[Guide] fix skype text msg issue

Search This thread

Pannam

Nov 4, 2012
Hi
Guys we all know some apps dpi are just not compatible with ultra, well its nobody's fault if it all ends well. Some of you probably know this fix but for people like me who didn't below are the issue and the fix

Issue: The text box in skype gets cut off i.e we can call, voice call etc but just can't text anybody. Its even worse in landscape!

Fix:
Prerequisite:
1. Root
2. Always backup

Method 1.(I dont prefer)
1.Use an app in google play store to change the dpi, drawbacks is it will affect the whole device i.e everything gets tiny.

Method 2 (I prefer)
1. Install xposed installer from HERE
2. within xposed download and install App Settings
3. Run App settings search for skype and then change screen dpi to 800x1280, hit save.

thats it the text msg box will reappear without changing the size of the font.

Yes there is just an apk you could rather install without going thru xposed installer but then again i suggest everyone to experiment & discover mods present in xposed installer.

Reactions: kipue

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
Funny thing is that this thread got bombarded after 2 months of creation. X)

Seriously dude you stretch ur thumb and type on landscape? This a fix for potrait.

Well, hello left hand i suppose? Yeah not to discourage you to fix portrait issue, but to do rooting and installing Xposed just to fix such issue is not worth it imo.. Just move that lazy left hand and problem solved. I have sounded to them in Play Store though through my Rating Comment so while i agree it is irritating to have the portrait issue, but it's not worth the time to fix it by rooting and such. Maybe the better solution if you customize the Skype apk and post it right here so unrooted people can gain the advantage too.

Pannam

Nov 4, 2012
Funny thing is that this thread got bombarded after 2 months of creation. X)

Well, hello left hand i suppose? Yeah not to discourage you to fix portrait issue, but to do rooting and installing Xposed just to fix such issue is not worth it imo.. Just move that lazy left hand and problem solved. I have sounded to them in Play Store though through my Rating Comment so while i agree it is irritating to have the portrait issue, but it's not worth the time to fix it by rooting and such. Maybe the better solution if you customize the Skype apk and post it right here so unrooted people can gain the advantage too.

I never checked back on this thread until I got an email today.
Not to sound rude but mate I seriously dont need your encouragement either. I was just trying to help. Skype will eventually fix this issue. Its pointless decompiling, editing and uploading for me. Most of the users have root and Xposed module is widely used. Moreover 'root' has been clearly stated as a prerequisite item in the OP.

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
I never checked back on this thread until I got an email today.
Not to sound rude but mate I seriously dont need your encouragement either. I was just trying to help. Skype will eventually fix this issue. Its pointless decompiling, editing and uploading for me. Most of the users have root and Xposed module is widely used. Moreover 'root' has been clearly stated as a prerequisite item in the OP.
Well i was just stating the obvious, put it into landscape and it's fixed, use that two hands of yours. There are a lot of unrooted users here you know (me included, due to Z series rooting hassle) so i just put it up right there so anybody can realize that. I was not aware of this issue until using Skype unintentionally in landscape, so to save anybody's time who hasn't done rooting, just go landscape bud, nobody ever complaining about playing their game in landscape and plus, just as what you said, they will fix it anyway, so why the need to kill the flies with a bullet?

But then again, no offense for you and i apologized if i have said something in a wrong manner, case closed.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot for this!
I have to say that I use Skype a lot, and this was a true issue for me.
This is XDA after all, so a solution using rooting is perfectly acceptable, and it is just a matter of what you want to do with your own device. (also root is reversible, isn't it?)

Pannam

Nov 4, 2012
Well i was just stating the obvious, put it into landscape and it's fixed, use that two hands of yours. There are a lot of unrooted users here you know (me included, due to Z series rooting hassle) so i just put it up right there so anybody can realize that. I was not aware of this issue until using Skype unintentionally in landscape, so to save anybody's time who hasn't done rooting, just go landscape bud, nobody ever complaining about playing their game in landscape and plus, just as what you said, they will fix it anyway, so why the need to kill the flies with a bullet?

But then again, no offense for you and i apologized if i have said something in a wrong manner, case closed.

I should apologize too. Lets hope someone comes with a better solution for users without root.
Take it easy mate. :)

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
One of the (bad) solution is to use the version 4.0.0.22082, the last version that lets you choose between phone and tablet UI yourself. (you can find it if you search for the APK)
Now Skype is at version 4.7 I believe, so yeah, that's bad ^^
You can also try IM+ pro, which lets you connect to skype, is better with the battery but really is not reliable when it comes to the quality of the connexion (also isn't free).
Yeah, I researched that a lot, haha!

iTemore

Apr 8, 2014
I think you haven't used Skype. It really works fine in landscape for me. Everything appear normal. Only in portrait the issue appears.

So it's the reason why I told you that it's really a mess to use it in landscape mode.

And it isn't a bug, but a decision of Skype to provide the app like that.

I had the same issue with the Ascend Mate, now with the Xperia Z Ultra.

So I'm sorry but it seems that you're not a real phablet user and also a real Skype user or you must have amazing hands ! Please share your picture from the guiness book !

Otherwise, if you follow also the community forum of Skype, you can see that we are a lot to complaint concerning that, and we will continue !

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
One thing I found, since I'm using Skype a lot for work, and I can't escape it, is to use Swiftkey keyboard (and probably others).
Not only it's a great keyboard normaly, it also have a "split" layout where the keys are reachable by thumbs on both sides of the screen.
It is the only way that Skype was actually usable before I found this thread :)

big

Sep 29, 2005
HaNoi
www.xedapxanh.vn
Today all vesion old can't connect to Skype, update to v.5xxx not show reply text... set dpi in appsettings it's very big!

R8zrB9K.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi
    Guys we all know some apps dpi are just not compatible with ultra, well its nobody's fault if it all ends well. Some of you probably know this fix but for people like me who didn't below are the issue and the fix

Issue: The text box in skype gets cut off i.e we can call, voice call etc but just can't text anybody. Its even worse in landscape!

Fix:
    Prerequisite:
    1. Root
    2. Always backup

Method 1.(I dont prefer)
    1.Use an app in google play store to change the dpi, drawbacks is it will affect the whole device i.e everything gets tiny.

Method 2 (I prefer)
    1. Install xposed installer from HERE
    2. within xposed download and install App Settings
    3. Run App settings search for skype and then change screen dpi to 800x1280, hit save.

thats it the text msg box will reappear without changing the size of the font.

Yes there is just an apk you could rather install without going thru xposed installer but then again i suggest everyone to experiment & discover mods present in xposed installer.
    Or just rotate the screen and boom it's there?