Flash playback on TF vs Tab 10.1

Search This thread

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
I have both TF and the Tab 10.1 right now and contemplating returning one. I liked both the tablets, but one little issue I dont like about the TF is flash playback. Flash playback even in 720p, is ultra smooth on the 10.1, while its choppy at best on the TF. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Anyone running custom ROMs able to fix this? Would getting the browser apk from the Tab 10.1 fix this issue on thr TF?

matty1323

May 26, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Is your TF on 3.1 or the stock 3.0? I had some really bad lag and skipping with my TF when I was on the stock 3.0. I manually installed the 3.1 update from a link on the XDA forum. Was easy and went smoothly. Ever since, my flash playback via youtube has been butter on HD.

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
Is your TF on 3.1 or the stock 3.0? I had some really bad lag and skipping with my TF when I was on the stock 3.0. I manually installed the 3.1 update from a link on the XDA forum. Was easy and went smoothly. Ever since, my flash playback via youtube has been butter on HD.

Yea I'm on 3.1, installed from XDA. The flash playback is bad for me.

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
this is a known issue, go to .. http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

Scroll down and hit show test video.. URL see the fps, change it to 720p on my tf it gets 9-10 ,where is the xookm gets 30+ on all videos , and I'm on 3.1

Seems like hardware acceleration isn't working with tf...
What does 10.1 get

10.1 gets 30-35 fps for me, while the TF gets what you reported.

Just wondering, can any devs turn on Hardware accerelation in their ROM's ?

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
no idea.. its really annoying though as this is what I really looked forward to in 3.1..

Digiguest

Dec 26, 2010
Ontario
ENOUGH OF THE VS THREADS ALREADY!

Either you like it or not. Just make up your mind by yourself....because that is ALL that is gonna use it....YOU.

SO asking others will not help YOU out.

Sorry for the outburst but these VS threads are getting out of hand and are just going to start a flame war. They should NOT be allowed.

Reactions: Srikar_NBK

rilot

Sep 10, 2005

Either you like it or not. Just make up your mind by yourself....because that is ALL that is gonna use it....YOU.

Sorry for the outburst but these VS threads are getting out of hand and are just going to start a flame war. They should NOT be allowed.

This is a valid issue though and I for one and interested in other users' experiences. I was unaware that flash runs better on the other HC tablets and had put it down to being just a HC + Flash issue.

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010

There was no intention of flame. The question was asked, to find out what different in the TF, having the same hardware n the OS as the Tab 10.1. I'm not asking others to take my decision, I'm only asking others to help me resolve an issue, which I feel is important in my decision making. Stop jumping onto obnoxious conclusions.

Last edited:

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
There is no fix for this problem. Only Asus can provide a solution. And i hope they doing it asap.

vista1984

Apr 1, 2010
NYC
I have both TF and the Tab 10.1 right now and contemplating returning one. I liked both the tablets, but one little issue I dont like about the TF is flash playback. Flash playback even in 720p, is ultra smooth on the 10.1, while its choppy at best on the TF. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Anyone running custom ROMs able to fix this? Would getting the browser apk from the Tab 10.1 fix this issue on thr TF?

yes, i am reakkt disappoint about the flash performance..though i love my transformer.

hope it will be solved soon, like the youtube app playback issue

keroppilee

Apr 29, 2011
I agree that the weak threads about nonsense details between tablets and which is better are useless. This thread, however, is clearly asking an important question. Why are tablets that essentially use the same hardware and same software performing differently?

D

dorino1

I have had no issues with flash playback being "choppy". I would use the speed test, but my tab is in Texas right now. Haha.

Anyway, this is definately a software issue and you can expect a fix either on XDA or courtesy of Asus. It's not something that will always be a problem and shouldn't be a deciding factor, imo.

Afterall, can't you root and install a custom ROM to alleviate the problem?

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
Afterall, can't you root and install a custom ROM to alleviate the problem?

That was a part of my question too. This is one of the deciding factor for me right now, bcoz I spend lot of time on Youtube and I have major buffering issues using the youtube app on both tabs, which strangely is not there when using flash :D

dasgh

Jan 28, 2011
Mine is rooted running Prime 1.4, latest clem kernel, OC'd to 1.6ghz and it still is only getting 9-10. Tried in stock browser as well as Dolphin HD. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is... Not sure if it helps anyone but for some relative numbers, the quadrant score is 4000+.

So, it seems to not be a processing power bottleneck but some other factor.

D

dorino1

Mine is rooted running Prime 1.4, latest clem kernel, OC'd to 1.6ghz and it still is only getting 9-10. Tried in stock browser as well as Dolphin HD. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is... Not sure if it helps anyone but for some relative numbers, the quadrant score is 4000+.

So, it seems to not be a processing power bottleneck but some other factor.

Of course it isn't the processing power. When he's saying other tablets with identical clock speeds and identical processors perform better, that's a given! lol

I'd get an advanced task manager-type app and go through disabling features and turning off background programs until the problem is resolved. Troubleshoot it.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
It's not a processing problem as that test video clearly shows that the transformer is using software decoding rather than the hardware decoding it should be using.

It's either an issue of missing libs on the transformer or Flash falling back to software decoding when it shouldn't be. I'll steal a copy of the flash system libs from the tab and install them in the transformer to see if that fixes the issue.

sassafras

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
Just ran the test, and I'm getting the same poor results. And, I'm not sure if it's relevant (might not be saying what I'm thinking it is), but the test video also indicates software decoding. Not sure if this should say hardware decoding, but it sure seems like it would make sense.

This does seem like an issue if other Honeycomb 3.1/Tegra 2 tablets are performing better here and/or using hardware decoding. Makes one wonder where else there might be issues.

Asus, if you're checking these threads out, looks like something you should be fixing.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

this is a known issue, go to .. http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

Scroll down and hit show test video.. URL see the fps, change it to 720p on my tf it gets 9-10 ,where is the xookm gets 30+ on all videos , and I'm on 3.1

Seems like hardware acceleration isn't working with tf...
    What does 10.1 get

There was no intention of flame. The question was asked, to find out what different in the TF, having the same hardware n the OS as the Tab 10.1. I'm not asking others to take my decision, I'm only asking others to help me resolve an issue, which I feel is important in my decision making. Stop jumping onto obnoxious conclusions.
    So maybe we need to start barking at adobe and not just asus.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

I've filed a bug report with Adobe and it is currently under review by their guy in charge of dealing with Android Flash Player bugs.

sassafras
    Flash video playback on the Transformer is not being accelerated, end of story. If playback seems ok on some 720p source then it is just that: a perception. The human eye isnt really capable of discerning frame rates much above 20-25 fps on average so if the software is getting close to that ( for some people 15 might even be enough) they might perceive to be ok but it is still NOT working correctly.

The only solution right now is to watch videos in HTML5 or in the native YouTube app.

I have filed an official bug report with both Adobe and Asus and we'll hopefully get some feedback on this soon.

sassafras