Car Installs - Triggering a Tasker Task from Keyboard

Search This thread

bryce007

Dec 29, 2005
Hi,

I am having difficulty getting something I would think easy to work on my Nexus for my car install.

I was wondering how people are getting tasker tasks to be triggered off keyboard hotkeys when using either their Joycon or a standard external keyboard.

It seems from research the way to do this used to be quick launch shortcuts (assigning search key + a letter) to an app or shortcut but it seems these do not work for me in android 4.4?

External keyboard helper lets you launch applications from hotkeys, but seems to give no way of launching tasker tasks.

This is really doing my head in! From youtube it looks like others have no issues doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Well, the only thing I can think of right now is to use a Tasker Scene with a focused textbox to detect the keys. You will have to run this scene as a dialog, and deal with all the complications with that... (touch disabled outside of dialog, etc) but here's another idea.

You could use a mobile bluetooth keyboard (or any keyboard that has volume/brightness keys) and have a Tasker profile pick up a change in the ringer volume variable, this would give you 2 or 3 hotkeys (vol up, down, or mute). If you don't have a keyboard like that you could edit the Android keymappings under /system/usr/keylayout/General.kl to incorporate volume changes under some key.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: bryce007

bryce007

Dec 29, 2005
Good idea with detecting the variable changes! I'm using an Arduino Micro which emulates a keyboard so I will have no problem emulating them via buttons & changing the keyboard layout kl if nessesary. Thanks

Thommy300

Apr 24, 2014
I am currently working on the same topic: Here is my workaround for trigger a task with an external bluetooth keyboard.

• create a task in Tasker
  • create an app of this task with Tasker App Factory
  • remap a key of the keyboard to the new app with External Keyboard Helper

Finish

Maybe this is helpful

Thomas

Reactions: donrobertito

Thommy300

Apr 24, 2014
What are you trying to accomplish?

1. With a bluetooth remote (Satechi BT MediaRemote) i want to switch between the homescreen by pushing a key. (launcher nova and tasker secure settings are necessary)
2. a tasker scenes (dialog) with different options should open by pushing another key. Navigation in the scene should do also with the Bluetooth remote (not yet finish).

The goal is an intuitive handling of the tablet ui in the car with less touch-input on the screen. Something like Audi MMI or BMW idrive.
In my opinion to find icon on the homescreen while driving is difficult.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Here is my current set up.

Nexus 7 (In dash)
Center console mounted volume dial with push to mute (Tablet>dial>amp)
(Not shown in the screencap is that the media widget is also in the Navbar and accessed via a softkey in the navbar)

The console dial was initially a USB 5 button mouse with key remapping but required the amp gain be cranked up which caused issues.

Now for full control you need the following;
(Some of these things can be eliminated with voice controls)
  • Media Control (Previous, Play/Pause, Next, Playlist, etc.)
  • Directional controls (Up, Down, Left, Right)
  • Action Controls (Select, Home, Back, Recent, Menu)
  • Phone Control (Answer, Hangup, Dialpad)
  • SMS Control (Full KB or voice to text using a noise canceling mic)

If you skip voice control and you don't count the dialpad or KB, you need 15 buttons or adaptive input based on what app is running but still need at least 5-6 buttons. I am not sure how involved implementation of adaptive input would be as I gave up after days of trying to get it just right.

With the Satechi BT MediaRemote, you can cover most of this by key remapping but have to remember what keys are what. The advantage of proper key remapping is that it removes the need for additional apps to get it to work.

Seeing that I'm not sure how complete of a setup you are trying to get, it's hard to offer anymore advice.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, the only thing I can think of right now is to use a Tasker Scene with a focused textbox to detect the keys. You will have to run this scene as a dialog, and deal with all the complications with that... (touch disabled outside of dialog, etc) but here's another idea.

You could use a mobile bluetooth keyboard (or any keyboard that has volume/brightness keys) and have a Tasker profile pick up a change in the ringer volume variable, this would give you 2 or 3 hotkeys (vol up, down, or mute). If you don't have a keyboard like that you could edit the Android keymappings under /system/usr/keylayout/General.kl to incorporate volume changes under some key.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
    I am currently working on the same topic: Here is my workaround for trigger a task with an external bluetooth keyboard.

• create a task in Tasker
    • create an app of this task with Tasker App Factory
    • remap a key of the keyboard to the new app with External Keyboard Helper

Finish

Maybe this is helpful

Thomas