Is it worth unrooting/updating to 4.4.2 and then re-rooting?

Search This thread

ground beef

Dec 15, 2010
I've done a few searches and haven't really found any definitive answers so here goes:

I'm currently running 4.2.2 on my SPH-L720

Software/Baseband version: L720VPUAMF9
Hardware version: L720.08
Kernel version: 3.4.0-953334
se.infra@Sep-87 #1
Tue Jun 25 09:36:29 KST 2013
Build Number: JDQ39.L720VPUAMF9

It's rooted and I have wi-fi tethering (main reason for rooting)

Do you think it's worth it to unroot, then upgrade to 4.4.2, then re-root for purposes of wi-fi tethering?

If yes, is it as simple as unrooting, doing OTA update, and then rooting and install whatever wif-fi tethering app I need?

If no, why?

Thanks.

GB

ground beef

Dec 15, 2010
Couple of questions:

1. What does NAE stand for? I'm guessing that it is back to unrooted stock? Do I run the OTA update after flashing the NAE tar?
2. So, if I execute the towel root, will that automatically get me tethering capabilities or do I need to so something else?

Thanks.

leaderbuilder

Couple of questions:

1. What does NAE stand for? I'm guessing that it is back to unrooted stock? Do I run the OTA update after flashing the NAE tar?
2. So, if I execute the towel root, will that automatically get me tethering capabilities or do I need to so something else?

Thanks.
I think what you really need to do is take some time to read a whole lot more before you turn you nice device into a shiny paperweight.
NAE is the build (N stands for something, as do the A and E - all of which can be found by searching just a little. Build, year month date of build etc)
If you Odin the tar you're stock unrooted.
You don't just 'get' tethering, you'd have to flash a hack or pay for it.
Best bet, really, is to do some reading. You'll find everything you need and all your questions already answered.
Good luck.

Reactions: daniel4653

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could Odin NAE tar then re root with towel root that will not not trip Knox. And you can tether.
    Couple of questions:

Thanks.
    I think what you really need to do is take some time to read a whole lot more before you turn you nice device into a shiny paperweight.
    NAE is the build (N stands for something, as do the A and E - all of which can be found by searching just a little. Build, year month date of build etc)
    If you Odin the tar you're stock unrooted.
    You don't just 'get' tethering, you'd have to flash a hack or pay for it.
    Best bet, really, is to do some reading. You'll find everything you need and all your questions already answered.
    Good luck.