[Q] Galaxy S4 SGH-1337 will not boot into recovery mode...

Search This thread

babrandon

Aug 15, 2013
First off, I updated my GS4 OTA to I337UCUAMF3, which I wish I hadn't done. I lost root from it from it because I didn't do my research before accepting the update. I then searched for a way around the update and was able to re-root my phone. When I went to flash CM10 to my phone, it booted into download mode (Odin Mode) with a message in the upper left corner that reads:

Could not do normal boot.
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I337
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable

I found a fix for this that allows me to reboot my phone into working order. However, I am no longer able to boot into Recovery Mode, nor am I able to factory wipe my phone. Any time I attempt either of these things, it goes back into the "Could not do normal boot." Odin mode. I tried going back to stock, but it fails every time. I'm sort of new to all of this, obviously, but any help would be appreciated. Everything I have tried has been based on things I've read on XDA, but I guess just because someone posts something doesn't mean you should try it. Lesson learned.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
SGH-I337
Baseband: I337UCUAMF3
Android 4.2.2
Build number: JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
Kernel version: 3.4.0-812098
se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I can try my best to provide any further information that may assist you in assisting me! Just ask. Thanks in advance.

dankify

Aug 13, 2013
San Angelo
Google Pixel 7 Pro
First off, I updated my GS4 OTA to I337UCUAMF3, which I wish I hadn't done. I lost root from it from it because I didn't do my research before accepting the update. I then searched for a way around the update and was able to re-root my phone. When I went to flash CM10 to my phone, it booted into download mode (Odin Mode) with a message in the upper left corner that reads:

ODIN MODE

I found a fix for this that allows me to reboot my phone into working order. However, I am no longer able to boot into Recovery Mode, nor am I able to factory wipe my phone. Any time I attempt either of these things, it goes back into the "Could not do normal boot." Odin mode. I tried going back to stock, but it fails every time. I'm sort of new to all of this, obviously, but any help would be appreciated. Everything I have tried has been based on things I've read on XDA, but I guess just because someone posts something doesn't mean you should try it. Lesson learned.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
SGH-I337
Android 4.2.2
se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I can try my best to provide any further information that may assist you in assisting me! Just ask. Thanks in advance.

having the same exact issues. Ive been trying the past 4 hours on getting it to work.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I think you're both hosed. You can try jtag. Check out mobiletechvideos.com. but call them first and explain what you did. Jtag may not even work.

bhp090808

Jan 23, 2012
Sebring
Mf3 update has new bootloader. No custom recovery options as of now. You can have root but no recovery no flashing.:(

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
You lost root because, as you said, you didn't do any research before accepting the OTA update. Now you're about to bork your device trying to flash onto it without, yet again, doing any research. I don't mean to be a hardass but I don't want to see anyone with a brick on this forum. You would be better off with an unrooted stock s4 and just keep your eyes and ears on xda for root/recovery updates for MF3.

Cheers

l33t_killa

Aug 20, 2013

ODIN MODE

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
SGH-I337
Android 4.2.2
se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I get the same thing as well. You said "I found a fix for this that allows me to reboot my phone into working order". Could you explain how you got this to reboot back to normal? That's all I want at this time too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCesarLopez

mdanish4

Apr 9, 2009
Miami, Florida USA
I get the same thing as well. You said "I found a fix for this that allows me to reboot my phone into working order". Could you explain how you got this to reboot back to normal? That's all I want at this time too.

you just have to go to ur phone download mode by holding volume down and home button and when u get to download mode just simply click on cancel(restart) it will boot ur phone..

l33t_killa

Aug 20, 2013
you just have to go to ur phone download mode by holding volume down and home button and when u get to download mode just simply click on cancel(restart) it will boot ur phone..

Currently, it's sitting on the ATT sphere, white background, with the blue LED light on, got the opening chimes on the reboot as well. Been a couple of minutes now sitting there...

UPDATE
Was able to power it off as it was getting hot, got it plugged into laptop, charging animation is on, with the red LED light on as well. Cooling back down. What do you think now?

UPDATE 2
Did a reboot after charging for a bit, still hanging on the ATT sphere, white background, with the blue LED light on

Last edited:

mdbsat

Aug 19, 2013

I am/Was in the EXACT same boat as the OP. I did what was posted above and I was good to go, meaning I can use my phone etc. I have had the phone for 5 days after using an iPhone for 5 years so I am still learning and almost learned the hard way. I will just wait until I can flash ROMs etc.

Thanks for making this thread OP.

ashkan101

Aug 8, 2010

ODIN MODE

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
SGH-I337
Android 4.2.2
se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I'm having the exact same problem. I had read on the forums that people with root were able to install the OTA update no problem. But after I'd installed it this problem came up and there were no solutions in sight :(

jeffreii

Nov 3, 2005
Miami, FL
I'm having the exact same problem. I had read on the forums that people with root were able to install the OTA update no problem. But after I'd installed it this problem came up and there were no solutions in sight :(

The solution is in post 7 of this thread...though that will get you able to boot, you will not have a stock (or any) recovery...as trying to install a custom recovery when it's not actually possible is a bad thing!

sincity

Dec 8, 2007
Have you tried what was explained in post 7. Boot into download mode and when it gives you the option to continue or cancel, cancel. Others have reported this working.

Yes I did. Actually my situation is a little different. But was hoping to grab info from here too.

What happened: Installed Chainfire3D by accident. Reboot and from that point it got stuck in boot.

Rooted AT&T I337 MF3

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Yes I did. Actually my situation is a little different. But was hoping to grab info from here too.

What happened: Installed Chainfire3D by accident. Reboot and from that point it got stuck in boot.

Rooted AT&T I337 MF3

Oh, didn't see it was for froyo and Gb only. What firmware do you have?

sincity

Dec 8, 2007
All of these are 4.2.2, mdb, mdl, mf3. If you have the first two there's hope. If you have the last one, which I'm guessing you do, its no going to be so easy.

MF3 - and I'm learning that I might just have to be patient until someone releases a stock/bootloader MF3. Sucks to have this issue.

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
MF3 - and I'm learning that I might just have to be patient until someone releases a stock/bootloader MF3. Sucks to have this issue.

Or perhaps the creeps in charge at AT&T will unlock the bootloader, that would get everyone up and running again. I've done my part to send them messages to that effect...(perhaps I should have not called them creeps, but I can't come up with a nastier term that is able to be printed politely.)

FilyPhanatic

Jan 9, 2013
Stuck in download mode SGH-I337 AT&T!! KIES and Odin both fail

Is there a fix yet? I just got my device, successfully had it rooted and then tried installing a custom recovery using goo. It was stupid without research, but it happened.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ODIN MODE

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    SGH-I337
    Android 4.2.2
    se.infra@SEP-103 #1

Currently, it's sitting on the ATT sphere, white background, with the blue LED light on, got the opening chimes on the reboot as well. Been a couple of minutes now sitting there...

UPDATE
    Was able to power it off as it was getting hot, got it plugged into laptop, charging animation is on, with the red LED light on as well. Cooling back down. What do you think now?

UPDATE 2
    Did a reboot after charging for a bit, still hanging on the ATT sphere, white background, with the blue LED light on

I am/Was in the EXACT same boat as the OP. I did what was posted above and I was good to go, meaning I can use my phone etc. I have had the phone for 5 days after using an iPhone for 5 years so I am still learning and almost learned the hard way. I will just wait until I can flash ROMs etc.

Thanks for making this thread OP.
    Is there a fix yet? I just got my device, successfully had it rooted and then tried installing a custom recovery using goo. It was stupid without research, but it happened.

Read this...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2360859