[Q] 4.4.2 KitKat Update Issues

Search This thread

kbrown.1407

Nov 11, 2011
So I used saferoot to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....

Last edited:

xnatex21

Jun 3, 2010
So I used safestrap to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...

Can anyone offer any insight on either of these options? I'd probably prefer to revert to 4.3 and have root over 4.4.2 without....

If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.

Reactions: kbrown.1407

kbrown.1407

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks

If you're on 4.3 w/o root, you can follow this thread and regain root. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2752360

I haven't see anyone post 4.4.2 yet to manually flash if the download fails. I'm the same boat there. Give it a few days and I'm sure someone will post it.

Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?

xnatex21

Jun 3, 2010
Thanks, I actually came across that post just a bit ago (apparently gave up on finding an answer a bit early, sorry). One other question though, if and/or when someone posts 4.4.2, is there a way to update manually and maintain root access? Or is root lost once it's updated in any way?

The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.

Reactions: kbrown.1407

kbrown.1407

Nov 11, 2011
The only way you'd be able to get root is if someone finds a root exploit for this specific device and 4.4.2 (assuming you're on 4.3 with a locked bootloader already).

If you don't have a locked bootloader, then you can flash custom 4.4.x roms with root.

But if you are on a custom rom with an unlocked bootloader and you ODIN to the stock Verizon 4.4.2 that rolled out yesterday, you'd get a locked (possibly permanently) bootloader and a potentially un-rootable 4.4.2 rom.

I am on 4.3 with the locked bootloader. Thanks again for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I used safestrap to root back at the 4.3 update; however, overnight one night my phone decided to install the tiny update Verizon pushed that kept 4.3 but took away root. Now I am trying to update to 4.4.2 via OTA update but it continuously fails...Since I've lost root already, I'm looking for a way to manually install the 4.4.2 update (knowing I won't have root access..but I don't know so...) or revert back to an 4.3 so I can root again with safestrap...