[ISSUE] TouchPad Android Wifi Issue Thread

Search This thread

blanghorst

Mar 5, 2016
I just recently started having a problem on CM9 (don't have any other information anymore as I tried updating with jc's latest CM11) and thought updating to CM11 would fix things. Well, same problem, unfortunately. Any fixes on this? Any time I try to connect to a wireless network it looks as though it might and ends up saying "disabled" under the network name.

So, it has been awhile since I've been to this site and I thought I'd check in to see if there was progress on a Nougat install and, more importantly, a solution to the Wi-Fi card being disabled that many of us are seeing. To give a bit of history, I have a 32 GB Touchpad that I bought on firesale in 2011. The Wi-Fi card works great in webOS, but obviously with no future for webOS, I decided to load Android on my Touchpad in a dual load with webOS. Originally, I loaded one of the CM loads of Android 4. Wi-Fi initially worked great. One day, out of the blue, it just stopped working. I thought maybe the card had died, so I booted into webOS and sure enough, Wi-Fi had no issues. I've been searching for a solution to this issue for years - I've tried loading 4.3, 4.4, 5.x, and I believe even 6.x and nothing has ever solved the problem. I've since blown webOS away but I'm confident that if I reload it, Wi-Fi would work great.

My symptoms are the same as yours - if I go into settings and enable Wi-Fi, it spins for awhile and then disables it. I really have no idea what's going on. It isn't like I want to use this tablet as a daily driver or anything, but I'd like to use it as a home automation controller/dashboard mounted on a wall and for that to happen, I need Wi-Fi to work in Android. It doesn't appear that the issue has ever really been resolved. At this stage, I'm even willing to send my Touchpad into a developer for testing/troubleshooting so the problem would hopefully be resolved once and for all. I suspect that some of us have a slightly different revision of the Wi-Fi card in our Touchpads, but I can't be sure and who knows - maybe a developer already knows that exact issue but can't fix it.

duyhung0185

Mar 31, 2011
So, it has been awhile since I've been to this site and I thought I'd check in to see if there was progress on a Nougat install and, more importantly, a solution to the Wi-Fi card being disabled that many of us are seeing. To give a bit of history, I have a 32 GB Touchpad that I bought on firesale in 2011. The Wi-Fi card works great in webOS, but obviously with no future for webOS, I decided to load Android on my Touchpad in a dual load with webOS. Originally, I loaded one of the CM loads of Android 4. Wi-Fi initially worked great. One day, out of the blue, it just stopped working. I thought maybe the card had died, so I booted into webOS and sure enough, Wi-Fi had no issues. I've been searching for a solution to this issue for years - I've tried loading 4.3, 4.4, 5.x, and I believe even 6.x and nothing has ever solved the problem. I've since blown webOS away but I'm confident that if I reload it, Wi-Fi would work great.

My symptoms are the same as yours - if I go into settings and enable Wi-Fi, it spins for awhile and then disables it. I really have no idea what's going on. It isn't like I want to use this tablet as a daily driver or anything, but I'd like to use it as a home automation controller/dashboard mounted on a wall and for that to happen, I need Wi-Fi to work in Android. It doesn't appear that the issue has ever really been resolved. At this stage, I'm even willing to send my Touchpad into a developer for testing/troubleshooting so the problem would hopefully be resolved once and for all. I suspect that some of us have a slightly different revision of the Wi-Fi card in our Touchpads, but I can't be sure and who knows - maybe a developer already knows that exact issue but can't fix it.

Hi, I'm in the same boat. My symptom is when i install CM12, at first wifi connects great, in seconds. But after install apps, and updates, i need to reboot the tablet. but after reboot wifi will not connect to any network, showing full wifi strength at scanning, but drops to half bar when "connecting ..." and stays at connecting ... I can also replicate this by trying to change wifi network at initial setup, wifi card reset, and stop connecting.
Android 6x legacy DHCP client does not help, 7 does not have this function. And if i remember correctly, Android 6 and 7 does not connect to wifi at all (using Evervol ROM).

Any help anyone ? :(

Moody66

Nov 6, 2013
Uhrichsville
Which forum are you suggesting this should be in?

I know this is development but this thread was an attempt to pull out all the wifi related questions which are already being posted in the various development threads here. I thought that development was more appropriate as the main intention is to help and encourage the development of wifi to the point where the need for wifi support becomes much less.

There is a Troubleshooting section. That's what this is. You aren't developing something. Make sense now?

raz123

Oct 25, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi, I'm in the same boat. My symptom is when i install CM12, at first wifi connects great, in seconds. But after install apps, and updates, i need to reboot the tablet. but after reboot wifi will not connect to any network, showing full wifi strength at scanning, but drops to half bar when "connecting ..." and stays at connecting ... I can also replicate this by trying to change wifi network at initial setup, wifi card reset, and stop connecting.
Android 6x legacy DHCP client does not help, 7 does not have this function. And if i remember correctly, Android 6 and 7 does not connect to wifi at all (using Evervol ROM).

Any help anyone ? :(

Sounds like a driver issue. I have zero Android knowledge. Nevertheless, have you tried:

1. Watching logcat for entries when the issue occurs?
2. Restarting the network interface from the CLI?

duyhung0185

Mar 31, 2011
Sounds like a driver issue. I have zero Android knowledge. Nevertheless, have you tried:

1. Watching logcat for entries when the issue occurs?
2. Restarting the network interface from the CLI?

it certainly seems like its driver error. I looked into logcat and it has something like wifiscanner listener cannot be found ; wpa_supplicant wlan0 ctrl-event-driver-state disable ...

Rackson

Feb 17, 2018
Clearing

Clearing /data/misc/wifi and rebooting makes my touchpad connect to the router without any hesitation, I guess it is similar to forgetting and rebooting(but haven't tried that)

ROM: 0.2a Kang

Clearing the folder as in deleting everything in it? How should I go about clearing data/misc/wifi? I already have Root Access Mode enabled.
Touchpad%20wifi.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is intended to be a gathering point for all wifi issues on Android Touchpad ROMs.

Having a separate specific issue thread for this will serve several purposes.

• Avoid wifi issues getting lost in the more general Touchpad ROM threads.
    • Allow issues common to wifi operation on all the different ROMs to be concentrated in one thread.
    • Reduce annoyance to those who are currently enjoying good wifi operation and who see repetition in the issues being aired.
    • Make it easier to report tests and experience on different set ups and as new drivers / ROM integrations appear.
    • Make it easier for users with questions to see if it has been asked before.

Background
    Wifi operation on Android Touchpads currently is a hit and miss affair. Some users report flawless operation regardless of access point. Others can get stable operation with careful set up and / or choice of access point but problematic operation on access points over which they have no control. Others still fail to get conditions right for any form of stable operation.
    This is in comparison with WebOS based operation where the problems seem to be much fewer. Probably most of the explanation for this difference is the current lack of suitable drivers integrated into the ROM environment. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point and there are some encouraging signs already that improvements are possible.

Factors affecting operation
    There are several factors which could potentially affect the wifi performance with Android Touchpads including the type of Access point, the set up of the Access point, the local signal strength and interference conditions, variations in Touchpad hardware build, and how the ROM software has been installed and set up. A key factor on top of all these is the wifi drivers used and how they are integrated.

General advice
    Until the fundamental performance is improved the end user of the Touchpad can do some things to help get better performance particularly if they have control over the Access point. Typically this will be in the home situation. Possibilities for adjusting setting for work or public access points tend to be small or non-existent.

Note that not all suggestions work for everybody affected so you have to be prepared to experiment a little to see what may work for you.

The primary suggestions I offer that worked for me in my home situation is to lower the channel setting on the router to Channel 1 even though for me that was worse from a local interference point of view. Other suggestions include avoiding dual band operation and experimenting with security settings (like using WPA instead of WPA2).

Posting
    Please post to this thread if
    • You want to ask Android Touchpad wifi specific questions including problems you are encountering
    • You can answer Android Touchpad wifi specific questions posted here
    • You have reports on specific problems that may help resolve wifi issues
    • You have suggestions on how to improve operation in the short term with existing drivers
    • You have reports on new driver operation either better or worse.

Please also include the ROM and version used in any specific reports. Although wifi issues have been present on 2.3( e.g CM7) and 4.0 (ICS) the focus for development is now firmly on ICS and that is where improvements are likely to be made.

It is unhelpful at this stage just to post here that you do not have any wifi problems unless you have some specific advice on how that can be generally applied. We already know there are many who enjoy good wifi performance.

Currently I am using CherryKANG 0.2a which does have some experimental new drivers in and for me gives much better performance.
    That was only a preparation for a new driver which yet still has to come. New driver ath6kl, old driver (and still in use) ar6000.
    So no fix yet for wifi :(

these are the drivers that fixed wifi for me on nightlie version from yesterday:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37682542/update-ath6kl-v3.0-for-20120509-signed.zip
    Until today I could not connect to my home network without forgetting it and reconnecting, and my uni's network has been almost completely unusuable (on CM9, whereas webOS has been great).

Attempts to manually change locale/region in various ways have all failed.

adding "ap_scan=2" to data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf fixed the problem with my home router. Hoping it will work at uni as well.

If you have wifi trouble, if nothing else can help, and if you're bored, maybe you can set ap_scan mode to 2. This mode seems to be appreciated by some of the more frustrating/crappy drivers out there. If it works, let us know! Maybe try ap_scan=1! Good luck :)
    Clearing /data/misc/wifi and rebooting makes my touchpad connect to the router without any hesitation, I guess it is similar to forgetting and rebooting(but haven't tried that)

ROM: 0.2a Kang