Flickering screen

Search This thread

JimmyEatFood

I have noticed that my screen is flickering ever so slightly in all applications. it is bearable but slightly annoying. Could this be hardware related and will I have grounds for a warrenty replacement? should I wait and see if any OTAs resolve it?

Everything is stock. Brightness is set to auto.

I have problems with shadowgun crashing when there is an explosion etc. possibly related?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

backstabz0r

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, i noticed this too on my One X :( I've mostly seen it while my mobile data connection was on, and it seems to decrease a lot but not completely disappear when it's off. I also got a weird message yesterday while charging, saying something along the lines of "your phone is using too much current, -" (the message was in dutch, not sure what the exact message is in english) my phone turned off before I could completely read it. I wonder if those issues are somehow related. Maybe the screens backlight isn't getting enough power when the radio is on. Anyways, I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on that.

I also heard the tegra 3 drivers are buggy, so shadowgun crashing and performance drops etc. will hopefully be resolved in future updates.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
I've got it as well I think it's a driver issue the last thing I want to do is go for a replacement and that to have more dud stuff as this is the only dud thing on mine. Everything else is fine apart from flickers now and then.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mehuldave25

Jun 5, 2011
See developer option

I have noticed that my screen is flickering ever so slightly in all applications. it is bearable but slightly annoying. Could this be hardware related and will I have grounds for a warrenty replacement? should I wait and see if any OTAs resolve it?

Everything is stock. Brightness is set to auto.

I have problems with shadowgun crashing when there is an explosion etc. possibly related?

hey jimmy go to Menu->settings-> Developer options and untick all the option restart your phone and magic..... screen flickering will disappear

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Yeah, i noticed this too on my One X :( I've mostly seen it while my mobile data connection was on, and it seems to decrease a lot but not completely disappear when it's off. I also got a weird message yesterday while charging, saying something along the lines of "your phone is using too much current, -" (the message was in dutch, not sure what the exact message is in english) my phone turned off before I could completely read it. I wonder if those issues are somehow related. Maybe the screens backlight isn't getting enough power when the radio is on. Anyways, I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on that.

I also heard the tegra 3 drivers are buggy, so shadowgun crashing and performance drops etc. will hopefully be resolved in future updates.

@backstabz0r for screen flickering pls refer to my earlier ans and for your problem which you got warning message thats common warning you get when you have put phone in charge and if you using it for gaming which consumpts more nergy then, message will be" battery consumption is more then the supply"
so suggest ou to let battery get charged till 30 % and then use it for gaming or any other apps

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
I've read a few threads here regarding the flicker and it seems some people are confusing flicker with something that I really don't know what to call.

Flicker for me is when there's a stroboscope-ish effect, like when you place your sight just above an old CRT monitor, or when a fluorescent light is on it's last breath. Not when what you see on the screen makes random movements a few pixels in any direction.

I have flicker on my HOX. But it's only noticeable on lower brightness levels. This happens in all applications and in settings menu, everything with white or light grey background, so not related to badly written apps. But I wonder if this really CAN be software related? Has this happened with other models from various manufacturers?

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
I've read a few threads here regarding the flicker and it seems some people are confusing flicker with something that I really don't know what to call.

Flicker for me is when there's a stroboscope-ish effect, like when you place your sight just above an old CRT monitor, or when a fluorescent light is on it's last breath. Not when what you see on the screen makes random movements a few pixels in any direction.

I have flicker on my HOX. But it's only noticeable on lower brightness levels. This happens in all applications and in settings menu, everything with white or light grey background, so not related to badly written apps. But I wonder if this really CAN be software related? Has this happened with other models from various manufacturers?

I've got what your describing quite a few users have. I believe it could be down to the drivers for the Soc. Might just need a driver update. Only the next update we can tell if this fixes the issue or not. We need to pressure HTC regarding this issue.

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
I've got what your describing quite a few users have. I believe it could be down to the drivers for the Soc. Might just need a driver update. Only the next update we can tell if this fixes the issue or not. We need to pressure HTC regarding this issue.

But is it really possible that a driver issue can cause flicker? I've never seen it before.

I tweeted @htcdev earlier today about it but no response yet. I wonder what the best way to make htc aware of this is. Contacting their lousy customer support feels pointless, it won't reach the people who actually can make an impact.

JimmyEatFood

This is what I have, but its far worse on higher brightness levels.

Reactions: jras87

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Right guys untick animations in Developer options, restart give it a while, go into camera you'll notice glitches, play a YouTube video you'll notice green bar on the left hand side of the screen in full screen mode. Untick animations and this disappears. It's worrying not sure what to do now.

Edit: can't repeat this but will keep trying as something did trigger it off for the screen to go like that.

Last edited:

backstabz0r

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, with flicker I didn't mean anything like having low fps when scrolling through stuff. I meant a quite noticable fluctuation in the brightness of the backlight if that makes sense. It is indeed quite like a CRT monitor with a low refresh rate. I haven't seen it yet when my screen brightness was high, but I'm not sure if it doesn't occur on higher brightness settings. It is also not constantly flickering, It only seems to act up when my mobile data connection is active, although I have seen a very slight flickering with data turned off. I really hope this isn't a hardware issue, the rest of my phone is pretty much perfect and I'd rather not send it in for a replacement after all the trouble I had with my sensation :/

Last edited:

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
I have the flicker issue, the screen flickers near the center a little bit to the right though, and it is reall irratating, but i can only see it when viewing pictures and on greys.

I hope it isn't hardware!!

tried all the ideas given to stop it but none work for me, still seems to flicker :(

PaulBelfast

Apr 10, 2012
Me too

I have the screen flickering too.

Im reluctant to return it as apart from this the handset is solid.

It on appears on certain colours making me think its software related.

Reactions: AndroidInsanity

dr9722

Oct 8, 2008
Newhaven
I also have the exact same flicking issue. From what I have heard it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Just to be on the safeside though I am returning my One X to Phones4U for a replacement. Will be interesting to see if the replacement has the same issue.

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
I made a thorough check yesterday. I downloaded a brightness control app where you can write what brightness level you want so i tried from 3% which was the lowest possible step by step up to 15%. At 15 the flicker stops so its not 30 as I said before. this is my only issue too so I dont dare to replace it just to get a worse phone. My sister is getting one next week so gonna compare them.

nickp123

Feb 28, 2011
I noticed this too, but i believe its a software issue only. When I unlock the phone, the screen flickers while sense runs and the three menu button appears then goes. Once its all settled its fine. I believe this is to do with sense rather than a phone issue, and will be addressed via OTA.

dr9722

Oct 8, 2008
Newhaven
I noticed this too, but i believe its a software issue only. When I unlock the phone, the screen flickers while sense runs and the three menu button appears then goes. Once its all settled its fine. I believe this is to do with sense rather than a phone issue, and will be addressed via OTA.

Not so sure about it being a specific Sense issue as I have noticed the screen flicking in 3rd party apps such as Spotify.

johnbhoy89

Mar 18, 2012
Phones4U are sending me out a bag to send it back so hopefully should have a replacement by Monday or Tuesday.

I phoned dialaphone there, i made them aware of the problem with my phone, told them if it wasnt fixed with the update then I would like to replace my phone, told me I had until next tuesday to see if its fixed, until I reminded her about distance selling regulations which gives me 28 days from receiving the handset.

dr9722

Oct 8, 2008
Newhaven
I phoned dialaphone there, i made them aware of the problem with my phone, told them if it wasnt fixed with the update then I would like to replace my phone, told me I had until next tuesday to see if its fixed, until I reminded her about distance selling regulations which gives me 28 days from receiving the handset.

You do indeed have 28 days to return your phone however I wouldn't count on HTC releasing an update before then :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serious screen prolems

I bought a HTC Once X and experienced some flickering on grays, for example when clicking on the homebutton twice, where you can see the gray empty screens. There is also a problem when watching youtube on fullscreen - there is some screen glitchng but as soon as i play video with the player controlls the problem disappeared. So i thought it was hardware error, and i returned the phone and got a new one. The same problems appear again on the the second phone. I hope this is a software/driver issue. The screen flickering also appears when you change window in the browser - the animation between two browserwindows. I have uploaded, several examples on youtube, so click on all to see the big picture.

Software information for the phone:
    Android version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense version: 4.0
    Software number:1.26.401.2
    HTC SDK API level: 4.11
    HTC Extension version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_3

Kernel Version: 2.6.39.4-G6B459DC root@ABM032 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 19 14:53:27 CST 2012
    Basebandversion: 1.1204.90.13
    Buildnumber: 1.26.401.2 CL47163 release-keys
    Browser version: WebKit/534.30

Watch the following videos below:

http://youtu.be/3jZJfTAcq2g
    http://youtu.be/4vCZAu8vsV0
    http://youtu.be/M3GierGP6a4
    http://youtu.be/x5rOumuieYM
    http://youtu.be/r8yuKi8nzV0

You can also watch the screenshots here:
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_1.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_2.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_3.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_4.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this as well? I had it on both my phones, and i don't feel it's any use of returning the second one.
    I contacted HTC about the screen flickering issues few days back and they replied that we know a few such cases so this isn't a big deal.
    Today I contacted them again and they said, "

Thanks for the feedback, mohsinraza. We're looking
    into this issue. In the meantime, please get in
    touch with our CS team at http://htc.com/
    support and they should be able to troubleshoot
    your case individually.

UPDATE: 1.28 firmware is PERFECT. I've found 10+ people with 1.26 with buggy devices. Haven't found a single one who had bugs with 1.28.
    Any confirmation of my opinion?
    I think we need some proof of this? A screenshot or something; as nobody believes 1.28 is out as yet.

1.28 is out but only to the Asian market.
    There's an identical thread running in the general section. I posted this there. I'm reposting it here in case it helps provide some insight on how similar problems were encountered and resolved on the Asus Prime.

OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I too have this problem. But its not constant. I guess its software related. After installing lcd test all colors looked fine n solid, which means the issue is software based as hardware never differentiate. Wait before jumping to conclusions, the best place i can home down to is the problem of nvidia settings specially refresh rate. The flickering is nothing but a faulty refresh rate value not hardware issue. Advice wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    Fully agree with this statement ; it has to be something to the OTA can fix as just about every person I have spoke to with a OneX has noticed this at one time or another.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Hi all. I wanna know if this firmware number 1.26.xx is only for UK phones or is this firmware number globally?

Sent from my HTC Desire
    Global... The 1.26 is the same everywhere its the last two bits that change.