[App] [Alpha] QuickCamera | Moto X-like camera launch gesture

Search This thread

ssrij

Sep 7, 2013
London
What is QuickCamera?

QuickCamera is a free and open source application that lets you quickly launch the camera app (normally or from the lock screen) with a simple gesture that involves twisting your wrist twice, quickly. It's the same gesture that's used to launch the camera app on the Moto X. Pull out your phone, perform the gesture and the camera app will be ready to take wonderful photos. No need to wake the phone or press any buttons.

Why did I make this?

I am a big fan of Moto X's gesture controls and I really liked the gesture to launch the camera from anywhere, by twisting your wrist quickly 2 times. It's really handy, but unfortunately not available to other devices, so I decided to replicate the feature and bring it to all Android devices. It involved weeks of experimentation, but I finally have a working alpha version ready.

Screenshots

T8Gxm3Ql.jpg
pPtoG76l.jpg
LsTI8yyl.png

Demo

UnripeVerifiableBass.gif

Upcoming features

• Better implementation of lockscreen bypass Done
  • Even better accuracy by using gyroscope Done
  • Auto-detection of default camera app Done
  • Lower battery consumption
  • Support for Gingerbread
  • Improved lockscreen detection and compatibility

Download (ALPHA 10)

The app is currently in ALPHA stage and not ready for production. You can use the link below to sign up for alpha testing and download the app to your device.

1. Join the Google+ community first: https://plus.google.com/communities/102812968500461027770
  2. Download the app from Play Store: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ssrij.quickcamera

Source

Source code: https://github.com/theblixguy/QuickCamera

Support

• If you want to report feedback or request new features: Shoot me an email, post below or in Google+ community
  • If you want to report bugs, crashes or other issues: Shoot me an email, post below or in Google+ community WITH logcat output. No logcat = I can't identify issue

Last edited:

ssrij

Sep 7, 2013
London
Changelog:

Alpha 10 - May 2nd 2014

• Night mode: Automatically disable gesture recognition when you go to sleep and automatically enable it when you wake up. To set the wake-up and sleep time, enable Night Mode in Settings and set the wake-up and sleep timings. This saves battery life substantially.
    Inbuilt QuickCapture camera app: Not available for testing right now but will be soon
    Optimizations to code and some bug fixes
    Improvements to Gesture Calibration: Added a help button

Alpha 9 - April 30th 2014

• Option to enable/disable gesture recognition only when the screen is off
  • Ability to save calibration settings without trying them
  • Fixed bugs in Settings

Alpha 8 - April 30th 2014

• Improvements to accuracy and sensitivity; completely switched to rotation vector now
  • Gesture Calibration option added: You can now adjust the sensitivity/accuracy values and try them out to see which combination works the best for you. Once you're satisfied, you can save the values and the service will start using them
  • Added an option to let you control whether the service should automatically start after rebooting or not

Older alpha version changelogs

Alpha 7 - April 30th 2014

• Switched to rotation vector by default, accuracy and sensitivity highly improved and chances of accidental launches significantly reduced
  • Added an option to change vibration intensity in Settings
  • Bugfix: Camera launch due to vibration on notifications like messages, etc

Alpha 6 - April 29th 2014

• Improved sensitivity: Gesture will now activate ONLY if you twist your wrist 2 times within 2 seconds, else the gesture will not be recognized. It should fix most of the accidental launch issues everyone was having!
  • Slightly improved battery usage
  • Gesture detection now pauses when when a call comes and resumes when the call ends

Alpha 5 - April 28th 2014

• Lockscreen and screen off support (Requires Google Camera on some devices)
  • Bugfix: Performing gesture on lockscreen disables security

Alpha 4 - April 28th 2014

• Reduced battery consumption when the phone is in your pocket (Make sure you enable proximity sensor in Settings)
  • Improved accuracy/sensitivity
  • Bugfix: Camera launched in pocket even when proximity sensor was turned on in Settings
  • Bugfix: Pressing the back button did not put the application in background
  • Bugfix: If camera app was already in background and gesture was performed, the camera app will open but throw an error.
  • Prevent accidental camera launch while the user is in a call

Alpha 3 - April 27th 2014

• Vibration on camera launch
  • Service auto-starts on device startup
  • Tutorial when you launch the app for the first time
  • Settings menu now exposed (No need to press volume down button 3 times!)

Alpha 2 - April 27th 2014

• Added support for linear accelerometer sensor
  • Slightly improved accuracy
  • Some bug fixes

Alpha 1 - April 26th 2014

• Initial release

Last edited:

ssrij

Sep 7, 2013
London
Alpha 2 has been pushed, will go live in few hours and you will receive an update via Play Store. I have attached the APK in OP also. Oh, and I forgot to mention: You can access the debugging settings by pressing volume down button 3 times in the app.

rharshit

Jul 17, 2012
Mumbai
Awesome, it is! :good: :good: :good:
Well, you have given the source, but I,m still asking, can i implement it in my ROM as an inbuilt feature?

Reactions: Sreerag Sanil

kaliakman

Apr 27, 2012
Wow... Great stuff.. I mean.. Really great!!! Neo V running 4.4 works flawlessly.. Only one thing. I cant seem to find any settings. I'd like to change the time between the twists because IMO its too long.. (Even after 5-6 seconds it would activate.)

Last edited:

ssrij

Sep 7, 2013
London
Wow... Great stuff.. I mean.. Really great!!! Neo V running 4.4 works flawlessly.. Only one thing. I cant seem to find any settings. I'd like to change the time between the twists because IMO its too long.. (Even after 5-6 seconds it would activate.)

Open the app, press volume down button 3 times, the debug settings will open. You cannot change the time between twists, but you can tweak one value which affects the twists in a certain way (X-axis threshold).

Reactions: kaliakman

lcallahan7

Nov 26, 2012
Is it possible to add the vibration that the Moto X does when the camera opens?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

typedink

Sep 26, 2009
Phoenix
Works on the note 3 but it seems to have trouble bypassing the lock screen and seems too sensitive. I assume changing the axis threshold would help with that?

tube517

Jun 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Thank you for this app.

I could not get it to work on my rooted Note 2 running Kitkat 4.4.2 (IOAP ROM) w/AGNI kernel

I tried to change axis threshold values between 0 to 10 and none worked.

Also, how do you exit the app after turning it on ? I have to use the home button to get out.

ssrij

Sep 7, 2013
London
Thank you for this app.

I could not get it to work on my rooted Note 2 running Kitkat 4.4.2 (IOAP ROM) w/AGNI kernel

Also, how do you exit the app after turning it on ? I have to use the home button to get out.

Please send logcat, without it I cannot identify what went wrong on your device. Also, are you performing the gesture properly?
You can close it from multitasking menu.

ravijani

Jan 19, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Moto G
Thank you for this app.

linear accelerometer and value 3 worked for me.
on 4.4.2 stock btw.

steps :
open app.
go to debug menu via volume down button pressing 3 times.
select linear and make value you like. i did 3.
go back to main screen.
activate.
press home button.
lock screen and do gesture like shown in 1st page.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is QuickCamera?

QuickCamera is a free and open source application that lets you quickly launch the camera app (normally or from the lock screen) with a simple gesture that involves twisting your wrist twice, quickly. It's the same gesture that's used to launch the camera app on the Moto X. Pull out your phone, perform the gesture and the camera app will be ready to take wonderful photos. No need to wake the phone or press any buttons.

Why did I make this?

I am a big fan of Moto X's gesture controls and I really liked the gesture to launch the camera from anywhere, by twisting your wrist quickly 2 times. It's really handy, but unfortunately not available to other devices, so I decided to replicate the feature and bring it to all Android devices. It involved weeks of experimentation, but I finally have a working alpha version ready.

Screenshots

T8Gxm3Ql.jpg
    pPtoG76l.jpg
    LsTI8yyl.png

Demo

UnripeVerifiableBass.gif

Upcoming features

• Better implementation of lockscreen bypass Done
    • Even better accuracy by using gyroscope Done
    • Auto-detection of default camera app Done
    • Lower battery consumption
    • Support for Gingerbread
    • Improved lockscreen detection and compatibility

Download (ALPHA 10)

The app is currently in ALPHA stage and not ready for production. You can use the link below to sign up for alpha testing and download the app to your device.

1. Join the Google+ community first: https://plus.google.com/communities/102812968500461027770
    2. Download the app from Play Store: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ssrij.quickcamera

Source

Source code: https://github.com/theblixguy/QuickCamera

Support

• If you want to report feedback or request new features: Shoot me an email, post below or in Google+ community
    • If you want to report bugs, crashes or other issues: Shoot me an email, post below or in Google+ community WITH logcat output. No logcat = I can't identify issue
    Changelog:

Alpha 10 - May 2nd 2014

• Night mode: Automatically disable gesture recognition when you go to sleep and automatically enable it when you wake up. To set the wake-up and sleep time, enable Night Mode in Settings and set the wake-up and sleep timings. This saves battery life substantially.
      Inbuilt QuickCapture camera app: Not available for testing right now but will be soon
      Optimizations to code and some bug fixes
      Improvements to Gesture Calibration: Added a help button

Alpha 9 - April 30th 2014

• Option to enable/disable gesture recognition only when the screen is off
    • Ability to save calibration settings without trying them
    • Fixed bugs in Settings

Alpha 8 - April 30th 2014

• Improvements to accuracy and sensitivity; completely switched to rotation vector now
    • Gesture Calibration option added: You can now adjust the sensitivity/accuracy values and try them out to see which combination works the best for you. Once you're satisfied, you can save the values and the service will start using them
    • Added an option to let you control whether the service should automatically start after rebooting or not

Older alpha version changelogs

Alpha 7 - April 30th 2014

• Switched to rotation vector by default, accuracy and sensitivity highly improved and chances of accidental launches significantly reduced
    • Added an option to change vibration intensity in Settings
    • Bugfix: Camera launch due to vibration on notifications like messages, etc

Alpha 6 - April 29th 2014

• Improved sensitivity: Gesture will now activate ONLY if you twist your wrist 2 times within 2 seconds, else the gesture will not be recognized. It should fix most of the accidental launch issues everyone was having!
    • Slightly improved battery usage
    • Gesture detection now pauses when when a call comes and resumes when the call ends

Alpha 5 - April 28th 2014

• Lockscreen and screen off support (Requires Google Camera on some devices)
    • Bugfix: Performing gesture on lockscreen disables security

Alpha 4 - April 28th 2014

• Reduced battery consumption when the phone is in your pocket (Make sure you enable proximity sensor in Settings)
    • Improved accuracy/sensitivity
    • Bugfix: Camera launched in pocket even when proximity sensor was turned on in Settings
    • Bugfix: Pressing the back button did not put the application in background
    • Bugfix: If camera app was already in background and gesture was performed, the camera app will open but throw an error.
    • Prevent accidental camera launch while the user is in a call

Alpha 3 - April 27th 2014

• Vibration on camera launch
    • Service auto-starts on device startup
    • Tutorial when you launch the app for the first time
    • Settings menu now exposed (No need to press volume down button 3 times!)

Alpha 2 - April 27th 2014

• Added support for linear accelerometer sensor
    • Slightly improved accuracy
    • Some bug fixes

Alpha 1 - April 26th 2014

• Initial release
    Hey folks, just wanted to make a small announcement. The feedback I am getting on this app is phenomenal and I've been working hard every single day to fix the bugs and improve the app even more. It's almost been a week since I launched this app and so far I have added many new features and improved the accuracy tremendously. This app is now ready to enter BETA testing stage & I will be releasing the first BETA build in a few days. Current ALPHA testers will automatically start receiving beta builds, so you don't have to worry about anything.

What can you expect from the beta builds? Since the accuracy of the gesture recognition has been significantly improved, beta builds will focus on new features (like an inbuilt QuickCapture camera app) and battery saving. Yes, I will still be improving accuracy even more and fixing bugs, but the main focus will be on the above two things. If there's anything you'd like to see (like a new feature) in the beta builds, then you can comment below.

Also, the first beta build will bring back something that a lot of people have been asking for ;)
    Awesome, it is! :good: :good: :good:
    Well, you have given the source, but I,m still asking, can i implement it in my ROM as an inbuilt feature?

You can do anything you like, as long as you follow the license (GPL v2)
    Publishing Alpha 10 to the Play Store, it will be live in a couple of hours!
    Changelog on first page