[SMS INCREASE] REMOVE the 160+ SMS Limit on WP7 for HTC Arrive GOLD_C

Search This thread

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
Tower Issue

Ok, so I have now confirmed that the 160 character limit is dependent on the towers near you. I just tested texting while roaming on Verizon with the exact same setup as before. The tweak works. No wonder it wasn't working for me! It now makes sense why Sprint disabled this option!

Reactions: turdsamich

turdsamich

Jul 15, 2011
Bishopville, MD
Ok, so I have now confirmed that the 160 character limit is dependent on the towers near you. I just tested texting while roaming on Verizon with the exact same setup as before. The tweak works. No wonder it wasn't working for me! It now makes sense why Sprint disabled this option!

Now, if you get it working off of one tower does that mean once the fix is in it will work on the tower it previously did not work at or will texting be broken?

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
Now, if you get it working off of one tower does that mean once the fix is in it will work on the tower it previously did not work at or will texting be broken?

I don't think so, though I have yet to find out for sure. I will try this once I am home. It wouldn't make any sense at all if it now worked at the previously non-working towers, because it doesn't have anything to do with the phone and just with the Sprint network towers. I'll post back just in case.

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
hmmmm....

I don't think so, though I have yet to find out for sure. I will try this once I am home. It wouldn't make any sense at all if it now worked at the previously non-working towers, because it doesn't have anything to do with the phone and just with the Sprint network towers. I'll post back just in case.

This puzzles me a bit because I had issues when I first did it too... Thats how I came up with this procedure... When I would try it would never send and give me a response so I could retry send... When it finally worked, it has not stopped working, even after flashing other roms...

I know that as of now is just speculation but if this is true... then why did I get errors at first and then no errors now? hmmm... This is interesting... I hope that once you have experienced success it maintains that from then on...

Its also weird being that other phones (O/S's) seem to send the multiple "thread" message just fine... Anyways, I'll also be waiting on this so I can update the first post...

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
MY FINAL RESULTS:

This method is dependent on the towers near you, because of the following*:

Some Mobile Phone Operating Systems are designed to split up texts whens they are sent over the 160 character limit before they are sent to the network (even dumb phones can do this). Windows Phone does not seem to have this capability, it sends your message in its' entirety to the network and hopes that the network can sort it out into split texts. The problem is, not all Sprint towers seem to support this. For that reason, Sprint completely disabled the option to send a text over 160 characters.

When you know this method will work**:

1. Make the registry Edit (Reboots is not really needed, WP dynamically monitors the registry, it seems.)
2. Send yourself a text over the 160 characters. (It should allow you to after the registry edit.)
3. The text will give you an error either instantly or in a few minutes.
4. Reboot, if you want (just to be sure.). Then, resend the same text.
5. It will send without errors and you should receive the content back in more than one text. Done.

When you know this method will NOT work**:

1. Make the registry Edit (Reboots is not really needed, WP dynamically monitors the registry, it seems.)
2. Send yourself a text over the 160 characters. (It should allow you to after the registry edit.)
3. The text will not give you an error. After a LONG time (an hour or so, you will get the error.)
4. During the time between you sending the text and receiving the error, your MMS and SMS will be broken and you most likely will not receive or be able to send texts.
5. Reboot your phone and things should be back to normal. Change the registry back to default value to avoid making an accidental text over 160 characters. Go yell at MS and Sprint.

* Only speculation after my trials
** YMMV

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
MY FINAL RESULTS:

Some Mobile Phone Operating Systems are designed to split up texts whens they are sent over the 160 character limit before they are sent to the network (even dumb phones can do this). Windows Phone does not seem to have this capability, it sends your message in its' entirety to the network and hopes that the network can sort it out into split texts. The problem is, not all Sprint towers seem to support this. For that reason, Sprint completely disabled the option to send a text over 160 characters.

5. It will send without errors and you should receive the content back in more than one text. Done.

3. The text will not give you an error. After a LONG time (an hour or so, you will get the error.)
4. During the time between you sending the text and receiving the error, your MMS and SMS will be broken and you most likely will not receive or be able to send texts.
5. Reboot your phone and things should be back to normal. Change the registry back to default value to avoid making an accidental text over 160 characters. Go yell at MS and Sprint.

** YMMV

Hope you dont mind, im adding this to the first post. Thanks man. that sucks though... again, I had issues at first and then they went away... maybe I was hitting an older tower at first??

Thanks for your help on this.

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
Hope you dont mind, im adding this to the first post. Thanks man. that sucks though... again, I had issues at first and then they went away... maybe I was hitting an older tower at first??

Thanks for your help on this.

Cool. Hopefully we can figure out a work-around for that issue as well.

seems everyone I got has capable towers. No issues anywhere so far.

Just to be clear: The issue is with towers near the person sending the text (You), not towers near people you are texting.

purian23

Jan 11, 2009
Thank you tons! This worked perfectly for me! One error, then rebooted and resent..went through and so far so good!!!!!

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Ofcourse I would be one of the ppl who is screwed.

Im not having any luck either. I get an error message about 30-40 minutes later and ya texts seem spotty with the hack on, yahoo email too.
I'm in metro detroit if that matters, and I have the same results across town:confused:

Just a thought, have you guys changed the "CELLULAR" settings :confused: ?

Go to Settings> cellular> then change the Data roaming options to "ROAM" and the Network type to "AUTOMATIC" then do a reboot.

Then try to send your message again, if it doesnt work, then its ok, you have not lost anything... but if it works :eek: ... Worth a shot no???

Just a thought, we have already derrived that some SPRINT towers (near YOU the user) are partially or completely the problem so... maybe we can have it hit other towers if we have ROAMING enabled...

Post back and let us know... that way, we know if this works OR... we can scratch it off the list... jejeje :cool:

jaygriggs

Sep 19, 2007
Detroit Mi
settings

Those were my settings when I tried the hack. Has anyone tried baking that into a rom? I'm not a cooker but I wonder if that would have any positive effect. The thing that I can't let go with the towers, is that I remember reading a yr ago about a guy who got his Verizon trophy on the sprint network and the texts worked fine. It made me think instantly that it was a phone or rom issue not a sprint or wp7 issue.

leadpoizon

May 31, 2008
Those were my settings when I tried the hack. Has anyone tried baking that into a rom? I'm not a cooker but I wonder if that would have any positive effect. The thing that I can't let go with the towers, is that I remember reading a yr ago about a guy who got his Verizon trophy on the sprint network and the texts worked fine. It made me think instantly that it was a phone or rom issue not a sprint or wp7 issue.

It's not a ROM issue. I had these settings settings cooked in while I tested them. I am quite sure that this is a tower issue, unless I am proven wrong. Check my post for details.

starsoccer9

Jun 8, 2009
No difference

I had them enabled while I did the hack and it doesnt seem to matter. Maybe trying to do that hack while airplane mode is on might affect it somehow?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS METHOD IS DEPENDANT OF THE TOWERS NEAR YOU. PLEASE READ THE END OF THIS POST TO SEE A QUOTE FROM LEADPOIZON ABOUT THIS.​

Alright, after searching time and time again. Trying time and time again... And Failing time and time again... :eek: (jejeje) I was finally successful at sending multiple messages through the HTC Arrive... ;) I feel so stupid for not trying this as one of the first things but hey... You gotta deal with your own stupidity at times :p ... jejeje.
    Anyway, what you guys have been waiting for...​

HOW TO REMOVE THE 160 CHARACTER SMS LIMIT ON WP7
    (I can only try this on the HTC Arrive as I do NOT have any other WP7 device)

I HAVE TESTED THIS ON ANSAR's CUSTOM ROM'S (16.04 TANGO V1 8773) DFT's CUSTOM ROM (Freedom V1) LEADPOIZONS ROMS (ALREADY INCLUDED IN SETTINGS ON BOTH 7.5 AND 7.8 ROMS) SIANTOS ROM (WP7.8 ALL)
    BUT AS OF NOW, ITS DEPENDANT ON THE COMMUNICATION TOWERS NEAR YOU

Use the included REGISTRY EDITOR on EITHER ROM's to edit entree:​

1.) Go to HKLM\Comm\Cellular\SMS\Router\CDMA and change the Contantenation entry from a 0 to a 1

2.)Select the EXIT from the Registry Editor
    3.) Go to your text messages and try to send a 161+ character text message to YOURSELF

DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION, YOU MAY RECEIVE THE MULTIPLE MESSAGE... IF YOU DONT, CONTINUE TO HOPEFULLY TROUBLESHOOT

4.) REBOOT YOUR PHONE!!!
    5.) Once your phone is back up, go back to the text hub and click on RETRY SEND to send the text message.​
    (This message will leave this time with no response from the Messaging App.)
    ***WAIT A MINUTE OR TWO TO RECEIVE THE MESSAGE, IF YOU DONT RECEIVE THEN FOLLOW THE NEXT STEP***

6.) Go back to your text hub and TYPE A NEW 161+ character message and try to send yourself again. This time you should receive 2+ messages after going through the network.​

You can combine this tweak with my unlimited MMS size :eek: tweak and you are good to go!!! You can now have unlimited SMS characters and MMS size... jejeje :D
    (For the MMS post, go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1606865 )

THERE YOU GO... 160+SMS MESSAGE IS POSSIBLE THROUGH WP7... HTC ARRIVE... THANKS GO OUT TO ANSAR AND DFT FOR THE ROMS AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO LEADPOIZON FOR ALL THE HELP.

`-`-`-`-`-`UPDATE REGARDING THE COMM TOWERS, IF YOU HAVE ISSUES, PLEASE READ`-`-`-`-`-`

SINCE THERE HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT SUCCESS STORIES/FAILURES WITH THIS TWEAK WE HAVE BEEN PURSUING A "GLOBAL" FIX... JEJEJE. AFTER MUCH TESTING, LEADPOIZON CAME UP WITH WHAT WE THINK MAY BE FINAL RESULTS...

MY FINAL RESULTS:

** YMMV
    MY FINAL RESULTS:

** YMMV
    Awesome work! Now to release a ROM. :D
    Have you tried...

ok I have a bit of a problem I tried this on my DFT Gold C arrive and it didnt work. When I change the registry value and try to send the message it appears to go through but I never get a text back and I never get an error message and restarting otherwise just breaks text messsaging (and email too appaently).

Texting over 160 characters isnt at all essential to me but it would be nice to have, maybe ill give this another try after some more feedback.

Have you tried just leaving the tweak on? Earlier I had a thought that possibly... POSSIBLY... there is a network setting that gets updated over time, so keep the edit turned on for at least a day or so and see if anything changes... Sorry I cant be of much help... I was able to do it with the steps I posted... But as you can attest, results may vary... jejeje
    maybe Ill try leaving the tweak on overnight, I guess if by the time I wake up I dont either get an error message or my actual message sent back to my phone I will know that it isnt working.

Is that a logical way of thinking about it?

Id leave it for longer but Id rather not be stuck a full day (or longer) without texting (especially considering it seems to have broken email on my phone as well)

If you leave it enabled, it still kills your sms and e-mail? I thought it was only when you turned it back off... Sorry man, I dont know what is causing for some people to get it just with the Reg Edit and others having so much trouble getting to it... Let me know if anything changes on your end...