[UPDATE: 4/2/12] PRL Information Thread

Search This thread

juryrigger

Nov 4, 2010
Is there a consensus as to the best overall PRL here? I take it that it is between:

Sprint corporate
Sprint corporate with network vision
Modified Verizon

On its face, the Verizon one seems the obvious choice, as Verizon's network is known for being the best. Will Sprint boot you for using the Verizon one since you would always be Verizon's network?

Also, anyone know how to enable dialer codes for an Epic 4G running CM10.1? If not, is there some kinda of work around to manually updating the PRL on phones with Cyanogemod?

Last edited:

Takenover83

Nov 6, 2009
Is there a consensus as to the best overall PRL here? I take it that it is between:

Sprint corporate
Sprint corporate with network vision
Modified Verizon

On its face, the Verizon one seems the obvious choice, as Verizon's network is known for being the best. Will Sprint boot you for using the Verizon one since you would always be Verizon's network?

Also, anyone know how to enable dialer codes for an Epic 4G running CM10.1? If not, is there some kinda of work around to manually updating the PRL on phones with Cyanogemod?
They could if you go over 300MB of data roaming. I think it largely depends on your customer history with Sprint.

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Anyone having any luck using Qpst in Jellybean? It just hangs and stops responding to memory requests in service programming.

tensux

Nov 18, 2011
boston
Anyone having any luck using Qpst in Jellybean? It just hangs and stops responding to memory requests in service programming.

I have no problem using it on jelly bean. however out of no where I have found that the Verizon prls are no longer gkving me 3g on jb. Ics or gb in the Boston area lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

evobb10

Jun 11, 2011
Any one has a latest Samsung USB drivers download link. I couldn't find any to re ognize my phone
Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

azr6

Nov 15, 2009
Does this not work on CM 10.1? I get to where QPST finds the com port but it says no phone connected. I can't get past that. I am using the #*#* and put the phone in MODEM mode and have kies installed so not sure what is going on. Any idea why it won't recognize the phone when it's clearly connected?

driftinganomaly

Jan 26, 2011
Northern California
Does this not work on CM 10.1? I get to where QPST finds the com port but it says no phone connected. I can't get past that. I am using the #*#* and put the phone in MODEM mode and have kies installed so not sure what is going on. Any idea why it won't recognize the phone when it's clearly connected?
I don't think that any non touchwhiz r oms will work. I know that some older versions of CM had a temp boot to el29 available tobe able to update prl and profile, but I amnot sure if it would work for this. You may have to flash back to a stick bad rom, change this, then reflash cm10.1. Good luck.

eigokyoukan

Feb 2, 2010
Cincinnati
I don't think that any non touchwhiz r oms will work. I know that some older versions of CM had a temp boot to el29 available tobe able to update prl and profile, but I amnot sure if it would work for this. You may have to flash back to a stick bad rom, change this, then reflash cm10.1. Good luck.

Indeed you can temp boot for doing this. I normally run some sort of AOKP variant, and I used this temp stock boot a week ago to change my PRL :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1862119

Reactions: driftinganomaly

CamCroz99

Sep 23, 2013
When I enter in the code via the dial menu nothing happens. I am on stock rooted for Virgin Mobile.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before I go into the full details of the project, let's go over what a PRL is, what it does, and why it matters to you.

What Really is a PRL?

"The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cellphone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of R-UIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the R-UIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage."

Source: Wikipedia

TLDR: The PRL tells a device what towers to connect to, which frequency to search on, and in what order to connect to them. This includes "on" and "off" network towers. PRLs do not effect 4G WiMax performance.

Why Should I Care?

The PRL directly effects the coverage you receive and the data speed performance of your device. Ensuring you have the latest PRL is critical to maintaining the best signal your device will get. However, there are a few "special" PRLs we can use in order to gain access to hidden features, such as 3G data roaming.

So What is This About?

I'm glad you asked. I've been working on this for a few months now and I'm now ready to go public in order to gain more statistical data from my fellow peers. I have a collection of PRLs that I have rigorously tested to see which ones give me the best performance. This isn't enough. I need real world testing for as many members as I can get.

While I can't give the full details of my project away yet, let me assure you it will benefit everyone on Sprint. Phase 1 of my project has already started and here is how you can contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArqBGjrbNosddGR3OURoNnJLdTlTaEo1RmVEYjdVNlE

The above document is open to everyone and can be edited by everyone. This spreadsheet will be used to compile data from everyone's usage of the PRLs available to us. Check the bottom of the file for sheet of each individual PRL. Each one has it's own sheet. Just add your data for which ever PRL you are testing.

The tool accepted for measuring data speed is Speedtest.net. They are the industries leader in speed testing, and it is a very reliable application.

If the PRL you are testing isn't there, I have included a template sheet so you can make your own sheet. Please stick to the format and be honest. This project is for everyone to benefit from, so don't ruin it for anyone. Also be sure you are adding your raw data to the correct PRL sheet. Little mistake like that can skew the data. Please test "Home" and "Roam" equally, I am trying to obtain the best performing PRL overall. I want to repeat that 4G WiMax is not effected by PRL, so do not include 4G in your testing.

Be impartial, be true, be consistent, and most of all be precise. If you notice something is wrong, fix it. You can chat inside the document. Just check the top right hand side for the people viewing the document. I will check this document often and update it regularly.

I have included the primary PRLs for testing in the 2nd post, and instructions how to manually update your PRL from a PC in the 3rd post. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

[UPDATE: 3/4/12]
    - Closed private testing
    - Added ##3432# to 3rd post

[UPDATE: 3/6/12]
    - Revised 3rd Post
    - Added Nexus S 4G support
    - Added Disclaimer to 2nd Post about Network Vision PRLs

[UPDATE: 4/2/12]
    - Phase 1 of private testing is through. Haven't posted results yet
    - Added new updated version of PRLs in 2nd post
    - Updated guides in 3rd post
    PRL Information

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL
    - 11115 (Outdated)
    - 11117 (Outdated)

Mobile Broadband Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 12117 (Outdated)

Corporate Sprint PRL

Corporate Sprint PRL for Network Vision*

Sprint PRL for Network Vision*
    - 21083 (Outdated)
    - 21085 (Outdated)

Sprint PRL
    - 60683 (Outdated)
    - 60685 (Outdated)

Modified Verizon PRL
    - 00001 (Outdated)

* If your device is not a "Network Vision Ready" device, these PRLs will not change that fact. It does not hurt to test these as they might improve the performance of your device.
    How to Update PRL Manually:

You must have your respected device's drivers installed prior to starting.

1. Download and Install QPST 2.7 - Build 366
    2. Open QPST Configuration in the "QPST" folder under Programs
    3. Disable debugging on your device
    4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
      • Epic 4G Touch: ##8778#
      • HTC EVO 3D: ##3424#
      • Nexus S 4G: *#*#8778#*#*
    5. Plug in your device
    6. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
    7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
    8. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service Programming
    9. Select your device
    10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000"
    11. Click the "Roam" tab
    12. Click "Browse" and select the PRL you wish to use
    13. Click "Write to Phone"
    14. Phone should reboot with the PRL you specified

How to Pull PRL From Device:

You must have your respected device's drivers installed prior to starting.

1. Download and Install QPST 2.7 - Build 366
    2. Open QPST Configuration in the "QPST" folder under Programs
    3. Disable debugging on your device
    4. Type one of the following codes in you respected device's dialer and switch to "CP" or "Modem"
      • Epic 4G Touch: ##8778#
      • HTC EVO 3D: ##3424#
      • Nexus S 4G: *#*#8778#*#*
    5. Plug in your device
    6. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
    7. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok. If you don’t see a port, uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
    8. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service Programming
    9. Select your device
    10. Click "Read from Phone" and enter "000000" or your MSL
    11. Click "Save to File" and save the file
    12. Open RL Editor in the QPST folder
    13. Go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the location where you saved the file
    14. Open the .r0l file
    15. Go to "File" then "Save As" and save the file as a .prl file type.

If either are unclear in any way, please let me know.
    Okay to be honest, the reason why I haven't updated this thread and continued the project is due to internal training and information I have received about Sprint. In the next 6 months to a year, Sprint will be producing more PRL's than it has ever made total due to the constant changes to the towers by Network Vision.

It is very very important that everyone stay on the latest PRL as much as possible to ensure they do not miss out on the updated coverage. These corporate PRLs are great and all, but if we can't keep up with them, it is better to stick with the latest "stock" PRL than the CL PRLs. There are so many changes coming to Sprint and their network it is unbelievable. So much so that it is extremely hard for me to go over every single one of them in just one post.

One thing I have seen that PRL will affect the most is coverage. I have seen an internal coverage map from Sprint for their on-network 3G and 4G data/voice network and it is beautiful. The coverage map has a larger footprint than Verizon currently has. Along with the increased coverage, Sprint is also upgrading the capacities on all of their towers to handle the excessive strain on the towers. This is going to increase data speeds for everyone. As well the additional 800MHz spectrum will bring even better data speeds to those of you who can handle the 800MHz frequency.

In absolute honesty, if you have been with Sprint for this long and put up with them, you might as well put up with them for 1 more year, because it is getting nothing but better. Even here in my home town, Lake City, Florida, where Nextel dominates. They are already starting work on the towers to equip them with the new Network Vision equipment and evaluating which Nextel towers to keep. I'll fill everyone in more as I get more information, but as it stands right now Sprint is the worst it'll ever be. It is only going to get much better from here. By the end of this year, we are on pace to surpass AT&T in LTE coverage and cities supported.
    11121 PRL pulled from my Epic 4g touch....