Verizon Galaxy S3 supports HSPA+!!

Search This thread

nerdydesi

Apr 28, 2011
Texas
Did you have to do anything special to get this to work? The VZW iPad 3 also has an HSPA+ radio as well, great news for travelers!

ExodusC

Mar 29, 2010
I wanna say that you cant browse and talk while on 3g but it works fine while on 4g. So if anything I think that commercial was more so directed towards the Verizon model of the iphone and the iphone commercial you were seeing was from AT&T. This is my guess anyways.
I believe that's incorrect- a very limited number of Verizon's phones support simultaneous voice and data, and if I am not mistaken, the Galaxy S3 is one of them.

tdperry

May 16, 2012
East Texas
I would recommend a new Verizon rep. Eventually voice will be over LTE but currently is not. Verizon has no HSPA+ so his logic is flawed. Also, all Verizon LTE phones support talk and surf while on LTE and some support on 3G like the thunderbolt.

And the S3 III. It is SVDO capable if your towers support it.

TAPPED in on my locked bootloader Verizon S3

newuser134

Dec 18, 2009
Edit: I am curious about the other thread going where someone got it to connect to AT&T's towers (only voice) though.

I was able to get it to work on AT&T AND T-Mobile, with the help of OP here, by manually editIng the APN's after rooting. It's not just voice, I was able to get data on both gsm networks as well, but data is only EDGE (2G) for now. On T-Mobile this phone will never get faster than 2G, because their faster speeds are on 1700MHz and this phone can't get that. On AT&T it hasn't been achieved because there has been no 3G or HSPA+ sim card available to test on yet. It's good to hear the phone can connect to HSPA+ networks though.

The thread that describes everything is here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775566

azizsfh

Jan 16, 2007
How did you manually edit the APNs after rooting?

Can you share what method you used to edit those APNs?

Thanks
Aziz

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
I was able to get it to work on AT&T AND T-Mobile, with the help of OP here, by manually editIng the APN's after rooting. It's not just voice, I was able to get data on both gsm networks as well, but data is only EDGE (2G) for now. On T-Mobile this phone will never get faster than 2G, because their faster speeds are on 1700MHz and this phone can't get that. On AT&T it hasn't been achieved because there has been no 3G or HSPA+ sim card available to test on yet. It's good to hear the phone can connect to HSPA+ networks though.

The thread that describes everything is here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775566

Is there a way to simply add APN profile on non-rooted vzw S3? I simply loaded it with AT&T SIM and I'm getting voice and text, but without proper APN settings, I'll never get data. I don't see an option to add APN settings on my stock device under APN settings :(

lair12

Oct 9, 2011
Cary, NC
HSPA+ in Russia

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 I took on my russian vacation and get HSPA+ speed some of the time. Using MTS provider SIM card with their Connect-4 service.

Beemer533

Apr 29, 2011
Syracuse
So I'm going to be doing some work in Germany and Kyrgyzstan soon; do I need root for this to work? And what would be the steps to edit the APN? I'm not even sure what those are.....

azizsfh

Jan 16, 2007
900 mghz hspa?

Hi

I want to use my s3 in Jordan, where the carriers I use are on 900 MGHZ 3g band. Has anyone confirmed if that band is only 2g or if they have HSPA as well on 900 in the radio? Thanks!

mikalose

Sep 28, 2012
Los Angeles
Verizon Galaxy S3 supports HSPA+!!

I test My Verizon Galaxy S 3 in China Unicom‘S network,

download speed 11Mbps

it's hspa+,

:D

Please forgive the noob question, but is hspa+ data only, or does it include voice?

Also please confirm that this did *not* involve rooting or a new ROM, you just inserted a new SIM card.

Thank You!

Beemer533

Apr 29, 2011
Syracuse
Please forgive the noob question, but is hspa+ data only, or does it include voice?

Also please confirm that this did *not* involve rooting or a new ROM, you just inserted a new SIM card.

Thank You!

Your best bet is to check out this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809314&page=11

It is more current. Post 106 has the most up to date info.

Root is required to edit the APN file the easy way..

You don't need to flash anything to do this.

Top Liked Posts