[Q] CWM Recovery restoring nandroid backup and USB mounting in recovery

Search This thread

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
I did a search to try and find an answer but couldn't find anything, so apologies if it has already been asked/answered..

Alrighty, so I got my shiny new Nexus 7 Flo for Christmas, and rooted it straight away. Everything seems to be fine, but just realised i hadn't done a nandroid backup yet. Once the backup was finished, I rebooted so I could move the backup to my laptop to free up ~4gb from my Nexus, but the backup location is different from the normal /sdcard/ClockworkMod/Backup, and I finally found it (using a root file manager) in data/media/clockworkmod/backup.

SO, my question is this..
Since it is apparent that Nexus 7 doesn't support USB Mass Storage Mode, I cannot access said nandroid backup without using a root file manager to move it to my MTP-accessible /sdcard folder, then moving to my laptop. That being the case, if something funky were to happen to my tablet and require me to restore the nandroid backup, how would I be able to put the nandroid backup back onto my tablet, since it would require the root file manager to move (which I obviously wouldn't be able to use if I'm in a bootloop for example).

As i was typing this I thought that mounting USB storage in recovery might do the trick, but nothing appears in My Computer when I select mount USB storage in CWM..

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

-Nexus 7 2013, stock 4.4.2/stock kernel, CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.4.3

Last edited:

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
I did a search to try and find an answer but couldn't find anything, so apologies if it has already been asked/answered..

Alrighty, so I got my shiny new Nexus 7 Flo for Christmas, and rooted it straight away. Everything seems to be fine, but just realised i hadn't done a nandroid backup yet. Once the backup was finished, I rebooted so I could move the backup to my laptop to free up ~4gb from my Nexus, but the backup location is different from the normal /sdcard/ClockworkMod/Backup, and I finally found it (using a root file manager) in data/media/clockworkmod/backup.

Since it is apparent that Nexus 7 doesn't support USB Mass Storage Mode, I cannot access said nandroid backup without using a root file manager to move it to my MTP-accessible /sdcard folder, then moving to my laptop. That being the case, if something funky were to happen to my tablet and require me to restore the nandroid backup, how would I be able to put the nandroid backup back onto my tablet, since it would require the root file manager to move (which I obviously wouldn't be able to use if I'm in a bootloop for example).

As i was typing this I thought that mounting USB storage in recovery might do the trick, but nothing appears in My Computer when I select mount USB storage in CWM..

if you have adb set up correctly and the path variable set - just navigate to where you want to save your Nandroid and type:
Code:
adb pull /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/

To put it back on your device you can use adb push for single files or the entire directory contents to wherever you want to put the files on your device.

Code:
adb push /path/to/saved/file_or_directory  /target_dir_on_device

Then restore using cwm or twrp as needed.

Alternatively you could also use fastboot to flash your recovery images.

hope this helps,
Cheers!

Reactions: DrRuckingFetard

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
Ahh i didn't even think of using adb pull to work around this, thanks heaps!

Any ideas as to why I can't mount usb storage within recovery?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

USB is not native on the Nexus 7 Flo so USB only works with an stick mount type app. I don't know if any will do this without root but you can't mount USB in recovery regardless. As to how to get a nandroid to your tablet, adb is your friend. 4GB is a an unusually huge nandroid. I always recommend keeping a nandroid or at least a ROM zip on you internal memory to flash. It save some hassles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
USB is not native on the Nexus 7 Flo so USB only works with an stick mount type app. I don't know if any will do this without root but you can't mount USB in recovery regardless. As to how to get a nandroid to your tablet, adb is your friend. 4GB is a an unusually huge nandroid. I always recommend keeping a nandroid or at least a ROM zip on you internal memory to flash. It save some hassles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm not referring to mounting a USB stick to the tablet, I already use stickmount for that. I'm talking about mounting the Nexus to the computer so files can be moved to it while in recovery.

As for the nandroid file size, it's 4gb because of my apps/app data backed up within it.. If there is a way to nandroid backup without also backing up /data folder I'd love to know how (but I'll also feel like an idiot because I've been trying to work out how to do that for a while lol..)

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
If you are using Obackup ( Online Nandroid Backup ) you can select your partitions if you do a custom backup. You could also do it the hard way using the Linux dd command for the partitions you want in your backup

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
If you are using Obackup ( Online Nandroid Backup ) you can select your partitions if you do a custom backup. You could also do it the hard way using the Linux dd command for the partitions you want in your backup

1551723_10151880388103093_477875225_n.jpg

That sounds like a great idea, but with an upload speed of 30kb/s to dropbox with my internet connection, I wouldn't even bother trying to upload a file this size lol...

Any other way to perform a nandroid backup without the /data folder included?

Okay so I actually just noticed the first line of the XDA post about it (whoops)-

:good:Make a backup, zip it and upload it on your Dropbox or Google Drive in ONE CLICK only !!! (upload is just a feature, you can make the backup and just keep it on your device)

I'll give that a go then since it will let me select partitions to backup, thank you! :D

Last edited:

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
Okay so I got the app, tried looking through the XDA thread for it to find an answer but it didn't really explain many of the options so here's my next n00b question(s)-

1. Backup type: use "CWM Full" or "CWM Incremental"? What's the difference?

2. Being that the CWM Recovery nandroid location is /data/media/clockworkmod/backup, should I set OBackup to save to this location or leave it at the default /mnt/sdcard, and if I do, will it still be recognised within recovery to restore said backup?

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
Okay so I got the app, tried looking through the XDA thread for it to find an answer but it didn't really explain many of the options so here's my next n00b question(s)-

1. Backup type: use "CWM Full" or "CWM Incremental"? What's the difference?

2. Being that the CWM Recovery nandroid location is /data/media/clockworkmod/backup, should I set OBackup to save to this location or leave it at the default /mnt/sdcard, and if I do, will it still be recognised within recovery to restore said backup?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup

It appears I don't have permissions to upload an attachment...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101829893094741883826/posts/SUMLDu313EG
The example here is for a backup without the data partition.

You can save the nandoid to the /sdcard/ directory - because I use TWRP mine go to /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/<device serial number>

For CWM I am not sure of the option but it would be custom if you only want certain partitions.
regardless as long as you know where it is you can restore it. If you use nandroid manager it will scan and find your backup paths for you and restore them, or again you can just point your recovery to them.

Last edited:

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney

It appears I don't have permissions to upload an attachment...
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101829893094741883826/posts/SUMLDu313EG

you can save the nandoid to the /sdcard/ directory becuae I use TWRP mine go to /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/<device serial number>

If i selected /data/media as the backup directory, would that make the backup visible within recovery now wouldn't it? Tried using Obackup and backed up to /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod but recovery didn't see any backups on the device..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390376826553.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1390376826553.png
    196 KB · Views: 98

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
oh and I never bother trying to save uncompressed backups to drop box they take forever. I usually just adb pull them to my desktop then stash an archival copy on dvd . zipping and uploading to drive/box/dropbox are also good options but as you said they take a very long time. It is just easier for me to maintain multiple copies on different computers and media in the house...

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

If i selected /data/media as the backup directory, would that make the backup visible within recovery now wouldn't it? Tried using Obackup and backed up to /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod but recovery didn't see any backups on the device..

I think that cwm looks for the backup in a oddball location. Cant remember exactly where off the top of my head. Its late and I'm tired. Nandroid manager should be able to find it though.

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
For CWM I am not sure of the option but it would be custom if you only want certain partitions.
regardless as long as you know where it is you can restore it. If you use nandroid manager it will scan and find your backup paths for you and restore them, or again you can just point your recovery to them.

There's no option within CWM to select which partitions to backup, or to select backup/restore locations, but it has the advanced options to restore selected partitions, which doesn't really help for now..

I'm more concerned if I get into a bootloop, and my recovery can't find my nandroid backups to restore to..

Last edited:

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
Yeah I understand your concern. If I am not mistaken the reason you cant see the backup is because it is in protected storage. I think cwm does this by design now... Have you tired booting into recovery and looking for it in cwm?Once you figure out where cwm saves it you can tell online nandroid to save it there, or you could just boot to recovery and do your nandroid directly from cwm. Personally I prefer to do it "online" so I don't have to reboot...

I really cant be of much more assistance directly becuase I don't have CWM on the device right now, but It looks to me like you pretty much have it licked. I'll check back after I get some sleep and If you are still having issues I'll flash cwm and see if I can be of any further assistance.

Last edited:

DrRuckingFetard

Sep 5, 2013
Sydney
Yeah I understand your concern. If I am not mistaken the reason you cant see the backup is because it is in protected storage. I think cwm does this by design now... Have you tired booting into recovery and looking for it in cwm?Once you figure out where cwm saves it you can tell online nandroid to save it there, or you could just boot to recovery and do your nandroid directly from cwm. Personally I prefer to do it "online" so I don't have to reboot...

I really cant be of much more assistance directly becuase I don't have CWM on the device right now, but It looks to me like you pretty much have it licked. I'll check back after I get some sleep and If you are still having issues I'll flash cwm and see if I can be of any further assistance.

Okay so I just did a custom nandroid within the app you linked me to, and set it to save in /data/media and booted into recovery, and CWM now sees the backup :good:
That's pretty much my problems solved now, seems i'll have to use adb as you mentioned to pull the backup from my device to store on my laptop/portable HDD, and then push it back if needed, thanks very much for your help! :D

Reactions: oldsoldier2003

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

if you have adb set up correctly and the path variable set - just navigate to where you want to save your Nandroid and type:
    Code:
    adb pull /data/media/clockworkmod/backup/

To put it back on your device you can use adb push for single files or the entire directory contents to wherever you want to put the files on your device.

Code:
    adb push /path/to/saved/file_or_directory  /target_dir_on_device

Then restore using cwm or twrp as needed.

Alternatively you could also use fastboot to flash your recovery images.

hope this helps,
    Cheers!

Okay so I just did a custom nandroid within the app you linked me to, and set it to save in /data/media and booted into recovery, and CWM now sees the backup :good:
    That's pretty much my problems solved now, seems i'll have to use adb as you mentioned to pull the backup from my device to store on my laptop/portable HDD, and then push it back if needed, thanks very much for your help! :D