[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery (Test) for G2X

Search This thread

ctso

Jan 17, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Read Me First!
This will get CWM on your device's recovery partition and wipe out your stock recovery. If you wish to keep things simpler, just install ROM Manager and "flash" the T-Mobile G2x recovery from there, it doesn't actually overwrite your stock recovery, but it will still let you boot into CWM recovery, only by using ROM Manager, of course.

** Not responsible for any damage done, obviously. **

Instructions
Here is an initial test of CWM recovery for the G2X. You need to use nvflash to flash this, I've packaged it up for you and included a nice bash script to flash it, on Linux.

Pull battery.
Hold VOL UP+VOL DOWN
Plug in USB.

The phone won't do anything, but you should see it under 'lspci'.

Then grab http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/ctso/g2x/nvflash-recovery.tgz

Extract it, and run flash-recovery.sh
You're not stuck on a software upgrade screen, when your computer says the recovery image was transferred successfully, just pull USB and you're done.

Changes
test2 - Properly mount /sdcard to the external SD.
test2 - Fix device name, should be p999 not p990.
test2 - Do not use custom recovery ui, navigate using VOL UP/DOWN and Power to select. (BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON).
test1 - Initialness.

Last edited:

lance713

Mar 20, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, this was fast. I'm already loving the development on this phone.

Too sleepy to try something I'm not familiar with, but thank you SO MUCH for the quick recovery!!! I was afraid I was going to regret leaving the N1 dev scene, but seriously, I don't think I'll notice a difference...

[edit: can't do it anyways.... running windows 7 here.]
[edit 2: wait, now I'm confused. Is the entire thing linux only or just the script? I feel extremely stupid right now.]

Last edited:

stefan.buddle

May 10, 2009
Had a feeling something was going to be released so I had to starly up

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

mapin0518

Dec 15, 2006
Trying to do this in Windows...almost got it... but I need the NVidia APX driver in order for Win7 to recognize the device. Searching...

joackie27

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
sudo ./nvflash --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test1.img

Based on the flash-recovery.sh script above, is there a need for a fastboot.bin file as well?

chrs2021

Mar 23, 2009
For me i have been on the upgrade screen for two - three minutes with no activity, how low is this supposed to take.

also can someone pm me the original framework-res.apk i kind of foobar'd android :(

mapin0518

Dec 15, 2006
For me i have been on the upgrade screen for two - three minutes with no activity, how low is this supposed to take.

also can someone pm me the original framework-res.apk i kind of foobar'd android :(

Same here, stuck on upgrade please wait screen for some time now... not sure what to do !

mapin0518

Dec 15, 2006
Same here, stuck on upgrade please wait screen for some time now... not sure what to do !

Nevermind it worked !!!!!!!!!!!

It was stuck on the wait screen, but i just unplugged and rebooted and it was find. Then I powered down and booted into recovery and low and behold i have ClockWorkMod !!!!

Awesome thank you !!!

mapin0518

Dec 15, 2006
Here's a link to the Windows nvflash and the NVIDIA APX driver:

http://android.modaco.com/content/l...lash-setup-instructions-drivers-links-active/

As OP instructed: Pull battery. Put battery back in. Hold down both Volume buttons while you plug in USB. It should be recognized by Windows as an Nvidia APX device and it will search for drivers. Point it to the the driver folder when Windows asks you where it is. Once the driver is installed, run this command from command prompt:

"nvflash.exe" --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

My phone was stuck on a please wait screen, but after 10 minutes I unplugged it and all was fine. (I ran this in Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit inside a VmWare Fusion virtual machine on a Mac)

Boot into recovery by holding down Power and Volume Down. Volume buttons will scroll up/down and power button will choose selection.

Last edited:

EtherealRemnant

I can't seem to get the NVIDIA APX device part to come up - Windows does nothing when I plug in the USB with both volume up and down held...

EDIT: I don't know WTF the deal is with this thing but it really doesn't like to install drivers for crap... Earlier it refused to recognize ADB then after I left the phone hooked up for a few minutes and was searching for info, it suddenly recognized ADB and installed the driver. Now the first time I tried this, it didn't work. Second battery pull, it works perfectly other than the fact that Windows didn't prompt me for a driver and just said it failed so I had to do it from Device Manager.

Either way, it didn't work. Just like the last person, I was taken right back to the S/W Update screen using the Windows script.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Read Me First!
    This will get CWM on your device's recovery partition and wipe out your stock recovery. If you wish to keep things simpler, just install ROM Manager and "flash" the T-Mobile G2x recovery from there, it doesn't actually overwrite your stock recovery, but it will still let you boot into CWM recovery, only by using ROM Manager, of course.

** Not responsible for any damage done, obviously. **

Instructions
    Here is an initial test of CWM recovery for the G2X. You need to use nvflash to flash this, I've packaged it up for you and included a nice bash script to flash it, on Linux.

Pull battery.
    Hold VOL UP+VOL DOWN
    Plug in USB.

The phone won't do anything, but you should see it under 'lspci'.

Then grab http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/ctso/g2x/nvflash-recovery.tgz

Extract it, and run flash-recovery.sh
    You're not stuck on a software upgrade screen, when your computer says the recovery image was transferred successfully, just pull USB and you're done.

Changes
    test2 - Properly mount /sdcard to the external SD.
    test2 - Fix device name, should be p999 not p990.
    test2 - Do not use custom recovery ui, navigate using VOL UP/DOWN and Power to select. (BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON).
    test1 - Initialness.
    I feel like a dingle berry... Ive rooted and modded every phone Ive ever owned and this all sounds like FRENCH TO ME.
    I am running Windows 7 in parallels on a MBP. I have the folders with the extracted files on the Parallels desktop.
    I power down the phone, remove the battery, hold down volume up/down and plug it in... and nothing. NOTHING shows up in Device Manager, no request to update drivers, nothing at all.
    I have "rinsed and repeated" a dozen times.
    My question now is this, with the difficulty Im having... and the absence of any Roms to flash anyway, would it be wise to wait for an easier way to do this? OR is this the ONLY way that CWM is going to be flashed?
    Sorry for sounding like a noob, Im actually not... but this has me all nuts.

Are you putting the battery BACK IN?

Repost of all required files:
    http://mirror.dal.tdrevolution.net/ctso/g2x/nvflash-recovery.tgz (Recovery images)
    http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/NVFlash.zip (Windows NVFlash app)
    http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/nvmobileboot.rar (APX Driver)

Extract the APX driver to a folder and everything else into another folder (2 Folders)
    Code:
    C:\G2x\APX
    C:\G2x\NVFlash

Here's how I do it.
    Remove the battery
    Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    Plug in the battery
    Insert the cable

Install APX driver from the your APX folder

Unplug everything remove battery
    Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    Plug in Battery
    Insert cable

open command prompt
    navigate to your NVFlash folder
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

You should see it send a bunch of files to the device and the phone screen should say "Updating". Once the files are sent and the program is finished running in the command window, you "can" just pull the battery or be safe and just wait a few extra minutes. I don't think it will reset automatically.

To get into Recovery:
    From Power off:
    Hold Vol Down + Power until you see CWM (takes a second).
    Here's a link to the Windows nvflash and the NVIDIA APX driver:

http://android.modaco.com/content/l...lash-setup-instructions-drivers-links-active/

As OP instructed: Pull battery. Put battery back in. Hold down both Volume buttons while you plug in USB. It should be recognized by Windows as an Nvidia APX device and it will search for drivers. Point it to the the driver folder when Windows asks you where it is. Once the driver is installed, run this command from command prompt:

"nvflash.exe" --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

My phone was stuck on a please wait screen, but after 10 minutes I unplugged it and all was fine. (I ran this in Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit inside a VmWare Fusion virtual machine on a Mac)

Boot into recovery by holding down Power and Volume Down. Volume buttons will scroll up/down and power button will choose selection.
    Right I get that... but the info in the link only takes us as far as nvflash, what's the next step... I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious :p

Actually the instructions are outlined on the OP. It's just that the flash-recovery.sh script is for Linux. If you're on Windows, this post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13079970&postcount=17) might be able to enlighten you.
    You're not stuck on a software upgrade screen, when your computer says the recovery image was transferred successfully, just pull USB from the phone and you're done.

Tools to reboot into recovery from the phone will not work, if you want to you can do this while root (via adb shell or something).

echo "boot-recovery" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 seek=6144 bs=1 ; reboot