[Q] Forcibly preventing app kill

Search This thread

ryadztu

Apr 4, 2011
ryadztu.co.cc
Need a way to prevent an app of choice from being killed when low on memory without recompiling the app, adding a notification, or any of that horsecrap. If absolutely necessary I can rewrite a chunk of the ROM.

ryadztu

Apr 4, 2011
ryadztu.co.cc
It still amazes me that Froyo has this many oversights / poor choices, especially with regard to user control over button actions and internal workings.

ryadztu

Apr 4, 2011
ryadztu.co.cc
it's for my custom lockscreen which uses a replacement home, I want to keep the default home launcher in memory but froyo has no user-customizable memory management options.

ryadztu

Apr 4, 2011
ryadztu.co.cc
calvin-hobbes-bump.JPG

-bump-

Edited:

I ended up using a service to poll for processes that are in the foreground which is a much-much-much better solution than a home replacement, as well as being able to control apps on the lock screen (several allow use of the web browser, which is even more of a security issue).

I still need to know how to do this for something else though.

Last edited:

euphoria47

Oct 8, 2008
Ottawa
so I found this

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lim.android.automemman

LauncherPro doesn't show up in the list, but it's a nice replacement for my current one (used exclusively for development purposes)

Hows this app working? Im looking to find something to prevent unwarranted killing of certain apps: various games and my browser (not all together or anything), which given that I get sidetracked a lot, I don't like to return to just to find that its all been shut down. My SGS2 has a gig of ram, many of the tasks that use less than 100mb are killed while im talking on the phone for a while doing nothing else with little or nothing open. Email and other little syncing things cannot consume all of this phones resources, to the point one fairly medium-sized task must be euthanized!

Searching has yielded very little, most people are looking for the opposite: some crazy task-killer app to kill, kill, double-kill, killing-spree, RAMPAGE! lol! Some things were goot about winmo 6.x, for example a quick:

HKCU/software/HTC/taskmanager/enableautokill = "0"

is the winmo equivalent to the answer, IF ram isn't tightly budgeted already. I had apps running for DAYS on my HTC Raphael with that setting

ryadztu

Apr 4, 2011
ryadztu.co.cc
I'm testing it again

-Setting the killing spree threshold to 0 for all the sliders seems to help a _lot_.
-Setting the process's priority / using "Always keep alive" is only temporary and doesn't affect anything on my device
-This app is really useful

mredmond2012

Oct 14, 2011
Oklahoma
www.flickr.com
I feel like I'm trying to entertain myself.

hahaha....wow....I'm overwhelmed by the complete lack of response to this, even after all your bumps :p

I came across this thread while trying to figure out the same thing myself. But as euphoria47 said, all the searches are cluttered with how to kill apps, not how to prevent them from being killed....I can't seem to find the "magical" keywords to find a legitimate answer to this question.

How did that app you linked to work for you? I'm trying to force one app to stay in memory (QuickDesk), but can't figure out how...