[How-To] Install any 2.x ROM in a CID-Locked G3 or G4 Wizard

Search This thread

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
i have tried doing this 2x on my G4 O2 XDA mini (UK) the first time it got to 2% and froze the second time it got to 50% and then the update programme disappeared and the PC said there was a falut with my USB device (i.e.my phone)

Fortunately using the latest O2 rom i have been able to re install back to the original.

I followed the instructions perfectly i think, i used the MR Clean 224a rom

my only posssible probs i feel were
1. The language : WWE
2.OEM : 2.24a
3.Operator Version :2.24a
4.Model ID : Wizard

All the files were exactly as stated in the guidance and the names were correct also for the Image and the Start address.

Are my Settings correct?

any help appreciated

minirx7

Jun 18, 2006
spacecat said:
i have tried doing this 2x on my G4 O2 XDA mini (UK) the first time it got to 2% and froze the second time it got to 50% and then the update programme disappeared and the PC said there was a falut with my USB device (i.e.my phone)

Fortunately using the latest O2 rom i have been able to re install back to the original.

I followed the instructions perfectly i think, i used the MR Clean 224a rom

my only posssible probs i feel were
1. The language : WWE
2.OEM : 2.24a
3.Operator Version :2.24a
4.Model ID : Wizard

All the files were exactly as stated in the guidance and the names were correct also for the Image and the Start address.

Are my Settings correct?

any help appreciated

I think you are not entering in the information correctly.

the OEM and OPERATOR VERSION is not 2.24a. It is 2.24.10.1.

Model ID: WIZARD in caps!!

Finally make sure that the memory address strings are correct. It tends to DEFAULT by mistake which can corrupt the ROM install.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
minirx7 said:
I think you are not entering in the information correctly.

the OEM and OPERATOR VERSION is not 2.24a. It is 2.24.10.1.

Model ID: WIZARD in caps!!

Finally make sure that the memory address strings are correct. It tends to DEFAULT by mistake which can corrupt the ROM install.

I agree. I think you cannot use alphabetic characters in OEM and operator version. So use 2.24, or 2.24.10.1 and NOT 2.24a.

Also, as minirx7 said, always check the OS address: it should be 80040000 but it defaults to 82040000. Beware: every time you press TAB to move to the next input field, the value is reset to the default!

Finally, start with a simple rom (nk.nbf). Put only OS and extrom parts in rom and then flash it. A error should be less likely.

Keep us informed.

Bye

slimsaturn

Apr 18, 2006
So this will allow a person with a G4 chip to upgrade the ROM and get the custimizations? I only ask cause I got an 8125 loaded with the newest cing rom from them and believe I have the G4 chip because when I loaded sumiters lastest cooked rom the custmizations woudl start but would stop part way and the phone would restart. The rom is fine..but missing all of summiters goodies.

minirx7

Jun 18, 2006
slimsaturn said:
So this will allow a person with a G4 chip to upgrade the ROM and get the custimizations? I only ask cause I got an 8125 loaded with the newest cing rom from them and believe I have the G4 chip because when I loaded sumiters lastest cooked rom the custmizations woudl start but would stop part way and the phone would restart. The rom is fine..but missing all of summiters goodies.

When you reboot on the first screen, does it say *.0001 anywhere under IPL/SPL?

If so, then yes you have a G4 flash chip.

And yes, i am running Mr Clean 2.24a ROM on my G4 flash chip thanks to this tutorial!!

slimsaturn

Apr 18, 2006
is this the only way to tell. I cont think I have it there but I thiught you could tell by the sticker inside the unit and because it came with cings new rom

minirx7

Jun 18, 2006
slimsaturn said:
is this the only way to tell. I cont think I have it there but I thiught you could tell by the sticker inside the unit and because it came with cings new rom

When you reboot the first screen before it says WINDOWS MOBILE should show you teh IPL and SPL.

WHat ist he factory rom tha tyou have?

My O2 Mini S came with 2.21.xxxx.

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
slimsaturn said:
no .0001 after ipl or spl

So you have not a G4.

And you should thank the Gods of all the religions of the Earth for not having it: if you had had a G4 then your installing Summitter's rom would have irremediably bricked you phone!!!

This time you were lucky, but in the future be more careful and read more before upgrading your device or you'll end up with an expensive, not-so-elegant piece of furniture.

As for your problem with the customizations, i think the extrom was not installed (flashed) correctly. Try to reinstall summitter's rom or ask other users on the related thread.

Bye

sas90850

Dec 14, 2005
It work very well. I used this method to refresh my QTEK 9100 (G4) to Dopod Asia WWE ROM. :lol:

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
I tried it again last nite following the advice here, i double checked the rom start number etc and it still crashed at exactly 50%!

i will try a different rom

minirx7

Jun 18, 2006
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR DEVICE IS ACTUALLY A G4 FLASH CHIP AND NOT A G3FLASH CHIP.

REMEMBER, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE *.0001 ON YOUR SPL/IPL, YOU DO NOT HAVE A G4 FLASH CHIP AND THIS TUTORIAL DOES NOT APPLY!!!

IF you ahve a G3, you can go ahead and use CID UNLOCKER and flash normally with the regular upgrades.

This only applies to G4's for which I have yet to see a ROM with updated IPL/SPL loaders.

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
I have definitely got a G4 , i checked and it says .0001 after the 2 files you mentioned.

One question though the update programme is in Italian is this correct?

spacecat

Jul 15, 2006
MR CLEAN 2.24 HE SAY YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

FINALLY DONE IT!!

Realised that the 80040000 changed , it didnt do at first but only when i typed in HTC Logo. Its stopped at 96 % for about 5 mins so i thought it was gonna F**k up again!

just gonna start to test it out but it seems alot quicker responding than before.

Nice work Risidoro and cheers to all who gave me HELP!

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
spacecat said:
MR CLEAN 2.24 HE SAY YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

FINALLY DONE IT!!

Realised that the 80040000 changed , it didnt do at first but only when i typed in HTC Logo. Its stopped at 96 % for about 5 mins so i thought it was gonna F**k up again!

just gonna start to test it out but it seems alot quicker responding than before.

Nice work Risidoro and cheers to all who gave me HELP!

I'm really really glad you succeeded!!! :)

Maybe i should have explained it better, both in the tutorial and in my previous posts, that the OS address field reset to the default, wrong value (82040000) every time you move to another field or type something.

Enjoy your new OS!!!

bye

behindthesofa

Jul 12, 2006
So you guys,

As I'm not really experienced with rom cooking, I do not have the heart to attempt this procedure myself (although the tutorial is very clear). Would it not be a good idea to store the working cooked roms somewhere, so that everybody can access them? I'm positive that loads of people are for example interested in the adapted MrClean version, right :wink:?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    a few days ago i wrote on this forum that i had been able to install an italian ROM on a G4, CID-Locked Wizard. Since then, i've received several mails and PM from users asking me how i did. Instead of replying each one, i though it was better to write a tutorial and post it here for everyone to read/comment/correct it.

Here it is. Together with the tools you'll need to perform the update.

PS: in this tutorial i'm not explaining how to CID-UNlock a G4 or G3 (>= 2.21) phone. There is not yet a way to CID unlock these phones. I'm just describing how to circumvent the CID-lock problem by installing a ROM deprived of the IPL and SPL parts.

DISCLAIMER: THE PROCEDURE I’M GOING TO EXPLAIN DEALS WITH ROM ‘COOKING’ AND THUS IT MAY CAUSE SEVERE DATA LOSS OR EVEN IRREMEDIABLY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE!
    THE AUTHOR, NOR EVERY OTHER PERSON INVOLVED (E.G. THE ROM TOOLS DEVELOPERS), SHALL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MALFUNCTIONS OR DAMAGES THIS PROCEDURE MAY CAUSE.

By following this tutorial, you're removing both the bootloaders (IPL and SPL) from a rom of your choice. This means that, if you don't make errors while 'cooking' the rom, you cannot completely destroy (brick) your phone. Sure, you could end up with a non-booting rom but, as long as you can get to the three colors screen (the bootloader screen) you'll always be able to install a different (or your previous) working rom.

On the other hand, messing with IPL and SPL (i.e. installing a rom containing IPL and SPL in a CID locked device) is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and MUST be avoided in most cases!!!

Installing a 2.xx rom without messing with your phone's IPL and SPL is exactly what this tutorial tries to explain.

NEVER INSTALL ROMS OR FOLLOW TUTORIALS IF YOU'RE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!
    ALWAYS ASK BEFORE PROCEEDING! A SIMPLE QUESTION MAY SAVE YOUR PHONE FROM DEATH!