Unlock Galaxy Note 2 by hidden menu.

Search This thread

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Banjaman's modem is probably for the AT&T I317 and not for the Canadian I317M...

Try this CWM-flashable Bell/Rogers/Telus I317MVLALJ2 modem instead, perform the unlock from the hidden menus, then flash back to the Bell/Rogers/Telus I317MVLBMA3 modem.

IT WORKED!!! I could now use my wife's plan, she has a much more generous data plan, it will be great should I run out of minutes :)

I'm going to make some tests for the next few days with the old modem to see how it performs comapred to the new modem...

Man. I'm thrilled!!! I can hardly wait to make those tests... But it'll have to wait, I've got a very busy week ahead...

THANKS A MILLION!!!

Kensimoesxda

Nov 5, 2011
Barcelos
Galaxy Note2 N7105 carrier unlock

Goog evening,

This is my first post here on XDA although I have been a member for quite a while. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I have tried the unlock method using hidden menu as you have explained but I do not get the [4]NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. I have done everything correctly but nothing happens. I have tried rebooting the phone I tried the whole process over again but I simply do not get the NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. I wonder if its because I have 4.2.2 version on my phone.

Best regards

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Goog evening,

This is my first post here on XDA although I have been a member for quite a while. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I have tried the unlock method using hidden menu as you have explained but I do not get the [4]NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. I have done everything correctly but nothing happens. I have tried rebooting the phone I tried the whole process over again but I simply do not get the NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ option. I wonder if its because I have 4.2.2 version on my phone.

Best regards
You got your answer right there... You need to downgrade to JB 4.1.1, or install a 4.1.1 radio for your provider, unlock and update to 4.2.2 again. The unlock option was removed starting with 4.1.2, but once unlocked, it stays unlocked.

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
How do I downgrade to 4.1.1

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Odin back to stock. That's how.

Sent from my GN2 using XDA app.

Although reverting to a 4.11 ROM is possible, I'd only do that if I couldn't find a 4.1.1 modem for my provider or would want to avoid tripping the custom counter (which can be remedied anyway) or didn't have any extensive customizations . Flashing OEM ROMs is a long process, you'd have to backup the whole phone first, and I'm not sure you wouldn't have to do at least some reinstalling and tweaking, even with a full Titanium Backup.

Flashing just the 4.1.1 version of your modem is fast and easy, changes nothing in your setup and only takes about 15 minutes or so.

1) Find yourself the 4.1.1 version of your provider's modem for your device in ZIP or TAR format
2a) using Odin from the PC you can flash a TAR modem onto the device.
- OR -
2b) using CWM recovery you can flash a ZIP modem from your device's SD Card.
3) shut down the device, install the foreign SIM card in place of your provider's, start the device, unlock from the secret menu, test, shut down, replace your SIM card, check the signal again and flash back to your more recent modem, or not if the old modem gives better performance.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: webbles17

webbles17

Apr 2, 2012
Saskatoon
Although reverting to a 4.11 ROM is possible, I'd only do that if I couldn't find a 4.1.1 modem for my provider or would want to avoid tripping the custom counter (which can be remedied anyway) or didn't have any extensive customizations . Flashing OEM ROMs is a long process, you'd have to backup the whole phone first, and I'm not sure you wouldn't have to do at least some reinstalling and tweaking, even with a full Titanium Backup.

Flashing just the 4.1.1 version of your modem is fast and easy, changes nothing in your setup and only takes about 15 minutes or so.

1) Find yourself the 4.1.1 version of your provider's modem for your device in ZIP or TAR format
2a) using Odin from the PC you can flash a TAR modem onto the device.
- OR -
2b) using CWM recovery you can flash a ZIP modem from your device's SD Card.
3) shut down the device, install the foreign SIM card in place of your provider's, start the device, unlock from the secret menu, test, shut down, replace your SIM card, check the signal again and flash back to your more recent modem, or not if the old modem gives better performance.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply. That's the conclusion I came to also but I didn't want to flash an AT&T modem on my Telus phone in case it was the wrong one. I was selling the phone so I just told them to pay the 20 bucks and don't it online. Again thanks for the help.

Sent from my X909 using xda app-developers app

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Thanks for the reply. That's the conclusion I came to also but I didn't want to flash an AT&T modem on my Telus phone in case it was the wrong one. I was selling the phone so I just told them to pay the 20 bucks and don't it online. Again thanks for the help.

Sent from my X909 using xda app-developers app
You're right about the ATT modem/ROM, it doesn't work (I tried), there are major differences. The modem you need is Rogers/Bell/Telus (they're the same)

But if it's for selling why don't you just do as Skwerl23 suggested and revert back to the 4.1.1 OEM ROM? Just wipe everything and load the 4.1.1. OEM Rom and unlock from there and you'll be able to say to the buyer "there, I had it unlocked for you as a bonus". Just keep in mind that the 4.1.1 kernel is susceptible to sudden death syndrome (SDS) on some production runs and that updating the kernel (typically by upgrading the ROM to 4.1.2) is highly recommended.

To do all this you just need Odin on the computer, USB drivers to to connect the phone to the computer and the stock 4.1.1 ROM for your device such as found here. After that you can just let it upgrade itself the normal way through Samsung Kies or load the 4.1.2 ROM from Odin.

Last edited:

Aiowire

Feb 6, 2014
orlando
Nandroid before
Flash 4.1.1
Unlock
Restore nandroid

Abrakadabra a little imagination and you lost nothing

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda app-developers app

i rooted and downgraded to 4.1.1 everything went smoothly but i still do not see option 4
i havent read that it has happened to anyone else so im lost. can you help me please

thanks in advance

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
i rooted and downgraded to 4.1.1 everything went smoothly but i still do not see option 4
i havent read that it has happened to anyone else so im lost. can you help me please

thanks in advance
It's been such a long time ago I can't remember but I do remember you had to be patient and wait. Plus you needed to have the foreign sim installed before you could actually unlock the phone. Hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my Note 2 - Text mostly by Google Voice, May Contain Weirdness ;)

Reactions: Aiowire

Aiowire

Feb 6, 2014
orlando
It's been such a long time ago I can't remember but I do remember you had to be patient and wait. Plus you needed to have the foreign sim installed before you could actually unlock the phone. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks. im not really in a rush or anything but it has been a week. i tried using aio wireless sim and verizon and nothing

Devil-Dog

Aug 24, 2012
New Orleans
Samsung Galaxy S9
SIM not needed to unlock

....Plus you needed to have the foreign sim installed before you could actually unlock the phone. Hope this helps a bit.

I did mine without a sim installed.
Phone was an AT&T Live Demo and I use T-Mobile. My vibrant I was switching to the note 2 from, doesn't use the microSim. I had no way to know for sure it worked until I walked in to purchase a new sim.

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
I did mine without a sim installed.
Phone was an AT&T Live Demo and I use T-Mobile. My vibrant I was switching to the note 2 from, doesn't use the microSim. I had no way to know for sure it worked until I walked in to purchase a new sim.

Hmmm... That's weird, I tried without a sim installed and it didn't work...

Mind you I only did it for my own Note 2...

I wonder how it went with others... What version of the device do you have?

Top Liked Posts