[APP/KERNEL] DUAL BOOT S PLUS

Search This thread

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
This is a great idea a long time coming! Now, I can have one ROM for daily and one ROM (super trimmed, energy efficient) for outdoor adventure trips.

jolo32

Mar 19, 2013
Bangalore
Hi H0rn3t,
Any quick tips to create the kernel pack for ADC team's R6 or maybe R4, so that I can use that as my secondary ROM?
Thanks for the dual boot App. I have been using it for a long time and it has been really helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: h0rn3t

h0rn3t

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 4, 2012
Hi H0rn3t,
Any quick tips to create the kernel pack for ADC team's R6 or maybe R4, so that I can use that as my secondary ROM?
Thanks for the dual boot App. I have been using it for a long time and it has been really helpful.

Only @educk can help you with kernel informations....

educk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2012
Hi H0rn3t,

Hi!

I wrote some explanations in the Ancora thread, you can check them out here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46201132&postcount=2

You could also unpack one of my modified kernels and one stock ADC kernel and see the differences in fstab.qcom ;)

Reactions: jolo32 and h0rn3t

adioph

May 12, 2005
the app closes after superuser grants the request, please help. thanks. I am using 2.3.6 as primary ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everyone!

Together with @h0rn3t we bring you Dual Boot Support for our beloved GT-I9001.

Let's get started :)

Requirements:
    Root
    Busybox
    CM or other AOSP like ROM based on 2.3.6+
    Minimum ~350MB internal storage free space
    External SD (min 4GB, the higher class, the better)

Description:

The process is fairly simple. The application will format your external-sd (we recommend to back up your personal data), then create 3 partitions as follows:
    • /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 -> storage (formatted VFAT)
    • /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 -> /system (formatted EXT4)
    • /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 -> /data (formatted EXT4)

After that you'll be given the possibility to flash a secondary ROM on your EXT-SD (currently only 4.1.2+ ROM's are supported as secondary and 2.3.6+ as primary).
    At last, you'll be able to switch between ROM's within the app.

Process:

WARNING: Partitioning and flashing operations could take up to 5 minutes each to complete !

1. Download the app and kernel pack from the Downloads section
    2. If you want the app to be automatically installed on the secondary ROM, push the app to /system/app and give proper permissions (rw-r-r or 644). Otherwise, just install it normally.
    3. Backup your personal data from the external sd card.
    4. Run the app and partition your external-sd.
    5. In app, choose flashing then choose your preferred secondary ROM from your internal SD card (must be 4.1.2 or higher).
    6. Your phone will reboot into recovery and automatically flash the secondary ROM. (in CWM, if you get "Signature Verification Failed", continue flashing, it is normal)
    7. After the flashing process is done, you'll be redirected to your primary ROM.
    8. On your internal SD-Card, you'll have a folder called DualBootSplus, open it up.
    9. Copy the kernels from the kernels pack into their appropriate subfolder. (eg CM-10 kernel (boot2.img) goes into 4.1.2 subfolder -> you'll have to create the subfolder if it doesn't exit)
    10. Now you can switch between ROM's or flash secondary gapps within the app.

Additional details:

• The kernel pack contains 2 kernel types for each ROM, Stock and OPT. OPT means that is has all the features from Phenom Kernel.
    • You must put only 1 boot2.img type (stock or OPT) in the DualBootSplus subfolders.
    • The app has integrated the 4.2.2 OPT kernel so you only need to put the stock boot2.img on your 4.2.2 subfolder. (if you want stock kernel).
    • The kernel will determinate which ROM will be booted. So, if you have a primary and secondary ROM, you can quickly switch between them within the app (make sure you have the kernels in the SD-Card subfolders), or manually by flashing the correspondent kernel.
    • The boot2.img can be flashed separately in ADB.

Special thanks goes to @Christopher83 for his kernel sources.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [GT-I9001] Dual Boot S Plus, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Contributors
    educk, h0rn3t

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.5.1
    Stable Release Date: 2013-10-27

Created 2013-09-29
    Last Updated 2014-04-13
    GOOD NEWS !
    We made the application to run on GB, so you can have now any ROM you want as primary ROM. DualBoot 1.3 is ready for download.
    Enjoy!
    Android 4.2.... 4.3....ION ROM in development..
    & now we have Dual boot too...
    Could we thank enough to the developers??..
    Hats off to you, sir...
    Reserved

WARNING! Make sure you have a flashable ZIP with your current kernel before switching to the secondary ROM so you can restore everything, just in case you did something wrong !

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]v1.6 [10.11.2013][/B]
    *Added new feature: [B]Backup/Restore secondary ROM[/B]
    *UI change: added Tools section with following functions: Prepare flashable zip, Backup Secondary ROM, Restore Secondary ROM, Reboot Recovery
    *In Prepare flashable zip section, use menu to choose between ROM and other types
    *Backup can be done from both roms.
    *Restore can be done only from primary rom. To delete a backup from list longpress on it.
    *Updated kernels (4.2.2, 4.3.1 and ION 4.2.2)

[B]v1.5[/B]
    *Changed partitions size limitation like this:

storage partition >= 512MB
    system partition >= 512MB
    data partition >= 1024MB
    storage partition + system partition + storage partition <= sdcard size

[B]v1.4 [14.10.2013][/B]
    *Changed the way ZIP's are handled (More details [B][URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46466826#post46466826"]here[/URL][/B])

[B]v1.3[/B]
    *Added GB Compatibility for Primary ROM (app works on GB too)

[B]v1.2 [04.10.2013][/B]
    *Minor UI Changes

[B]v1.1 [30.09.2013][/B]
    *Fixed problems with SD-Cards with +10GB capacity (16 GB SD-Cards work now)
    *Added the option to revert back to original ext-sd partition (VFAT)
    *Fixed the problems with: E: unknown volume for path [/mnt/sdcard/DualBootSplus/tmp.zip] and E: can't mount /mnt/sdcard/DualBootSplus/tmp.zip
    Hello guys, a new version with small ui changes is available.