer Science project, but it quickly took on a life of its own. We've been working on it since April-ish almost constantly. I learned Android from scratch from the Developer website and would love to teach anyone curious about Android programming.

The server is also available for donwload from the SourceForge download page, but is totally useless right now so don't waste your time ;)

Screenshots:

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

Credits:

Myself, Shawn--UI, graphics, base code
Matt--Battle logic, almost all Pokemon-centric code
Josh--AI
Game Freak--Pokemon, in all its awesomeness
Google--Google Docs for awesome collaboration tools
SourceForge--hosting
Quite a few different sites across the interwebs--Most of the Pokemon/move/movepool databases (we will credit them when we can dig them out of our history)
You lovely XDAers--testing and feedback! :D

Download:

The newest semi-stable release is available on our SourceForge page.

If you're feeling daring, the newest "nightly" release can be downloaded straight from our CVS repo. It may or may not be buggier/have more features than the other download, so use at your own risk/reward.

Finally:

Send us bug reports/suggestions! We would love to hear from y'all and your opinions! All testing was done on 2 CM7 Galaxy S variants and a CM7 MyTouch 4G, but it should work on 2.1+ with any screen resolution. Since the Honeycomb emulator is ungodly slow, we were unable to test on it, but it should theoretically work. Once I get my TouchPad in the mail and it gets its Honeycomb/ICS port, I'll make sure it works on there, too.

Thanks for giving it a shot!

Last edited:

MoonRaven

May 26, 2010
Rotterdam
www.jeroenheijster.com
Well, to be honest, I wonder how long it will take until Nintendo takes the project down :( They already took down the pokedex apps in the market :/

I hope they don't, looks like fun :D

Last edited:

habitat22

Jan 8, 2011
Pokemon on Android :D perfect :D
I love Pokemon :D Looks really awesome!!
Downloading and trying it out now!
*Thumbs up*

k4p741nkrunch

Jun 14, 2010
Florida
I like the idea of this! I'm a little concerned about the legal usage of the characters and the names, but if you're not charging I don't know if they'd have any power over you.

As far as the name goes, I'd take it back to the roots. "Pocket Monsters" or "Pocket Monster Battle", I checked the Market and neither are registered names. Just to warn you, Nintendo did sue a company for naming their product "Monster In My Pocket" just for the similarity. You might want to get to renaming Blastoise to JeTurtle and Charizard to CharsUrFace :p

Westi01

Apr 1, 2010
Nice idea but is FC Ing on the samsung galaxy s2 wegen klicking on quick battle.

tony45x220

Oct 26, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Yooo Pokemon was onna my VERY FAVORITE and most addictive games as a child!!...y'all gotta make this official...beautiful idea dev's...will be testing and reporting!

Sent from my rooted, suited, & booted Epic 4G kno dat!

Trickee360

Dec 6, 2010
I love this idea. I've been waiting for an app like this. Is there netplay? That's all this would need to be absolutely perfect

Nice job, bro

notverycreative

Oct 31, 2010
/dev/null
Thanks for the suggestions! It's still pretty buggy, sorry! Netplay will require us to learn netcode, something we'll probably do soon now that school's out. I've never gotten that particular FC before, do you have a logcat? If you aren't sure, submit a bug from the main menu (in the menu button popup). That automatically sends it to me. Yeah, we were gonna put it on the Market for free, so I don't know what they can do to us other than give us a C&D order. Making a new client for that project would probably require a complete rewrite of most of the battle logic, though we did think of doing something like that. If network play does manifest itself, it will probably be by IP rather than a matchmaking system because we don't have access to a server of our own. We'll see what we can do! Thanks again everybody!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Azuske

Jan 31, 2009
Tampa, Florida
My Thoughts and Ideas

I have a few things you can do to improve the app..

#1 - UI:
Give it a Android based feel to it. Drag down notifications when people want to battle you. Have a widget for the homescreen that will show your worldwide stats as they change.

#2 - Team Builder?
I don't think a team builder is the right approach because anyone can pick the best pokemon and just be awesome at battle. Make it a build you way up experience. Every first evolution pokemon is available (not including the legends) and develop a unlock system for the rares and legendary pokemon to be battled and caught.

#3 - Network approach
Make it a ALWAYS ON experience. You can have settings to allow when you want people to invite you to battle sessions and turn that option off when your too busy for any reason.

#4 - Other options (Not just single battling)
Add things such as Online Messaging, Pokemon Center (For a realistic pokemon healing experience), Buy Items (for healing in battle and buy pokeballs to catch pokemon)

#5 - Name
How about "PokeDroid Battle Center"

#6 - As always fix issues
Keep doing a good job to make it a stable and fun experience for all users but I find it best to start with a register and sign on kind of game but have the sign on be your one of the Gmail accounts built into your phone.

Keep up the good work :)

notverycreative

Oct 31, 2010
/dev/null
Okay, thanks for the suggestions! We'll keep those in mind as we keep working on it! Right now, our top priorities are fixing FC's and making all aspects of battle work (abilities, items, attack effects). Like I said before, the multiplayer options will be very scarce unless we can get our hands on a server to handle all of the global stats and matchmaking. But yeah, push notifications and chat and widgets would be really, really cool :)

Reactions: Azuske

doratheconquistadora

Jan 13, 2011
Lafayette, CA
I like the idea of this! I'm a little concerned about the legal usage of the characters and the names, but if you're not charging I don't know if they'd have any power over you.

Actually, it started with the paid Pokedex apps getting pulled but then they finally took down the free ones as well. TPC was the one behind all of the removals.

Interesting app, in time it'll grow into something pretty successful if you keep at it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From the depths of AP Computer Science comes...

PokeDroid--Multiplayer coming soonish!

Everyone's favorite Game Boy series comes to the little robot in your pocket with all 649 Pokemon, all their moves and abilities, and all the items!

Features include...
    -Total team customization--EVs, IVs, moves, abilities, held items, gender, everything!
    -Quick Battle for a simple skirmish or the endless Battle Tower to test your Pokemon mettle!
    -All Pokemon, moves, abilities, and items from all games up to Black 'n' White!
    -Super-duper open-source technology!

This is an open beta hosted on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pokedroid/). Grab the code from CVS, take the newest nightly, dissect our code for your own benefit, all that jazz!

This being a beta, it isn't entirely functional.

What works:
    -Battling from start to finish
    -Team builder
    -All Pokemon and their movepools
    -Somewhat functional AI

What doesn't:
    -Most abilities and items
    -Some occasional force closes
    -Animations (though these may never be implemented as that would take a LOT of time)
    -Multiplayer is currently being worked on!

I've decided to stick with PokeDroid because it's not going on the Market anyway.

This was done for an AP Computer Science project, but it quickly took on a life of its own. We've been working on it since April-ish almost constantly. I learned Android from scratch from the Developer website and would love to teach anyone curious about Android programming.

The server is also available for donwload from the SourceForge download page, but is totally useless right now so don't waste your time ;)

Screenshots:

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

dbimage.php

Credits:

Myself, Shawn--UI, graphics, base code
    Matt--Battle logic, almost all Pokemon-centric code
    Josh--AI
    Game Freak--Pokemon, in all its awesomeness
    Google--Google Docs for awesome collaboration tools
    SourceForge--hosting
    Quite a few different sites across the interwebs--Most of the Pokemon/move/movepool databases (we will credit them when we can dig them out of our history)
    You lovely XDAers--testing and feedback! :D

Download:

The newest semi-stable release is available on our SourceForge page.

If you're feeling daring, the newest "nightly" release can be downloaded straight from our CVS repo. It may or may not be buggier/have more features than the other download, so use at your own risk/reward.

Finally:

Send us bug reports/suggestions! We would love to hear from y'all and your opinions! All testing was done on 2 CM7 Galaxy S variants and a CM7 MyTouch 4G, but it should work on 2.1+ with any screen resolution. Since the Honeycomb emulator is ungodly slow, we were unable to test on it, but it should theoretically work. Once I get my TouchPad in the mail and it gets its Honeycomb/ICS port, I'll make sure it works on there, too.

Thanks for giving it a shot!
    Okay, thanks for the suggestions! We'll keep those in mind as we keep working on it! Right now, our top priorities are fixing FC's and making all aspects of battle work (abilities, items, attack effects). Like I said before, the multiplayer options will be very scarce unless we can get our hands on a server to handle all of the global stats and matchmaking. But yeah, push notifications and chat and widgets would be really, really cool :)

problem parsing package when i tried to install beta9

If you have an older version installed, uninstall it.

Okay, I figured it out. Whenever you scroll away from and back to a Pokemon that has been checked, the View is recreated and that Pokemon adds itself to your party again. I should have it figured out and fixed pretty soon.

EDIT: beta10 is up!
    beta11 is now up! Changes include removing the loading screen on the team builder screen, general optimization, and clarification about multiplayer not yet being ready.

Also, I am RMAing my lappy soon, so I'll suddenly stop working for 10-14 days while I wait for it to get a new AC adapter and hard drive. Yay warranty!