[SCRIPT] No-lag solution to CM7/9 "low memory" notifications (STEP BY STEP,FIXED TB)

Search This thread

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
Try this: install root explorer, go to your /data/data partition, and delete the file that's called .nodatadata, then reboot into recovery and format your datadata partition, then try using the script. If it works let me know!

If not you have to Titanium Backup and start from a clean wipe (Technically, I think the system no longer sees the datadata partition after the command).

jgaviota

Jan 4, 2008
Try this: install root explorer, go to your /data/data partition, and delete the file that's called .nodatadata, then reboot into recovery and format your datadata partition, then try using the script. If it works let me know!

If not you have to Titanium Backup and start from a clean wipe (Technically, I think the system no longer sees the datadata partition after the command).

Deleting the .nodatadata file and formatting worked, I'm on Onecosmic's RC4

Herrnobiz

Feb 5, 2011
I suggest to use "Tasker" to execute the script everytime an app is installed so there's no need to manually launch the script.
On Onecosmic rc4.1

Last edited:

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
I suggest to use "Tasker" to execute the script everytime an app is installed so there's no need to manually launch the script.
On Onecosmic rc4.1

unfortunately that won't work, as the folders that need to be moved are only created once the app is opened and used. a better bet would be to set the script up to run periodically. tasker can do this with ASE scripts but i couldn't get ASE to run the script. let me know if you can.

Besthiroeu

Apr 18, 2011
I get a error in gscript after running script:
"stderr: Error: </data/data> is symbolic link, aborting"

What am I doing wrong? :D

Last edited:

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
I get a error in gscript after running script:
"stderr: Error: </data/data> is symbolic link, aborting"

What am I doing wrong? :D

Which ROM are you using? Did you already do the touch /datadata/.nodatadata + reboot step?

Use ES File Explorer (my favourite) or any other root explorer, and have a look at your /datadata partitions and /data/data partition? Is the second just a symbolic link to the first?

Reactions: Besthiroeu

Besthiroeu

Apr 18, 2011
Which ROM are you using? Did you already do the touch /datadata/.nodatadata + reboot step?

Use ES File Explorer (my favourite) or any other root explorer, and have a look at your /datadata partitions and /data/data partition? Is the second just a symbolic link to the first?

Forgot to mention CM9, I didnt use .nodatadata before.

kosmas75

Jan 31, 2012
I used the guide and everything seems to work well for me.
Some minor thing :Yesterday when i uninstalled chrome beta i notised in /datadata/ that the folder(com.android.chrome) of the application is still there and in /data/data/ it Wasn't . Is this normal? Should i manually delete what is leftover in datadata everytime i unistall something ?

Last edited:

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
I used the guide and everything seems to work well for me.
Some minor thing :Yesterday when i uninstalled chrome beta i notised in /datadata/ that the folder(com.android.chrome) of the application is still there and in /data/data/ it Wasn't . Is this normal? Should i manually delete what is leftover in datadata everytime i unistall something ?

A very good point - I may have to update the script :)

In the meantime it's nothing to worry about. The system doesn't even know that those folders are there (and they take up next to no space).

nixd

Sep 3, 2010
Istanbul
All media gone

OK, I used the script by following the steps. And it seems OK for now. The "low space" nuisance is gone etc.

BUT, I have lost all media. On boot, none of the music / images / videos are detected by the apps who use them (Gallery, UberMusic, etc.) But when I check with a file manager, they're there. (yet, they're not seen as media)

I wiped the Media Storage app's data and rebooted, still the same.

This wasn't the case before I applied the script.

It seems one other guy on this thread has had this issue but his issue resolved itself with a reboot. I guess I'm not that lucky.

Can you think any way out?

revthanki

Apr 9, 2010
OK, I used the script by following the steps. And it seems OK for now. The "low space" nuisance is gone etc.

BUT, I have lost all media. On boot, none of the music / images / videos are detected by the apps who use them (Gallery, UberMusic, etc.) But when I check with a file manager, they're there. (yet, they're not seen as media)

I wiped the Media Storage app's data and rebooted, still the same.

This wasn't the case before I applied the script.

It seems one other guy on this thread has had this issue but his issue resolved itself with a reboot. I guess I'm not that lucky.

Can you think any way out?

Try wiping gallery, music and rebooting again. Also go into Dev Tools, Media Provider and click scan SD Card.

beatimgame

Oct 27, 2010
Kötegyán
Is that normal to have 2040 points at Quadrant after using this no-lag solution, without overclock. Before that I could only reach 1700 with 130% Live oc.
I'm using teamhacksung's CM9 ALPHA, BETA 16 with Icy Glitch V14.

Last edited:

Funnnny

Jan 27, 2011
Hanoi
nguyenthanhcong.com
Is that normal to have 2040 points at Quadrant after using this no-lag solution, without overclock. Before that I could only reach 1700 with 130% Live oc.

That's normal, with /datadata on /data partition, you will get a big score in database read/write test. This is why quadrant score is useless ;)

iRS_

Sep 14, 2010
Bucharest
That's normal, with /datadata on /data partition, you will get a big score in database read/write test. This is why quadrant score is useless ;)

quadrant standard is useless but quadrant advanced is not useless :D

in quadrant standard u see only the total score but in quadrant advanced u see the cpu/mem/io/2d/3d scores individually, so if u oc ur cpu and don't use lag-fix u will se high cpu score and low io score but if u use lag-fix and don't oc ur cpu u se lower cpu score and MUCH higher io score and because of this total score bigger with no oc but with lag-fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SCRIPT] No-lag solution to CM7/9 "low memory" notifications (STEP BY STEP,FIXED TB)

23/01/12 - Now with Titanium Backup support!
    The Titanium Backup team is awesome. I contacted them and within 3 days they had a working fix. To make sure that titanium backup works properly all you need to do is download the latest version from the market, go into 'preferences' and select 'follow all symbolic links' in the 'Troubleshooting' section at the bottom. That's it. Now you'll be able to backup normally and then restore your apps in any other rom. Neat!

Okay, I've found a rather excellent solution to the low storage problem that plagues the CM7 and CM9 roms - without causing the lagginess of the ".nodatadata" approach. It's not my work but was posted by drefnel on the Cyanogenmod forum. It's very smart: instead of moving the whole of /datadata (fast yaffs2) to /data (slower ext4) and so introducing lag it keeps most apps' non-performance critical data on /data and moves performance critical sqlite databases and xml preference files to the fast /datadata.

Installing this fix is a two step process:
    • Phase 1 - some prep, takes around 10 minutes to complete. Only has to be done once.
    • Phase 2 - running the script whenever you've installed new apps and used them once or twice. this just involves hitting a shortcut on your home screen. boom!

The original guide can be found here we need to make a few alterations and I've done a step-by-step below:

Step by step guide

• I take no responsibility if using these instructions messes up your phone. They worked for me and you should always be able to restore using the clockworkmod backup. But you can't say you haven't been warned.
    • Make sure you're running CM7 or TeamHacksung's CM9 or Onecosmic ICS.
    • This will NOT work on encrypted phones.
    • DO A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE YOU BEGIN.

Phase 1 - (if you've already used the ".nodatadata" method then start at step 4)

1. Download Terminal Emulator

2. Open terminal emulator and then enter each of the following followed by return:

• su
    • touch /datadata/.nodatadata

3. Reboot (this might take a while as the OS will be making changes to your filesystem).

4. Open terminal emulator and then enter each of the following followed by return:

• su
    • rm /data/data/.nodatadata

5. Reboot into recovery, go to "mounts & storage" and then select "format datadata". Reboot normally.

6. Go to the market and download GScript Lite. Open it and close it again - this should create a folder called "gscript" in your sdcard. Unzip the file attached in this post and place the script in it in that folder.

7. Open up GScript Lite, press menu and add script. Click load file, select the script file, make sure that "needs SU" is selected and click save.

8. Run the script by tapping it. You should see GScript report its progress and finally the script should finish. Press close and gscript will crash out (can't have it all :D ).

Phase 2

Add a shortcut to this script on your desktop.

• CM7 - long-press and hold a blank area of your home screen, select 'add shortcut', and then select 'gscript lite'. select the script you've just added.
    • CM9 - go into your app drawer, select the 'widgets' tab, find 'gscript lite', press and hold it and move it onto your home screen. select the script you've just added.

You should use the shortcut after you've installed new apps and used them a few times. There's no harm in not using the script for a while, all that will happen is that app may become a bit laggy until you use the script to move its data to /datadata.

That's it. Congratualtions!

You can flash new CM roms and the script will carry on working fine, but if you wipe data in recovery then you'll have to start from the beginning

You won't be able to easily go back to the original configuration or use the ".nodatadata" method (you'll need to Titanium Backup, wipe everything and then restore), but you'll never miss them.

Good luck

I hope this helps people out. We should find a way of better automating the steps to make it more noob friendly and maybe Team Hacksung and One Cosmic could incorporate it into their ROMs. (Essentially the script needs to be run periodically to make sure that the performance critical /data/data elements of new apps are copied across to /datadata - apart from that it's not too different from the ".nodatadata" approach).
    Yup I've tried both and the script approach is definitely much quicker in my case. I'm going to see if I can simplify this procedure somewhat.
    Seems to me that the biggest problem with /datadata are the per-app cache's of webviewCacheChromium class data.

This is an Android supplied method to provide a WebView, i.e. it's how apps can easily display some web content. So often used e.g. for changelogs, help pages, and anything else the app wants to display from the web without firing up a full browser.

By default, this seems to cache about 5.6MB per app that uses it. So it doesn't take too many of those to stuff up the 170MB /datadata partition, even without the other cache uses (e.g. database dirs) etc.

The app can clear the cache itself, but it seems that many do not do this, at least in my experience.

Settings - Apps - - Clear Cache *does* clear it fortunately, so you can try that, and then as long as the app doesn't do it again, you might keep the space thus recovered. e.g. if it's only used by the app occasionally... worth keeping an eye on, at least.

Edit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23485715

I've also got the impression that moving apps to SD doesn't *always* move their associated data/cache from /datadata. I need to re-test this a bit...

I've tried everything that you've said but it still didn't work.. I still got the same error.. i tried both but nothing worked.. :(

Than how about:
    rm -rf /datadata/lost+found
    rm -f /datadata/*
    And proceed?

Edit: do the format trick, more easy (why didn't I come up with that :))
    Taptalked u see