Petition: Grant Galaxy S5 Users Unlocked Bootloader Upon Request

Search This thread

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
Signed... Won't buy the phone until its unlocked... M8 and its hideous UI is looking better and better every day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

driguez

Oct 8, 2007
O-Town
Signed... Won't buy the phone until its unlocked... M8 and its hideous UI is looking better and better every day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I signed the petition, unfortunately I'm at the Verizon store right at this moment to exchange it for the M8. I really really like the S5 but been with root since the G1 since God knows when, not stopping now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: thewebsiteisdown

pocthird

Jun 4, 2013
bejaia
for those who want to install a custom rom i guess you don't need to root your s5 as cyanogenmod installer works even with locked bootloader and without root after having cm you can flash anything u want , the thing is i'm only sure that s2 s3 s4 are supported , s5 support will come for sure the question is when ? i just wanted to give you hope if the petition fails . :)

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

davidstre

Feb 25, 2009
NYNY
Thanks guys, I'm hoping for another 200 today!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Alarand

May 10, 2013
Thanks guys, I'm hoping for another 200 today!

Hey, is it possible to combine this petition with the att one?

It seems silly two have two separate petitions unless it's not possible to address it to both carriers at this point.

For reference: ATT petition

vzw: Vzw petition

edit: or get people to sign both? The att OP pretty much copied yours so I don't think hed mind including both links in the post if it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: tydiamond11

davidstre

Feb 25, 2009
NYNY
Hey, is it possible to combine this petition with the att one?

It seems silly two have two separate petitions unless it's not possible to address it to both carriers at this point.

For reference: ATT petition

vzw: Vzw petition

edit: or get people to sign both? The att OP pretty much copied yours so I don't think hed mind including both links in the post if it helps.

I will happily add the att petition to the OP when I'm home from work.

It is best to keep them separate as petitions though. That way it is clear to each provider how many customers are dissatisfied.

Signatures really slowed down today guys, I am doing my part on sharing and promoting but this is definitely a group effort. Petitioning worked for the HTC Rezound and if we work hard it can work here too!!!

Remeber share on other forums and social media!

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
for those who want to install a custom rom i guess you don't need to root your s5 as cyanogenmod installer works even with locked bootloader and without root after having cm you can flash anything u want , the thing is i'm only sure that s2 s3 s4 are supported , s5 support will come for sure the question is when ? i just wanted to give you hope if the petition fails . :)

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

clearly you should read more.

Reactions: Alarand

detr0yt

Dec 8, 2011

thewebsiteisdown

Mar 18, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: davidstre

thewebsiteisdown

Mar 18, 2011
let's push that topic to the top of the Android subreddit in hopes of getting more signs!

I checked just now and the carriers had it down vote bombed, check it out now. It was up voted 10 times then it got bombed last night with 11 down votes exactly making it zero and one troll commented to not buy carrier phones if we want to mess with them...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Petition link is at the bottom of this post.

There was some discussion by Russ77 about starting a petition over in the bounty thread, so I went ahead and made one.

You may think this is a long shot or even a foolish attempt, but the bottom line is it could work. The likeliness of this working goes up with every signature. If you are reading this- SIGN! If this really picks up we may be able to change Verizon's policy all together! It takes maybe 3 seconds to sign so lets get this thing moving!

How Can You Help?
    1. Sign the petition
    2. Get Social- tweet it, facebook it, anything to spread awareness
    3. Share this on other forums and websites

Remember, signing this is great but signing and sharing is even better.

Current Goal: 5,000

Verizon Wireless Petition Link:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/ve...-users-unlocked-bootloader-upon-request#share

AT&T Petition Link:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/ran...axy-s5-users-unlocked-bootloader-upon-request

Acceptable Posts

- Discussion of how to promote petition, spread the word
    - Discussion of how to improve the petition
    - Letting us know you Signed&Shared

Do Not

- post negatively... "won't work" "they don't care" etc.
    - respond to trolls
    There's honestly nothing we can do to get Verizon to change their minds. They don't care about our freedom.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

This discussion isn't about what you can't do. If enough people get together they can make a difference, just look at the anti-GMO movement. Until recently no one had to disclose the use of GMO products, now because of pressure from the consumers, food manufacturers are labelling their products as either having or being free of Genetically Modified Organisms. This is not a law, this is entirely because they fear losing their consumer base. Same principle, so support it or don't, I don't care, but you can't say that nothing will make a difference. If Verizon and the other companies feel the pressure from users like yourself, its sink or swim. They will grant unlock before going down the drain, guarantee it.

Edit- Yes, I realize that GMO products and Cell Phones are worlds apart. The point remains the same. If enough people sign, change will be had. And don't give me the lecture about the FDA doing anything against GMO crops... Who do you think approved the GMO's in the first place? 'Nuff said...
    Hopefully Verizon/AT&T grants our request..if they don't we might have something to look forward to.....

Thanks to @djrbliss aka Dan Rosenberg (He was the one who found Loki exploit)

After providing a review of prior work in TrustZone exploitation, this talk will describe a previously unpublished vulnerability in this TrustZone implementation, and provide details on steps taken to exploit this vulnerability. The talk will conclude with a discussion of the ramifications of this vulnerability and others like it, including a live demonstration of using it to permanently unlock the bootloader of a major Android phone.

https://www.blackhat.com/us-14/briefings.html#reflections-on-trusting-trustzone

We won't find out the exact details until the Black Hat 2014 conference which is in early August :)
    Hey Everyone,

I will no longer be promoting this petition or checking this thread. I've decided not to purchase an S5 and the truly foul attitude of nearly everyone in the S5 forum does not leave me inclined to selflessly keep it going. If anyone would like to take it over just shoot me a PM.

Edit: I wanted to explain.. a major part of this decision was due to a huge amount of abusive messages I received over this thread. I come onto this site to learn, teach the little I can, and honestly make friends. The S5 forums are not conducive to any of this and the atmosphere on this forum is a major factor on why I chose to not buy an S5.

I may reopen this thread and resume promoting the petition down the line when I cool off.

Special thanks to @thewebsiteisdown for all the help and support.

Please do NOT respond to this post in the thread.

Best of luck.

Keep it friendly and on topic here, or this thread will have to be closed down.