New Captivate Glide (SGH-I927)

Search This thread

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Hey everyone!

I just came over from the n900 camp. :)

I bought the new Captivate Glide (SGH-I927) yesterday (from Rogers), and I'm loving it so far. It is my first Android phone, though I also have a rooted Iconia Tab a100.

I'm a *nix administrator and hope to be able to contribute something useful to this community.

At the moment, I'm trying to get root, but it looks like I'm the only person in the world with this device, so far. :) I've tried a few things, but I'm cautious as it seems Samsung hasn't released the stock firmware yet (annoyingly).

Patience, I know. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here are the phone details:

Android 2.3.5
Baseband: I927RUXKJ5
Kernel: 2.6.36.3
Build number: GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ5

If anyone's curious to know more about it, ask away. :)

If I do manage to find the firmware or get root, I'll post it here.

ponyoninja

Mar 6, 2011
Have you ever had the OG captivate? Just wondering if you like it better than the original. How is the keyboard and the performance? We just got a ICS port, maybe you shoulda got an og ;)

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Have you ever had the OG captivate? Just wondering if you like it better than the original. How is the keyboard and the performance? We just got a ICS port, maybe you shoulda got an og ;)

Nope. First Android phone.

I'm hoping ICS will make its way to this one eventually... right now I'd just settle for root. :)

Keyboard is okay. n900's was better. Performance is, well, for an ex-n900 user, unbelievable.

sscianna

Jan 31, 2011
Got my Samsung Glide on Sunday at the AT&T store. They only received two of them and I was lucky enough to get one. I am coming from a Sony X10 which I rooted with Super One Click. I am afraid to do Super One Click on the Glide until others with more knowledge give it a try.

This phone is so much faster and the camera is 1,000 times better (even though the X10 was 8.1 MP).

The keyboard is why I bought it and so far, LOVE the phone!!! Would love it even more if rooted, so hopefully others have luck rooting it.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Got my Samsung Glide on Sunday at the AT&T store. They only received two of them and I was lucky enough to get one. I am coming from a Sony X10 which I rooted with Super One Click. I am afraid to do Super One Click on the Glide until others with more knowledge give it a try.

This phone is so much faster and the camera is 1,000 times better (even though the X10 was 8.1 MP).

The keyboard is why I bought it and so far, LOVE the phone!!! Would love it even more if rooted, so hopefully others have luck rooting it.

Tried SuperOneClick; no luck. Looks like the kernel we're running is actually from Honeycomb and I guess they patched the vulnerability zergRush was exploiting.

This is really irritating, coming from the n900 world. Google should really clamp down on this whole anti-root nonsense. It is unbelievably customer-hostile.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
zergRush doesn't work; I don't know much about it but I recall it being a kernel exploit, and the SGH-I927 uses 2.6.36.3 (I think the standard Honeycomb kernel).

KyleTroy

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll be picking up my Captivate Glide tonight or tomorrow I think. Hopefully we can find a root. Doesn't look like many people are buying this device just yet. Hopefully we'll get a dedicated forum.

TheDave78

Jun 24, 2011
I picked up one of these on Sunday when it became available (I have been waiting for this phone for months!).
This is now my 3rd Android phone on ATT (Moto Backflip, Moto Flipside, and now Samsung Captivate Glide).

You'll notice that every phone so far has had a physical QWERTY kb (I can't stand using touchscreens for typing).
I do have to say though, that this keyboard is my least favorite of the 3 devices (both the Moto's had a much better feel to the keyboards, sort of bubble buttons, not 100% flat like the kb buttons on the Glide).

The negative difference in the keyboard though is not enough to out-weigh ALL of the positives this phone has over the Moto's (CPU(!!!), screen size, camera, built-in storage, etc, etc). Not to mention getting Gingerbread(2.3) over Android 2.1!

Anyways, I too had looked briefly into rooting this phone, and I just began with looking for root programs for Android 2.3.5 (the Glides android version), and I could not easily find one, granted, I did not look all that hard.
I had/have previously rooted my previous 2 android phones though. And even installed the latest CyanogenMod onto my Backflip (that CPU was just TOOO SLOW, UGH...)

I would hope that a dedicated forum for this phone is coming, as it really has potential. I am holding off on the root search for now, and just looking for basics... like USB drivers / mass storage capabilities when hooked up to a computer.
Does anyone have some directions on this basic stuff?
Thanks!

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Well, at least switching it to mass storage mode is easy:

Settings->Wireless and network->USB utilities->Connect storage to PC

I agree with you on the KB. It sucks. It's not unusable, but my n900's keyboard was way better. Still doesn't detract significantly from the overall awesomeness of the device.

... except the root issue, which is seriously aggravating.

Reactions: daveb673

SupremeOverlord777

Nov 23, 2011
i guess your other option is to whip up a rooted stock kernel and drop it in through Odin/Heimdall. Thats what i used on my Galaxy S 2. Good Luck.

GSMinCT

Dec 11, 2010
Connecticut
I doubt there will be much dev action for the Glide, as they seem to have moved on to SGS II i777. Unfortunately for people who like physical boards, they are basically dead. Android started out strong for physical boards with the G1 and the DROID, but after DROID 2, no carrier has been carrying a flagship device with a 'board. Even the DROID 3, which is an impressive phone in it's own right, was already overshadowed by Verizon's 4G LTE, which currently doesn't have a high-end keyboarded device.

I wish they would keep going with physical boards, but I finally gave up hope and got an iPhone. My need for high-end phones is greater than my need for a keyboard, so I'm admitting defeat. :(

creasy425

Jun 11, 2011
Seattle
I was actually going in to att today to grab a sky rocket, and saw the glide by accident. As soon as I saw the physical kb, I was sold. Love the glide so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1 on rooting this thing. Its only been out for 2 days, but it doesnt seem like many people are getting the phone. It would help if we had our own forum.
    Post here so to help the chances of us getting our own forum.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1301121
    Well, at least switching it to mass storage mode is easy:

Settings->Wireless and network->USB utilities->Connect storage to PC

I agree with you on the KB. It sucks. It's not unusable, but my n900's keyboard was way better. Still doesn't detract significantly from the overall awesomeness of the device.

... except the root issue, which is seriously aggravating.
    Well.. to each their own.. :cool:

You forgot one more advantage of the 4S over (at least) the captivate glide.

You've got root, and I still don't. :mad:

I tell you, if Google doesn't start laying down the law on manufacturers / carriers, a lot of us developers are going to jump ship the moment there's an option. This whole anti-root fiasco is really challenging Google's "do no evil" motto.
    I am not posting this to be THAT guy.....but after reading all theze posts I can't help but think if things like Root and development is important to you why you would get this device. This phone in some ways is a very obscure release that may never see any real support possibly other than Root.

I understand that form factor and just liking a device is what actually makes you buy it....but if you like flashing and rooting and are not letting those things weigh on your decision then you may be getting left in the lurch. In short I am not ashamed of the fact that my love for flashing and what the Devs do here for us will always dictate my phone choice or at least narrow my field of choice. In the end I hope someone cracks that thing for you guys but if you don't see it happen soon you may want to exchange it for something a little more dev supported.

Sent from a HD2 ICS
    I am not posting this to be THAT guy.....but after reading all theze posts I can't help but think if things like Root and development is important to you why you would get this device. This phone in some ways is a very obscure release that may never see any real support possibly other than Root.

Well, like I said... I'm new to the Android world. :(

I had no idea how hostile manufacturers have become toward their customers. I've been on an n900 for the past few years (since the day it came out), and while Nokia wasn't perfect, one thing they did not do is pretend the device isn't the 100.0% property of those who purchased them. Sudo installed out-of-the-box, and a single package from the main repository enabled a root shell.

Sure, I heard about such and such device is finally rooted! but to be honest I didn't pay much attention (my bad); I assumed it was just a matter of figuring out how to enable development mode, and not a question of locked bootloaders or active effort by manufacturers to lock their customers out of their own property.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is quite... disturbing. I spent the last (almost) 20 years kernel hacking, installing, supporting, distributing and promoting Linux. Linux would not even exist today if yesterday's computers were designed with the limitations of today's mobile computers.

In any case, to me, the glide seemed like a spectacular device, and I thought it would be massively popular - an AMOLED screen, 2x1ghz chip, 1gb RAM and a qwerty KB.

I honestly had no idea that the market wasn't interested in keyboard phones anymore. That, too, is disappointing and quite confusing to me.

I understand that form factor and just liking a device is what actually makes you buy it....but if you like flashing and rooting and are not letting those things weigh on your decision then you may be getting left in the lurch. In short I am not ashamed of the fact that my love for flashing and what the Devs do here for us will always dictate my phone choice or at least narrow my field of choice. In the end I hope someone cracks that thing for you guys but if you don't see it happen soon you may want to exchange it for something a little more dev supported.

Ignorance on my part. :(

I thought a) the device would be very popular and b) getting root would be a matter of USB mounting /system and installing a 4755'd su. Little did I know...