[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

srish2

Nov 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
Worked!

I went through the process of installing JDK and ADT environments, installed Kindle Fire HD 8.9 drivers using instructions posted here:
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html

Device seems to be recognized by Windows 8.

List of devices attached
B0C91004245613A7 device

Allow Installation of Applications: On
Adb: On

Ran the script, got various errors and no root.
Tried video link for tips
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33470626

and noticed that I had missed this step:
Unlock your device, a Terminal will show now, type this 2 lines, after each line press ENTER
/data/local/tmp/onload.sh
/data/local/tmp/onload2.sh

Works now!

Installing Google apps using these tips:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410

------------------
Amend
------------------
Got GO Launcher and Nova Launcher working by using Titanium Backup to convert them to system apps.

Last edited:

mrcpu

Dec 26, 2008
I used option 1 of the script, on my kindle fire 8.9 HD. Worked fine on a 32 bit machine, no amount of my monkeying around could get my x64 win7 to see adb.

The other thing I note is that if you use a screen lock/pin, you have to unlock it after it reboots for it to finish, otherwise, it looks like the script is hanging. But it's really just waiting for input.

I tried ES file explorer, could get up to /, and supersu is in apps.

I think all is well.

nothgd

Oct 23, 2009
adb server out of date. killing.......

adb recognize my kindle fire hd 8.9
Allow unknown: on
adb debug: on

run RunMe.bat in run as administrator.
Choose 2
Choose 1

adb server is out of date. killing...........
*daemon started successfully*

I tried on 2 pc, window 7 and 8, run into a same problem. Please help.

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
adb recognize my kindle fire hd 8.9
Allow unknown: on
adb debug: on

run RunMe.bat in run as administrator.
Choose 2
Choose 1

adb server is out of date. killing...........
*daemon started successfully*

I tried on 2 pc, window 7 and 8, run into a same problem. Please help.

Did you update ADB and the kindle drivers? Make sure it's showing up in Device manager (there is a link for the drivers in this thread)

dwcasey

Jul 14, 2010
NW Arkansas
Worked!

I went through the process of installing JDK and ADT environments, installed Kindle Fire HD 8.9 drivers using instructions posted here:
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/setup.html

Device seems to be recognized by Windows 8.

List of devices attached
B0C91004245613A7 device

Allow Installation of Applications: On
Adb: On

Ran the script, got various errors and no root.
Tried video link for tips
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33470626

and noticed that I had missed this step:
Unlock your device, a Terminal will show now, type this 2 lines, after each line press ENTER
/data/local/tmp/onload.sh
/data/local/tmp/onload2.sh

Works now!

Installing Google apps using these tips:

------------------
Amend
------------------
Got GO Launcher and Nova Launcher working by using Titanium Backup to convert them to system apps.

When I got the terminal window, I typed the first line with onload.sh and got an 'operation not permitted' message.

insanespain

Nov 30, 2011
Has anyone successfully got the google play store installed after achieving root on the 8.9? I was thinking about a nexus10 but this is 100 bucks cheaper and google play is the only thing stoppin me from buying it

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
Has anyone successfully got the google play store installed after achieving root on the 8.9? I was thinking about a nexus10 but this is 100 bucks cheaper and google play is the only thing stoppin me from buying it

Yup, I followed the same guide for the 7. The play store works great, besides some apps stating they are incompatible. You will have to sideload those.

Once you have the play store and a different launcher installed, this thing is awesome. I didn't want a nexus because I love the amazon services but hated not having a better launcher. Rooting my kindle gives me the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

insanespain

Nov 30, 2011
Yup, I followed the same guide for the 7. The play store works great, besides some apps stating they are incompatible. You will have to sideload those.

Once you have the play store and a different launcher installed, this thing is awesome. I didn't want a nexus because I love the amazon services but hated not having a better launcher. Rooting my kindle gives me the best of both worlds.

Good to know. Yeah I have the original fire and it has been awesome with all the development, but before all that I ran it with a stock rom rooted and play store with go launcher. Worked just fine.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

insanespain

Nov 30, 2011

Can't you edit the build.prop to look like a different device so more apps are available?

dwcasey

Jul 14, 2010
NW Arkansas
rooted ok...

At first, I wasn't sure because I got so many errors, so I ran through the rooting process again. Then I tried to enable root in ES File Explorer and up popped the SU binary accessing for permission, so I guess it worked afterall.

But, after installing the apps as described here
http://androidaddition.com/best-way...re-and-other-apps-on-amazon-kindle-fire-hd-7/

Trying to login to my google account, getting an error it can't establish a reliable data connection to the server.

UPDATE: A reboot and I'm back in action. Login through the old Google Market worked, then I installed the updated market and it's working. I saw on another thread some folks having issues with account authentication after doing this procedure, I have not run into any problems. I have successfully downloaded/installed an app from the Amazon market and the Google Play market.

Last edited:

visions710

Aug 25, 2012
I managed to get this to work on windows 8 using the windows NT command prompt instead of the windows 8 command prompt. Just search for CMD and right click on the NT command prompt and select run as administrator from the bottom bar. Worked like a charm, despite the errors.

babblin5

Mar 21, 2011
Mesa, AZ

yep, I have Google Play, Movies, Music and YouTube working flawlessly on the 8.9

The only thing I did differently was to put both the services framework and login apks installed after copying to the system/apps folder.

Last edited:

mrcpu

Dec 26, 2008
Weird... I had root, installed go launcher HD after moving it to /system/apps, did some more stuff, rebooted, did some more stuff, yada yada, and then today, went to install google play, and had lost root. And Go launcher is gone too...

I am not sure how it happened. It re-rooted fine, was able to get google play and gmail and tabletsms working, but it was a bit of a head scratcher.

dreamer609

Sep 17, 2012
Portland, OR
Problems downloading Bin4ry?

I read this post on how to root the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and got myself so far through the installation of the Android drivers, but I am having a major problem in downloading the application to the do actual rooting... When I click on the link provided I am sent to a page that gives me a free and premium downloading option. If I click the free download it has me type in two words, but no matter if I get the words right or ask for the audio version, it will tell me my credits are used up and I must now register.. I have never used that service or site before. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have an alternate download location? Thank you very much in advance.

ZilverZurfarn

Feb 11, 2009
Göteborg
I read this post on how to root the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and got myself so far through the installation of the Android drivers, but I am having a major problem in downloading the application to the do actual rooting... When I click on the link provided I am sent to a page that gives me a free and premium downloading option. If I click the free download it has me type in two words, but no matter if I get the words right or ask for the audio version, it will tell me my credits are used up and I must now register.. I have never used that service or site before. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have an alternate download location? Thank you very much in advance.
I've mirrored it here: http://goo.gl/D39mV @OP: Hope this is OK with you - If not, mess me, and I'll remove it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.
    Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards