Streaming Video Stutter - N9005 - 4.4.2

Search This thread

Buckster76

Mar 15, 2014
wondered if anyone else suffered from this - not sure if its an "Android" or Note 3 issue

basically if watching streamed video - in particular Netflix and Youtube - I can't get smooth playback

the phone seems to drop frames (noticeable by either causing judder or a sudden slow down/speed up as it catches up)

this is via 3G or via Wifi - makes no difference

same content on IPAD is silky smooth

I've tried forcing 2D acceleration in dev settings to no avail

it seems like the hardware or OS can't keep up with the video at all times

local content plays back completely smoothly, be it podcasts via Pocketcasts or local video files via MX Player - perfectly smooth - even at 1080p

any ideas please ?

eakkypoo

Jan 3, 2013
wondered if anyone else suffered from this - not sure if its an "Android" or Note 3 issue

basically if watching streamed video - in particular Netflix and Youtube - I can't get smooth playback

the phone seems to drop frames (noticeable by either causing judder or a sudden slow down/speed up as it catches up)

this is via 3G or via Wifi - makes no difference

same content on IPAD is silky smooth

I've tried forcing 2D acceleration in dev settings to no avail

it seems like the hardware or OS can't keep up with the video at all times

local content plays back completely smoothly, be it podcasts via Pocketcasts or local video files via MX Player - perfectly smooth - even at 1080p

any ideas please ?

I would love to say that my n9005 at 4.3 is stuttering as well. I don't know why.

Buckster76

Mar 15, 2014
I would love to say that my n9005 at 4.3 is stuttering as well. I don't know why.

I noticed something interesting this week -although maybe Placebo (pretty sure not though)

I've always had laggy/stuttering Netflix vs smooth on IOS

yet smooth local 1080p content - perfect really

I was trying Sky Go earlier in week and was lovely and smooth in fact I'd noted how smooth the video playback seemed vs Netflix, tonight I noticed stutter on Sky Go was beginning to think if I was running something in background or something - but then figured the difference - tonight was streamed via Wifi, earlier in week was same/similar content but downloaded first

so is there something odd with chipset that it doesn't like Wifi + Video decoding at same time ?

HanZie82

I noticed something interesting this week -although maybe Placebo (pretty sure not though)

I've always had laggy/stuttering Netflix vs smooth on IOS

yet smooth local 1080p content - perfect really

I was trying Sky Go earlier in week and was lovely and smooth in fact I'd noted how smooth the video playback seemed vs Netflix, tonight I noticed stutter on Sky Go was beginning to think if I was running something in background or something - but then figured the difference - tonight was streamed via Wifi, earlier in week was same/similar content but downloaded first

so is there something odd with chipset that it doesn't like Wifi + Video decoding at same time ?

MX Player (and others) might use hardware decoding, Netflix and the sorts might not.
You could go to Dev-settings and check on "Show CPU usage", so you can see whats happening. (But you'ld have to google what it all means as i dont know. ;)
But what i do know is that the procces list shouldnt be too long, like 20 items in my list when idling (for 5 minutes) after usage.