G2 Front facing camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

wrxtc714

Jul 5, 2008
Buena Park, California
You guys are probably right about it not being a camera.
but for all the people saying why would they hide something people want.
As I mentioned before my nexus one now does things like hd recording, wireless n, fm radio, multitouch, all things that weren't listed in the specs fyi
you guys are just haters.
They could easily have put the phone out before it was done just to get it out before the mytouch hd.
While it is stable unlike the iphone 4g release, future updates can easily give us new features.
And yes I've been following the mytouch hd for awhile now and can't wait for it to get here to add to the collection.
In a thread somewhere on here i read that the vibrant has a space made to install a front facing camera and people have got it working. Why tmobile had it left out who knows.
In no way am I saying the g2 has this but I just wanted to bring it up as a point that even though this might not apply to the g2 there can always be "more than meets the eye"

Jorsher

Cyanogen has a rooted G2 locked in a vault under his desk right now. After a brief conference call with Chuck Norris and Batman it was decided that he not release it due to the amazing uncontrollable power that would be unleashed on the earth and the possible consequences of it falling into the wrong hands.

True story.

I had a friend who is now just a torso because he tried to open the vault, and unfortunately was promptly dismembered by Ninja Chuck and a plastic spork.

Reactions: Ultima94
D

diversificationied

No company is going to put hardware in it and then not use it.

In the case of the N1, all that hardware was already included and used for ohter purposes.

(FM is part of the wifi/bluetooth/fm combo) Nearly all phones use that same chip.The issue is with getting proper FCC approval for the FM portion.

HD recording/Multitouch/etc, strictly a software trick using the existing hardware.

A front facing camera would mean extra cost, if it had been included they would have advertised the **** out of it. This is the reason why the samsung camera is yanked out of the vibrant. A few bucks over a couple hundred thousand units, is a couple hundred thousand dollars in savings.

MCbrian

Nov 21, 2006
Bend, Oregon
I was talking about the vibrant
how can you use my first line and put it together with one near the end
and talk trash lol
that was weird

Well...the Vibrant is a different brand/manufacturer than the G2....so I don't see the relevance of making that comparison.
If we're going to compare anything-to-anything, my Lenovo Thinkpad has a front-facing camera... :rolleyes:

wrxtc714

Jul 5, 2008
Buena Park, California
No company is going to put hardware in it and then not use it.

In the case of the N1, all that hardware was already included and used for ohter purposes.

(FM is part of the wifi/bluetooth/fm combo) Nearly all phones use that same chip.The issue is with getting proper FCC approval for the FM portion.

HD recording/Multitouch/etc, strictly a software trick using the existing hardware.

A front facing camera would mean extra cost, if it had been included they would have advertised the **** out of it. This is the reason why the samsung camera is yanked out of the vibrant. A few bucks over a couple hundred thousand units, is a couple hundred thousand dollars in savings.
How about a couple hundred thousand lost in profits instead
what you say is obviously not from a business point of view
camera = more sales = more profit
very simple to understand

wrxtc714

Jul 5, 2008
Buena Park, California
Well...the Vibrant is a different brand/manufacturer than the G2....so I don't see the relevance of making that comparison.
If we're going to compare anything-to-anything, my Lenovo Thinkpad has a front-facing camera... :rolleyes:

Once again idiot read again
I made it very clear that me mentioning the vibrant had nothing to do with the g2
you are really terrible at comprehension i see.

MCbrian

Nov 21, 2006
Bend, Oregon
Once again idiot read again
I made it very clear that me mentioning the vibrant had nothing to do with the g2
you are really terrible at comprehension i see.

If the Vibrant had no relevance to the topic, why did you mention it at all?

And where did you get the "couple hundred thousand" value? So...you're a business analyst as well as an expert in phone-design strategies?

I know you're a little kid -- which isn't your fault -- but that doesn't really excuse this stuff.

D

diversificationied

How about a couple hundred thousand lost in profits instead
what you say is obviously not from a business point of view
camera = more sales = more profit
very simple to understand

Front facing cameras aren't really in high demand, couple with the extra network overhead involved, it makes financial sense for t-mobile, especially on a phone that is more than likely more expensive to have produced than others(metal body/keyboard/new generation innards).

wrxtc714

Jul 5, 2008
Buena Park, California
If the Vibrant had no relevance to the topic, why did you mention it at all?

And where did you get the "couple hundred thousand" value? So...you're a business analyst as well as an expert in phone-design strategies?

I know you're a little kid -- which isn't your fault -- but that doesn't really excuse this stuff.

Yes I am
and i'm as good at it as you are at trying to make arguments
kid. No. sorry
i'm 30 yo live in orange county ca
have my own company and im very successful
I doubt you'll make it as one of my neighbors one day
But good luck though

wrxtc714

Jul 5, 2008
Buena Park, California
Front facing cameras aren't really in high demand, couple with the extra network overhead involved, it makes financial sense for t-mobile, especially on a phone that is more than likely more expensive to have produced than others(metal body/keyboard/new generation innards).

Hi
first hspa+ phone
just like the evo was sprints first 4g phone
look how many evos are out there and the demand is still high for them
so in your opinion tmobile is smarter than sprint correct?

Im sure someone will have a silly reply
come on lets hear it

the want and need has already been established.
Your personal view of the necessity of a camera is nothing to the proven numbers

D

diversificationied

Hi
first hspa+ phone
just like the evo was sprints first 4g phone
look how many evos are out there and the demand is still high for them
so in your opinion tmobile is smarter than sprint correct?

Im sure someone will have a silly reply
come on lets hear it

the want and need has already been established.
Your personal view of the necessity of a camera is nothing to the proven numbers

You have proven numbers about cameras being deciding factors for phone purchases? Let's seem them.

Sprint is a better position to take bigger gambles than T-Mobile is, yes.

Higher speed is universally wanted by everyone, what's your point?

Video chatting has been a sci-fi dream for decades, video conferencing have existed for years as well. Landlines have essentially come and gone and video phones never managed to take off. What do you think is different in the mobile landscape?

Last edited:

userfriendlyme

Cyanogen has a rooted G2 locked in a vault under his desk right now. After a brief conference call with Chuck Norris and Batman it was decided that he not release it due to the amazing uncontrollable power that would be unleashed on the earth and the possible consequences of it falling into the wrong hands.

LOL ok this was rather funny i needed that laugh thanks

G210410

Oct 8, 2010
G2 FFC

Ok there is a front facing camera I have had mine sence the fourth and my brother works for tmo and he confirmed that its there just has to be unlocked

Reactions: l_____l

k25anova51

Jul 24, 2007
I've been on this forum for awhile, but have never posted. OP, I'm so dumbfounded by your attempts at arguing points. Sure, some people want front facing cameras. Sure, T-Mobile would make a whole lot more money if they could raise the price of the phone and sell more units.

But you're ignoring all the other points that 1) there has been a teardown of the phone that reveals no FFC and 2) all the new features in the nexus one were based on software upgrades, not hardware.

l_____l

Mar 2, 2009
Ok there is a front facing camera I have had mine sence the fourth and my brother works for tmo and he confirmed that its there just has to be unlocked

I've read every post in this thread and almost needed to kick the dog!

1st, being the Vibrant is NOT a G2, does not mean it's irrelevant. My first thought was the Nokia N900 (now at least a year old) and how it's front facing camera is there, but NOT software enabled! I ALMOST bought the N900, just because Skype was built in with the OS! However, the N900's front VGA camera was NOT software implemented at the time. Hardware was there for sure! And Skype is loving their "video chat" thing. However, it boils down to one thing. Technology is OBSOLETE every 90 days! The front facing camera in ANY device is just a lens! ...not an entire separate camera. The "camera hardware" is nothing more than a "chip-set".

Now, for the reason T-Mobile/HTC is keeping it a secret? Simple! If they let the word out, they would need several container ships to send all those "My Touch video chat ready" units back to where they came from!

At the end of the day, I do believe, without disassembling my G2, that there is indeed a "pin sized" VGA camera lens just under the "proximity/light sensor".

And here is how I came to that conclusion.... If you have ever shined a flashlight into the front element of a 35mm SLR camera lens at an angle, you will notice, that when you move the flashlight, you will see a bright spot of refracted light rotate 180 degrees from the source. I use this method when cleaning camera lenses...and under a magnifying glass, I see this on my G2.

As far as cost of the front camera "hardware"?... I'd guess 20-30 CENTS! Leaving the front camera out? A 10-15 million $ loss.

U all have pHuN!

-Pace
UN-rooted G2 tethered and apps2SD

~~Tito~~

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 30, 2007
. . . . . There is no front camera on the G2. . .look at the disassembly pictures. . . . . .:rolleyes:

PLUS

There is no way in HELL that the G2 would go this long with out someone noticing an ACTUAL FFC. . . .

PLUS PLUS! There are two sensors, the proximity sensor, and the light sensor. No camera, and the proximity sensor uses a lens, that does not mean it is a "Pin-Hole" VGA, there wouldn't be enough room for a "camera under the proximity sensor".

Sheesh, cell phones don't have conspiracy's or anything like that behind them, and they aren't magical either. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    someone already tore the phone apart. Don't you think they would have mentioned a FFC?

True story.

I had a friend who is now just a torso because he tried to open the vault, and unfortunately was promptly dismembered by Ninja Chuck and a plastic spork.
    G2 FFC

. . . . . There is no front camera on the G2. . .look at the disassembly pictures. . . . . .:rolleyes:

PLUS

There is no way in HELL that the G2 would go this long with out someone noticing an ACTUAL FFC. . . .

PLUS PLUS! There are two sensors, the proximity sensor, and the light sensor. No camera, and the proximity sensor uses a lens, that does not mean it is a "Pin-Hole" VGA, there wouldn't be enough room for a "camera under the proximity sensor".

Sheesh, cell phones don't have conspiracy's or anything like that behind them, and they aren't magical either. . .

I COMPLETELY agree with Tito. Although it would be cool if they were somehow hiding the fact they had a ffc, its just not there.

People see weird things with proximity sensors and ambient light sensors. They always mistake them for front facing cameras.

I would actually be willing to bet (with real money) that there is NO front facing camera on the G2. LOL :D