Wireless Tether and Official Gingerbread, does it work?

Search This thread

aeidian

Oct 21, 2010
Try barnacle tether, it's free and on the market (for those getting redirected)

EDIT: Confirmed with my laptop just now. Barnacle works great, does not redirect to any site at all.

I would try CM7, especially if you just got the OTA update. It's been getting rave reviews and is amazing on battery life. Droidforums has all the info.

Seems this to be accurate information. I have SBF'd, taken the OTA, rooted, then flashed CM7 and Barnacle seems to work without a hitch. Thanks for your input.

rusty815

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
its not that barnicle has some sort of work around to allow tethering to work, its that 2nd init roms such as cm and miui dont have the script that allows verizon to see whether your thethering or not, since its basically all vanilla android. there still is no work around for users using the stock rom that doesnt involve hacking the radio.

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
its not that barnicle has some sort of work around to allow tethering to work, its that 2nd init roms such as cm and miui dont have the script that allows verizon to see whether your thethering or not, since its basically all vanilla android. there still is no work around for users using the stock rom that doesnt involve hacking the radio.

Which is why I'm going to help along the process to bring CM to Bionic.

aeidian

Oct 21, 2010
I used Barnacle until I ran into the snag of not getting my PS3 to see the adhoc, so I switched to Wireless Tether for Root Users figuring that if Barnacle works, then Wireless Tether should too. I figured as much about the script. It doesn't matter, CM7 is what I want, I just didn't know it. I had been using Fission and Apex because they were stock roms, but hadn't tried CM since I had my HTC G2 way back a year ago and I didn't like it then. I was surprised to see how smooth it runs, and I'm anxious to see the battery improvements. Thanks again for your help, idefiler6.

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
Ha, you're welcome, but I'm just the messenger. The credit goes to RevNumbers and JBirdVegas for all their hard work bringing CM to the D2 and then to GBD2.

aeidian

Oct 21, 2010
The world needs more messengers. Google searching for wireless tether and GB will now turn up this thread, so maybe people that want what I wanted can get it.

Oct 21, 2011
I got the official Verizon upgrade to Gingerbread and am now running 2.2.3 on Droid 2. I rooted the phone and I tried Open Garden and Barnacle. All that happens is I'm directed to the Verizon Wireless site that says you have to pay twenty dollars a month to use wireless tether. Not sure what options there are for this, I've been looking at various user groups and have not found a fix yet.

vincey2kr1

Sep 3, 2010
Send me a pm with your email. There is beta 7 that works but for some reason it was taken off, probably because it actually works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Tracker557

Jan 22, 2009
Wifi Tether Beta 6 working

Hey all,

Confirming that Wireless Tether Beta 6 works great after rooting the D2 OTA Gingerbread update.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk&can=2&q=

Go to settings and select Droid X device profile and then start tethering.

DO NOT select or change anything on the stock Verizon tether app that starts up when you start thethering with Wifi Thether. Just let it do it's thing in the background. It'll close when you shut down Wifi Tether.

Later!

mandudexda

Dec 15, 2010
This didn't work for me! It sent me to the Verizon "sign up for our overpriced wifi tethering" page

I am running Droid 2, up to date with their OTA updates (gingerbread).....

How do I get wifi tethering using the gingerbread that I have?

Jul 10, 2011
Gate City, VA
www.facebook.com
I used the Wugpacked zip to get mine to work. I downloaded his tether patch, as well as his unpatch in case I ever need to clean up my work.

Unzip the patch and follow his instructions via a readme. Very simple, you'll install it as an update through bootloader unless my memory is failing me. The patch removes the file that is tracking your phone to keep tethering from working. I'm assuming you know you are breaking a ToS to do this, so I'm not advising it, just telling you how.

It installed tether version 3.0 experimental on my phone. Which it may be updated more from now, as I did this months ago. Then the trick is still getting the tether program to work.

Setting my phone profile to Droid2 didn't work. I have mine set as a Droid X(CDMA) and it works brilliantly with the Setup-method on Auto.

It's a long way around the block, but that is exactly what I did to my phone to get tethering. It was a risk I was willing to take.

Reactions: mandudexda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try barnacle tether, it's free and on the market (for those getting redirected)

EDIT: Confirmed with my laptop just now. Barnacle works great, does not redirect to any site at all.

I would try CM7, especially if you just got the OTA update. It's been getting rave reviews and is amazing on battery life. Droidforums has all the info.
    I used the Wugpacked zip to get mine to work. I downloaded his tether patch, as well as his unpatch in case I ever need to clean up my work.

Unzip the patch and follow his instructions via a readme. Very simple, you'll install it as an update through bootloader unless my memory is failing me. The patch removes the file that is tracking your phone to keep tethering from working. I'm assuming you know you are breaking a ToS to do this, so I'm not advising it, just telling you how.

It installed tether version 3.0 experimental on my phone. Which it may be updated more from now, as I did this months ago. Then the trick is still getting the tether program to work.

Setting my phone profile to Droid2 didn't work. I have mine set as a Droid X(CDMA) and it works brilliantly with the Setup-method on Auto.

It's a long way around the block, but that is exactly what I did to my phone to get tethering. It was a risk I was willing to take.