New Horizontal Leather Case for the HTC Advantage X7510, X7501, & X7500 by NUTSHELL

Search This thread

cktlcmd

Oct 12, 2005
Farmington, CT; Jackson, NJ
New Horizontal Leather Case for the HTC Advantage X7510, X7501, & X7500 by NUTSHELL

Nutshell: http://tuff-as-nuts.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY

I had contacted Nutshell regarding a customized Horizontal Case (black) that will fully enclosed the HTC Advantage X7510 with the leather pouch included about 2 months ago. I was able to get intouch with Ian Miller and was basically received with open arms. I was asked to submit my design and the dimensions.

The dimensions are: 5.8 inches (lenght) x 4.4 inches (height) x 1.30 inches (depth).

It is closed by a velcro flap that fully covers the top of the case preventing any accidental exposure to the elements.

The back of the case has the D ring and metal belt clip lined with leather. But in all honesty, I think it would have looked better if the metal clip was left without the leather strip cover. It would looked nicer if the silver finish of the metal clip was shown rather than hidden.

But all in all, the case is very well made. The stitches and cuttings were done right and very clean. The case will protect the X7510 and it's leather pouch while having the ability to clip it to your belt or trousers on the go.

I paid $95.00 for the case, but it may become cheaper if it will be popular.

I have attached pictures for you guys and gals to check. I believe NUTSHELL will mass produce them if the demand is high enough.

THANK YOU NUTSHELL (Ian) for a case well done. :D :D :D

Feel free to ask questions...

Attachments

• IMAGE_00001.jpg
    IMAGE_00001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 636
  • IMAGE_00002.jpg
    IMAGE_00002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMAGE_00003.jpg
    IMAGE_00003.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAGE_00004.jpg
    IMAGE_00004.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAGE_00005.jpg
    IMAGE_00005.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 392
  • IMAGE_00006.jpg
    IMAGE_00006.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAGE_00007.jpg
    IMAGE_00007.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAGE_00008.jpg
    IMAGE_00008.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

irus

Jun 29, 2007
nice find as i just bought myself another case :( but this one i like a lot better although the case i bought was only $49

nutshell

Mar 13, 2006
auckland
Thanks Christian. Glad to help.

As this was a prototype, we have not yet given it a part number...but we shall and then post it to our catalog.
With your blessing I"ll use some of the images you have posted here.

Obviously we shall try to price it right, but as the first few will, like this one, be hand cut, pricing will have to stay the same in the short term.

However, if there is an interest (and it has to be considerable to make it worthwhile, we'll likely look at getting the assets that will enable us to run off some volume).

That said, it really is over to the community to determine if this product gets wings...or....?

A suggestion: Maybe someone could open a book to register interest (bulk purchases work best and enable us to finetune our pricing). As I am not a regular on this forum, maybe that someone could run point for me on this.

So it really is over to you guys.
We'll do what we can.
All the best.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Yes of course. Feel free to use it. :D

Nutshell,

Very well taken pictures indeed. Looks like real good quality pouch. Is it made to custom sizes? I normally carry my device without the keyboard, so it is quite a bit thinner and smaller. What would be the total cost shipped to Australia?

Also, a question for cktlcmd. Currently, I have a soft pouch, and taking it out is easy, as I can squeeze the soft pouch to push out the device. With a hard leather one, I imagine it is not easy to squeeze the bottom to force the device upward, so one would have to lift it up. Would that be easy? Or would the device be too slippery for that, even that I carry it naked?

Last edited:

cktlcmd

Oct 12, 2005
Farmington, CT; Jackson, NJ
Also, a question for cktlcmd. Currently, I have a soft pouch, and taking it out is easy, as I can squeeze the soft pouch to push out the device. With a hard leather one, I imagine it is not easy to squeeze the bottom to force the device upward, so one would have to lift it up. Would that be easy? Or would the device be too slippery for that, even that I carry it naked?

In my case, since it also houses the X7510 with keyboard and the leather case, it is not slippery at all. It is easy to grab it on top and just pull it out. The case itself is not made of really hard leather plus it is lined inside with felt like skin to protect the device from being scratched by the case itself. The technique I use to get it out fast is to pull on top and press each sides of the case because that is where I notice the greatest hold on the device occurs.

In your case, since you will probably want Nutshell to adjust the measurements to accommodate just the device, it won't even be a problem because of the soft felt lining, it will just slid easily in and out.

It trully is a nice case. I wish they had designed it like this from the start.

Last edited:

wgary

Mar 5, 2006
Auburn, AL
Thanks Christian. Glad to help.

As this was a prototype, we have not yet given it a part number...but we shall and then post it to our catalog.
With your blessing I"ll use some of the images you have posted here.

Obviously we shall try to price it right, but as the first few will, like this one, be hand cut, pricing will have to stay the same in the short term.

However, if there is an interest (and it has to be considerable to make it worthwhile, we'll likely look at getting the assets that will enable us to run off some volume).

That said, it really is over to the community to determine if this product gets wings...or....?

A suggestion: Maybe someone could open a book to register interest (bulk purchases work best and enable us to finetune our pricing). As I am not a regular on this forum, maybe that someone could run point for me on this.

So it really is over to you guys.
We'll do what we can.
All the best.
I am very interested!

nutshell

Mar 13, 2006
auckland
Another case?

Very well taken pictures indeed. Looks like real good quality pouch. Is it made to custom sizes? I normally carry my device without the keyboard, so it is quite a bit thinner and smaller. What would be the total cost shipped to Australia?

I have listed the product for the x7510 in our catalog:
Horizontal belt case for HTC x7510

Sure, we can make you a slimmer horizontal case.
Costs would be the same.
We would need the dimensions without the keyboard.

Shipping to Oz from NZ depends on how quickly you would want one.

Contact me through the website.
tuff-as-nuts.com

wgary

Mar 5, 2006
Auburn, AL
Will the 7510 case also fit the 7500/7501? My understanding is that they are the same dimensions... Anyone know offhand?

Bright Neon

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for the topic

Have anyone ever seen a vertical case for X7500 for the use without the external keyboard?

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
This is a bit off-topic, but personally I find the HW keyboard to be the ultimate screen-protector and would not dream of leaving home without it (even though I use my Advantage in portrait-mode 95% of the time).

On-topic again I would guess that one could use any case made for the 7510 WITH keyboard as this unit is just a bit thinner than the original 7500/7501.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
This is a bit off-topic, but personally I find the HW keyboard to be the ultimate screen-protector and would not dream of leaving home without it (even though I use my Advantage in portrait-mode 95% of the time).

On-topic again I would guess that one could use any case made for the 7510 WITH keyboard as this unit is just a bit thinner than the original 7500/7501.

No. The keyboard is the most effective way to ruin your device with scratches. Take it away if you want your unit to look new all the time. If you really must have the keybaord, put a piece of cloth between the unit and the keyboard to prevent them from rubbing against each other.

Last edited:

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
We have different experiences then eaglesteve. I have used my HTC X7500 for well more than a year with the original book cover (with the 3 clips) and have only miniscule scratches on the keyboard itself, not on the main unit.
I now also have the Piel Frama Case (since a month ago) and with this case it would be even more difficult to scratch the unit with the keyboard.
And even if this was NOT the case I would much rather have endured a scratch or two than having my screen broken due to a fall or pointed item pressing against it (even in the pouch). The solid steel of the keyboard over the screen gives me an ease of mind I will not trade for the sake of a marginally smaller "package" to carry around.

And now, with the vertical Nutshell-Pouch I hope to enjoy my Advantage X7500 for a long time since no better device (for my needs) seems forthcoming from HTC or any other manufacturer.

Last edited:

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
I agree with eaglesteve - I've had more scratches/rub-marks from the keyboard than from anything else. Keeping the keyboard as a screen protector is a non-issue, just make sure the screen faces towards your body when its in a pouch, or in a pocket. On the weekends I leave my Nutshell and the keyboard at home, and just face the screen towards my leg in my pocket.

patratel

Jun 28, 2008
I agree with eaglesteve - I've had more scratches/rub-marks from the keyboard than from anything else. Keeping the keyboard as a screen protector is a non-issue, just make sure the screen faces towards your body when its in a pouch, or in a pocket. On the weekends I leave my Nutshell and the keyboard at home, and just face the screen towards my leg in my pocket.

Here you can find a scratch proof leather case. Also cheap and black (more elegant) colour.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370063633176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=024

Attachments

• C_DopodU100004_b.jpg
    C_DopodU100004_b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 54

wgary

Mar 5, 2006
Auburn, AL
finally after many, many tries, a case that really works. well made. beautiful. sturdy. i got the mag lock. very nice, highly recommended.

mahjong

Mar 8, 2005
El Escorial
wintablet.info
Received last week.

Well finished... and the quality is according the price.

The X7500 fits perfectly even with it's case. Since I'm not placing the X7500 in the case with the original one there is place for my backup battery.

Great job Nutshell

nswprop

Dec 20, 2007
This case is nice! But I always wanted a case that would allow me to hold my X7500 without the keyboard,so it would look like a slim and supersized-screen IPOD! That I can put into my pocket easily..like an IPOD.:D

So, I have a question for Nutshell: can you build us one? But I can someone here volunteer to provide some dimentions for an X7500 or X7501, coz I really sucked at the whole designing and measurement thing, afraid I would screw up the whole thing.