[Android] ANDROID FAQs thread, check here first, please contribute

Search This thread

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
tatnai, how do I put the phone into vibrate mode? When I long press the end key, I can select Silent, but the phone doesn't vibrate when a call comes in. Basically, I would like to have all sounds off but the phone still vibrate on incoming calls.

thanks.

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
tatnai, how do I put the phone into vibrate mode? When I long press the end key, I can select Silent, but the phone doesn't vibrate when a call comes in. Basically, I would like to have all sounds off but the phone still vibrate on incoming calls.

thanks.

You have to go to Settings ->Sounds and Notifications. In there, you will see an option for the phone to vibrate for an incoming call. Just activate it and you are set!

dommo15

Jan 25, 2010
please describe your problem better, I can't do anything with the info you've given.

Well when u first start on the android and u go through some screens it asks u if u have a google account or create one well i have one and when i tried to sign in it says unable to connect to google server try again if problem presits call well.... i waited an hour or so to try ago and the same thing and im on sprint with an everything data sooo i dont understand

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Well when u first start on the android and u go through some screens it asks u if u have a google account or create one well i have one and when i tried to sign in it says unable to connect to google server try again if problem presits call well.... i waited an hour or so to try ago and the same thing and im on sprint with an everything data sooo i dont understand

do you have data running at that time? try skipping signing in to google servers, go through the rest of the wizard, and then hold down the red key and select power of. hit ok to power off, then turn it back on and let it boot up. when you get back in, open up gmail or some other google dependent app, and try loggin in then.

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
You have to go to Settings ->Sounds and Notifications. In there, you will see an option for the phone to vibrate for an incoming call. Just activate it and you are set!

Thanks. I figured out an easier way. Just use the volume hardware keys on the side of the phone to decrease the volume to zero. Just before it hits zero, the icon changes into a phone vibrate... Press volume down even further and it goes into silent mode.

I'm discovering new things everyday. It's like I just got a new phone :D

Nick N

Sep 10, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Don't forget to enable vibrate text notification

Open messaging > power button for Menu > Settings > scroll to bottom, click check box

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Don't forget to enable vibrate text notification

Open messaging > power button for Menu > Settings > scroll to bottom, click check box

or use handcent sms, because among all the other benefits (pop up notify, voice to text from pop up or regular message), you can just make it vibrate when the phone ringer is set to vibrate.

dommo15

Jan 25, 2010
do you have data running at that time? try skipping signing in to google servers, go through the rest of the wizard, and then hold down the red key and select power of. hit ok to power off, then turn it back on and let it boot up. when you get back in, open up gmail or some other google dependent app, and try loggin in then.

yes at the time i did ill redo it all the flashing and stuff and see it missed something

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Android Keymap

1. top power: short press = turn on power, wake screen, menu. 1-second long press = toggle keyboard. 2-second long press = toggle portrait/landscape orientation
2. volume slider: volume
3. camera: short press = back. 0.5-second long press = home. 1-second longpress: running app list
4. green: short press = call log. long press = voice dialer
5. red: short press = sleep screen. long press = phone option menu (power off, airplane mode, silent, etc)
6. enter, direction keys = standard functions
7. to enter install menu on boot: hold down this button until it pops up

Last edited:

berardi

Jul 16, 2007
NYC
Hey Tatnai,

Question about Dzo's updated builds - if I'm already running Plemen's Donut, what does it take to update to the latest " git, kernel and NBH" I guess I don't know what "git and kernel" refer to. NBH is just the VOGUIMG flash..

Thanks again for your work! This should surely be stickied!

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Hey Tatnai,

Question about Dzo's updated builds - if I'm already running Plemen's Donut, what does it take to update to the latest " git, kernel and NBH" I guess I don't know what "git and kernel" refer to. NBH is just the VOGUIMG flash..

the basics:

plemen's donut and other ROMs are the "system" which contains the android innards, the theme, and programs that the chef cooks in (and some other settings, including lcd.density). the kernel (which is zImage on sd card installs) contains the drivers that tell it how to interact with our vogue hardware. on a nand install, the .nbh contains the kernel and everything in init.rd (so .nbh = zImage + initrd.gz), as well as resolution information. and then you have your data.img which contains all your settings, all your programs, etc.

updating the kernel (zImage on sd card installs, .nbh on nand installs) doesn't affect your system or your data. so you can flash away all the .nbh's you want after getting android set up on the nand, you'll just be updating the kernel without touching the rest.

the git is where dzo and the other devs push changes so that they can all see the work that others are doing and keep the files current with all the devs changes.

slow88lx

Apr 18, 2009
Galaxy S4
Can someone please clarify the install menu selections.

I believe I have all the correct files on my cleaned SD card, but I can't get through the install process and I believe it's because I don't fully understand what options I have when installing.

Could the directions be amended to simpler terms.

For Example:
1. Select 'Option 3'
2. Select 'Install to SDcard'
3. Select 'yes'

Right now the directions are kinda vague when they could be so much more specific with regards to new install menu.

Nick N

Sep 10, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Tatnai,

Assuming you:

Have Android installed NAND already;
Have a PC with USB to mini USB cord;
Have a generic RUU folder on your PC (attached if you need it)

You will have to:

Download updated NBH file;
Rename it RUU_signed, place in RUU folder;
Plug Vogue into USB with Android running, be sure to check the Stay Awake option on USB Debugging;
Put Vogue in bootloader mode (power + camera + soft reset);
Double click ROMUpdateUtility;
Follow directions, once complete it should reboot.

Last edited:

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Can someone please clarify the install menu selections.

I believe I have all the correct files on my cleaned SD card, but I can't get through the install process and I believe it's because I don't fully understand what options I have when installing.

Could the directions be amended to simpler terms.

For Example:
1. Select 'Option 3'
2. Select 'Install to SDcard'
3. Select 'yes'

Right now the directions are kinda vague when they could be so much more specific with regards to new install menu.

I wrote them vague on purpose. this was because the plain sd card option, and the ext2 option were reversed at the time I wrote it. I don't know if that was fixed or not. also, the numbers of the second menu can change depending on what you have in your andboot folder. I could definitely be more specific about the pop-up menus that follow selecting an option, I'll try to update that in the near future.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA

Fancy_Lad

Dec 10, 2008
I finally made the leap to flashing Android to NAND a couple days ago and realized today that the only thing I'm missing at this point is tethering. It isn't something I use very often, but when I need it, I *need* it so I would rather have it tested and ready to go.

What are our options for tethering at this point?

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I finally made the leap to flashing Android to NAND a couple days ago and realized today that the only thing I'm missing at this point is tethering. It isn't something I use very often, but when I need it, I *need* it so I would rather have it tested and ready to go.

What are our options for tethering at this point?

depends on what type of computer you have.

tetherbot: never used, read about at the link

azlink: never used, read about at link

PDANet: find in the market, all operating systems, trial 30 days then only non secure sites, then it is something like $23.95 to buy full version without limit on secure sites. USB only unless you are android 2.0 or above, then bluetooth as well (if it works on your rom)

eztether: nice alternative to pdanet, free trial after feb 21 will only allow non-secure sites, then $9.95 for full version, USB only right now, and currently only 32-bit windows. planning to expand operating systems and to bluetooth, so may come soon.

there are probably others out there as well.

Top Liked Posts