[Kernel][GB] holoNote Kernel 0.1 (Ghost Touch detection removed)

Search This thread

macked

Apr 12, 2011
Springfield MA
Maybe its just placebo effect, but everything that requires touch input, which is basically everything, seems ALOT smoother with this kernel. Much thanks!

sent from my iPhone killers killer, Samsung Galaxy Note.

Plexicle

Feb 13, 2012
Tampa, Florida
As always, we appreciate the time holo!

I had a quick question, if anyone who has flashed this already is willing to test for me. It's more of a hunch.

Some of you may be aware that our stock phones have been plagued by a Swype bug that makes it near impossible to use (at least with any kind of speed.) If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, bring up a Swype board and just try Swyping back and forth quickly. Swype will input a lot of random small words because it can't keep up.

Now do that on any other phone and you can't get it to chop up like that. It makes Swype worthless if you swipe too quickly. The current theory is that it has something to do with the aspect ratio and resolution, but I'm wondering if this kernel improved this specific issue for anyone?

In any case, I will be flashing later today when I get home from work today anyway. Thanks again!

dkirchik

Aug 23, 2009
Benicia
As always, we appreciate the time holo!

I had a quick question, if anyone who has flashed this already is willing to test for me. It's more of a hunch.

Some of you may be aware that our stock phones have been plagued by a Swype bug that makes it near impossible to use (at least with any kind of speed.) If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, bring up a Swype board and just try Swyping back and forth quickly. Swype will input a lot of random small words because it can't keep up.

Now do that on any other phone and you can't get it to chop up like that. It makes Swype worthless if you swipe too quickly. The current theory is that it has something to do with the aspect ratio and resolution, but I'm wondering if this kernel improved this specific issue for anyone?

In any case, I will be flashing later today when I get home from work today anyway. Thanks again!

I just tried Swyping consolidated purchasing incorporated it didn't chop up for me at all. I'm pretty sure I am a fast Swyper. Hope it helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Reactions: Plexicle

Plexicle

Feb 13, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I just tried Swyping consolidated purchasing incorporated it didn't chop up for me at all. I'm pretty sure I am a fast Swyper. Hope it helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

That gives me tremendous hope, friend! Thanks for trying that out for me! An easier way would just be to take your pointer finger and swipe back and forth stupidly fast, :). It will either not do anything (that's a good thing) or it will keep thinking that you ghost-lifted your finger and then kept going and enter random small words. Either way, thanks!

songyop

Sep 17, 2010
That gives me tremendous hope, friend! Thanks for trying that out for me! An easier way would just be to take your pointer finger and swipe back and forth stupidly fast, :). It will either not do anything (that's a good thing) or it will keep thinking that you ghost-lifted your finger and then kept going and enter random small words. Either way, thanks!

I just tried what you asked for. It either registers a couple of correct letters that I was hovering over or comes up with a message "Please try again!" I think it's working very nicely on my phone now. :D

Reactions: Plexicle

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState
For your pleasure, here is a new kernel for the ATT Galaxy Note. This kernel is forked from Da_G's Overclock kernel, so you are still getting all the features of that excellent piece of code.

For those a bit confused as to what 'Ghost thouch' is, and why it is removed:

Samsung added a bit of code to the touchscreen driver on the non-intl version of the note to detect 'ghost' touch input events, similar to the raindrop detection on the original Motorola Atrix (and others). While a nice idea on paper, this had un-intended consequences when trying to perform multi-touch input that continues longer than around 5 seconds; such as playing some games. It is now disabled in this kernel.

Edit: There also seems to be a pleasant side effect that I hadn't noticed... keyboard input is improved. Makes sense I suppose, since now there isn't this constant check for false touches slowing things down. Let me know if you see this on your device.

Please READ:

1. I have only tested this kernel on the ATT Galaxy Note running stock rom
2. This kernel has no option to turn ghost touch detection on and off (I am considering this for version 0.2)
3. I will likely not fix the issues where more than 6 fingers are not reliably detected.... why do you need that many fingers on the screen??
4. As always, you are flashing something on to your expensive phone and it very well could kill you, burn [more] holes in the ozone layer, intoxicate innocent kittens, etc. (oh, and break your phone). You always flash at your own risk.
5. The only change at the moment over Da_G's 0.2 kernel is the touchscreen stated above. As such, all the other good or bad remains the same.

Have fun, Let me know what you think.

Heard from:
Saurom RC4 -- Works fine
TPC V2 -- Works fine
Rogers -- Works fine

Kallsyms version of my Kernel is now up (file ending with suffix 'k'). Please confirm that it is working for you guys that use that feature (I do not).

An oversight of mine has resulted in android reporting kernel version unavailable. This should be fixed tonight but im the meantime, apps such as cpuspy reports correct kernel name.

https://github.com/hololight/sgh-i717-kernel

Looks good, but can you create a version of you kernel without su and busybox? Some of us would prefer it not to install "su" and "busybox" at each boot.

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
The kernel should not be installing su and busybox at each boot. This kernel uses Da_G's su/busybox install script to install su/busybox. Once installed, it should never install again. Granted, su and busybox are forever in the ramdisk, and it is checked each boot.

lpsi2000

Jan 16, 2004
TriState
The kernel should not be installing su and busybox at each boot. This kernel uses Da_G's su/busybox install script to install su/busybox. Once installed, it should never install again. Granted, su and busybox are forever in the ramdisk, and it is checked each boot.

I understand that, this the same reason why Da_G created one without one with su and busybox. Having su and busybox being installed in "/" root of the file system is a problem if you are trying to remove root or hide root.

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
This kernel like the dagkernel doesn't seem to save the governor upon reboot. The speeds seems to work on reboot just fine. But it always goes back to Ondemand on reboot...

By the way, I love the removal of the ghost touch thing. I had no idea it was even there, but it was causing some weird lag that is now gone! I thought the Note just had a crappy touch screen, looks like it was just the software. Nice...

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
Omniphil: what are you using to set clock and governor? I am not having this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
Omniphil: what are you using to set clock and governor? I am not having this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

No issue here either, using SETCPU with different profiles and everything have no problem with reboots changing settings.

Please hit THANKS button if I help you, I have very low self esteem, and I crave validation! Sent from my Team EOS ICS Xoom

Reactions: fatrabitt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notice: Saurom RCV users, there is a fix so that you can flash other kernels. The problem was caused by an incompatible library being flashed over Saurom's RTL modded library. In the future, my kernels will ship without modified libraries, and a cwm zip containing only the libraries will be offered (for those who need them).

For your pleasure, here is a new kernel for the ATT Galaxy Note. This kernel is forked from Da_G's Overclock kernel, so you are still getting all the features of that excellent piece of code.

Samsung added a bit of code to the touchscreen driver on the non-intl version of the note to detect 'ghost' touch input events, similar to the raindrop detection on the original Motorola Atrix (and others). While a nice idea on paper, this had un-intended consequences when trying to perform multi-touch input that continues longer than around 5 seconds; such as playing some games. It is now disabled in this kernel.

Edit: There also seems to be a pleasant side effect that I hadn't noticed... keyboard input is improved. Makes sense I suppose, since now there isn't this constant check for false touches slowing things down. Let me know if you see this on your device.

Please READ:

2. This kernel has no option to turn ghost touch detection on and off (I am considering this for version 0.2)
    3. I will likely not fix the issues where more than 6 fingers are not reliably detected.... why do you need that many fingers on the screen??
    4. As always, you are flashing something on to your expensive phone and it very well could kill you, burn [more] holes in the ozone layer, intoxicate innocent kittens, etc. (oh, and break your phone). You always flash at your own risk.
    5. The only change at the moment over Da_G's 0.2 kernel is the touchscreen stated above. As such, all the other good or bad remains the same.

Heard from:
    Saurom RC4 -- Works fine
    Saurom RC5 -- holoNote kernel is bundled already, but if you want to flash a different kernel you must apply a cwm zip containing a RTL modded lib

TPC V2 -- Works fine
    Rogers -- Works fine

Kallsyms version of my Kernel is now up (file ending with suffix 'k'). Please confirm that it is working for you guys that use that feature (I do not).
    Per request: Version without su/busybox (and install script) is now up. Please NOTE: this kernel does not remove root, just no longer installs root.

An oversight of mine has resulted in android reporting kernel version unavailable. Apps such as cpuspy report correct kernel name/ version.

Update coming soon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

Please READ:

Any chance of getting this with the kallsysms function that DA_G implemented in one version of his kernel 0.2? Thanks it would allow us more screen improvement with the touchscreentune app available (which works well to re-calibrate the pens offsets btw)?

Heard from:
    Saurom RC4 -- Works fine

Please hit THANKS button if I help you, I have very low self esteem, and I crave validation! Sent from my Team EOS ICS Xoom
    wait .

both full wipe and non wipe of saurom contians the holo kernel 'K' version .

back on saurom 4 I did flash your cwm kernel on top no problem

Edit 1

will go back and forward right now just to see what sup .

Edit 2

flashed holoNoteKernel-0.1-2-k.zip on top of RCV (the one already present in the rom ) result : phone stuck at samsung logo ...

Flashed DA_G 's kernel (OC v2) still stuck .

Edit 3 : flashing DA_G 's V1 via odin .. still stuck ????????????

Edit 4 Flashing the non wipe update of V5 that includes the 'k' kernel phone boots

Flashing V5 non wipe on top of V5 non wipe phone boots just fine again .

both updater script and lib files are just the same . NExt will try to flash GA_G 's kernel on top of sauromV see whats up.

So whats with all the wierdness ?
    Thank you for this. It is VERY nice to have another Dev here for this huge piece of awesomeness!!! I appreciate your work.

BTW, everyone needs to hit thanks even if you are not going to use this kernel...and why are we asking for updates already?? Sit back and enjoy the ride!! Appreciate what we have!!