[Q] tethering question

Search This thread

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
I have unlimited data, and I also pay the extra 30.00 for the hotspot feature. For some reason when I try to tether via USB (so my phone can also be charging, and since it's generally more reliable) I seem to get the connection dropped within 60-90 seconds after I'm using it.

If I use the mobile hotspot app and just tether via wifi, the conniption works flawlessly. I was wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere, or if the built in USB tethering is just plain crapola. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

David 617

May 12, 2011
I have unlimited data, and I also pay the extra 30.00 for the hotspot feature. For some reason when I try to tether via USB (so my phone can also be charging, and since it's generally more reliable) I seem to get the connection dropped within 60-90 seconds after I'm using it.

If I use the mobile hotspot app and just tether via wifi, the conniption works flawlessly. I was wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere, or if the built in USB tethering is just plain crapola. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Never heard of such a thing... Perhaps the location where you leave your phone while its plugged in has poor reception.
Try leaving the phone in that spot without tethering and stream a long YouTube video or something like that...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Justintoxicated

Nov 19, 2010

Can't help, but have you tried the clockworkmod USB tethering app?

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
I just ended up installing FoxFi and it works just fine for USB tethering. No clue why the built in feature (for USB tethering) would crap out. Connecting wirelessly worked great with the stock hotspot app, but USB just didn't. I'm in a very strong signal area so it had nothing to do with that.