[Q] Wiped Kindle No OS

Search This thread
Apr 6, 2014
So I've been scouring threads for the past 2 days or so, and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a first gen Kindle Fire that I got from my cousin's Fiancee. It had CM 10.2 on it (flashed with TWRP) and when it was going to be flashed back to stock, it was fully wiped. Both caches, system, sdcard, the whole shebang. I installed the Android SDK Tools with the Google USB Drivers and everything, but my problem is the computer won't recognize the device. When I turn it on, it flashes for maybe half a second in the Device Manager and then disappears. TWRP is still on the device, but I can't get the computer to recognize and keep it active long enough for me to even push a ROM to it with ADB. I've tried mounting it with TWRP and nothing happened. I followed the jayceooi dot com guide on how to install the ADB USB Driver before and managed to click fast enough to get the Hardware ID before it disappeared from the Device Manager, and I got a completed message saying that it installed the drivers, but the device still disappears. I've also tried SoupKit and couldn't get anywhere with that either. So let's see:

• Fully wiped Kindle Fire with no OS
  • TWRP still on device
  • Computer won't recognize device for more than a second
  • Mounting the Kindle via USB in the Mount section of TWRP doesn't do anything
  • Installed ADB USB Driver with correct Hardware ID
  • Ran Ubuntu LiveUSB to try SoupKit, Kindle doesn't show up still through ADB or fastboot.

I'm not sure what to do now. All of the threads I've found so far people have fixed it by Mounting or something like that, but I'm kind of stuck here. Any help would be appreciated. A step by step on some things to try would be huge.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Which TWRP version? TWRP 2.6.3.1 or likely TWRP 2.5.0
Which windows version 7, xp...

boot twrp> connect usb

In TWRP 2.6.3.1
Mount>check sd card>click mount USB storage

Then check drivers
start>control panel>hardware sound>devive manager>
if you see Kindle divers wrong
should see
Android phone> click on it>
Android Composite ADB Interface> properties>driver Tab

on my Win 7 pc it looks like this
kindletwrpdriverswin7_zps7cbdbcf0.png

Apr 6, 2014
Which TWRP version? TWRP 2.6.3.1 or likely TWRP 2.5.0
Which windows version 7, xp...
TWRP 2.6.3.1 and Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit.

I booted into TWRP and plugged in the USB, checked sdcard and mounted, and nothing. If I let the Kindle try to boot normally, it gets the the blue and white Kindle Fire screen and freezes at Booting... and it shows up in the Device Manager then, but only for a second, and then it goes away. I got a quick screenshot you can see here:

You can see a screenshot at i dot imgur dot com / 5X8Qheu dot png

I didn't have the ADB Interface entry at the top, it just had an entry that said "Android" with "Android ADB Interface" nested in it. Yours says composite, mine didn't. But if you look at the screenshot, you can see that it's not listed in the Device Manager. When I checked the driver details it all showed the same as yours. If I boot into TWRP I can't get anything to work in the Mount section. I've tried checking all of the boxes and checking only one individually, etc, and it doesn't make a difference. It did the same thing when I tried SoupKit, it would be available as a device for one second and then it would go offline again.

I'm out of ideas, and I'm guessing I'll need to get a fastboot cable.

Apr 6, 2014
tried kindle fire utility?

Sent from my Amazon Otter using Tapatalk

Yeah, it can't do anything because it says the Kindle is offline. Any time I try to do something like adb devices or fastboot devices nothing shows up. It doesn't make sense to me since it shows up for a second and then disappears. It's only enough time to execute maybe one command, and it's not long enough to push a whole ROM.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
your image
5X8Qheu.png

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Yeah, it can't do anything because it says the Kindle is offline. Any time I try to do something like adb devices or fastboot devices nothing shows up. It doesn't make sense to me since it shows up for a second and then disappears. It's only enough time to execute maybe one command, and it's not long enough to push a whole ROM.
you have selected reboot to bootloader in twrp and pc did same thing?

Apr 6, 2014
you have selected reboot to bootloader in twrp and pc did same thing?
I just tried that it stays now. ADB still shows no devices but fastboot devices shows
0123456789ABCDEF fastboot

Can you push files to the sdcard with fastboot?

Edit: I was told to flash the recovery with recovery.img from the stock ROM, I did that and now I can't boot into TWRP. It shows the white and blue splash screen and if I choose Recovery for boot it goes to the white and orange splash screen and freezes. I don't know what to do from here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Okay, I flashed that image and booted into it to make sure it was all good. It was, so I rebooted into the bootloader and I'm waiting. I have the stock ROM renamed to update.zip but I don't know how to get it to the Kindle.
what I did
in Twrp 2.2.2.1>mount>mount system>mount usb storage
on pc> format kindle>copy update.zip to kindle
in twrp>unmount system>TWRP main menu>install>update zip (it was in sd card)
wipe data/cache>reboot
I didn't wipe data and got a
"kindle has detected a problem and must clear apps...."
press power button
got an automated data wipe
auto reboot
Kindle booted in stock after a couple of mins
good luck

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

don't need to format if pc can copy files
if you can't mount system, try the rest cache, data, sd card

Apr 6, 2014
You say format Kindle. I unchecked everything but System when I mounted it, and it showed up as a Removable Disk. What do you mean by format Kindle? Right click > Format?

Apr 6, 2014
yes only if windows can't open it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sorry my internet went out for a bit. I got everything transferred and the install is going, but it's been kind of stuck at the last little bit for a while. How long should the install take? There's about a pinkie nail's width left on the progress bar in the Installing update section. Been there about 15 minutes.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Size looked good, didn't check md5 since I don't know the what the hash is for the stock firmware.
two ways to check
download twice, and compare
or see my mirrors
update-kindle-6.3.2_D01E_4110520.bin http://d-h.st/qlg
and
update-kindle-6.2.2_D01E_3205220.bin http://d-h.st/e9X
download rename update.zip
md5 checksums on download page
see my Verify that your downloads are complete with MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

It's still stuck there, what should I do?
is there a cancel option?

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

if not may need to force a power down, and start over

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay. Got my fastboot cable today and I'm back up and running. Flashed TWRP with fastboot, flashed FFF with KFU and redid the update. Turns out it failed before because I had the newest version of TWRP and not the one I needed, which I learned from one of your older posts in this thread. I'm back up and running stock again and everything looks good. Thanks for the help.