USB OTG Apps Recommendations?

Search This thread

Acreo Aeneas

Mar 17, 2012
I've noticed that the OTA 4.4.2 update breaks native OTG forcing me to use a file manager app that supports OTG from the Play Store. With that said, does anyone have any recommendations for good file managers with USB OTG support? Preferrably paid with no adds, otherwise paid, but not too expensive (under <$5).

Also does anyone know if File Explorer (fx) supports USB OTG? I've been a long time user but I can't find anything in their documentation that mentions USB OTG support.

Last edited:

helppme

Apr 20, 2011
I've noticed that the OTA 4.4.2 update breaks native OTG forcing me to use a file manager app that supports OTG from the Play Store. With that said, does anyone have any recommendations for good file managers with USB OTG support? Preferrably paid with no adds, otherwise paid, but not too expensive (under <$5).

Also does anyone know if File Explorer (fx) supports USB OTG? I've been a long time user but I can't find anything in their documentation that mentions USB OTG support.

Im pretty sure ES file explorer does and there is a free version. I will test it when I get home.

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
I thought maybe Nexus Media Importer would do it, I couldn't figure out how to copy entire directories from my /SD Card folder to the USB drive though :/

ES File Explorer (under KK) doesn't show the USB Drive like it used to under JB (Storage USB 1.1.1) which is a shame so I too wouldn't mind knowing a file explorer app that works (and allows write to the usb drive without rooting)

Kinda pissed Google broke USB OTG for KK, have you ever seen how slow Airdroid is at transferring big files over wi-fi...

Last edited:
Reactions: helppme

Descendent182

Oct 27, 2013
I thought maybe Nexus Media Importer would do it, I couldn't figure out how to copy entire directories from my /SD Card folder to the USB drive though :/

ES File Explorer (under KK) doesn't show the USB Drive like it used to under JB (Storage USB 1.1.1) which is a shame so I too wouldn't mind knowing a file explorer app that works (and allows write to the usb drive without rooting)

Kinda pissed Google broke USB OTG for KK, have you ever seen how slow Airdroid is at transferring big files over wi-fi...

use stickmount to mount the memory and then use es file manager to acces the files

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Looks like it needs root, is there a non root solution?

Sent from my Moto G using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Acreo Aeneas

Mar 17, 2012
Looks like it needs root, is there a non root solution?

Sent from my Moto G using XDA premium 4 mobile app

I would like to know if a non-root solution is possible.

If I have to root it, is there a guide somewhere to know I can root my Moto G? I have the US GSM model (XT1034), 16 GBs, and it has the OTA 4.4.2 applied.

CANADOS

Jan 16, 2014
Vancouver
On Google+ someone suggested I use Total Commander with the USB plug in (both available from Google Play, and this does work, although the UI is like something from 1990

This solution doesn't need root, give it a go and see if it fits your needs.
That's true, I can confirm it works but in READ ONLY mode.
To write smth to USB Flash Stick / microSD connected via OTG you still need root.
PS
Read only is more than enough to cover my needs cause you still can copy files/folders from memory stick to internal memory.

helppme

Apr 20, 2011

Yep Techguyone is bang on the money. Tested file explorer and various other usb apps and I can confirm that what worked in JB no longer works. Is this something to do with ART?

I can't understand why they would hobble this feature..... Could it be security related? I remember reading about the 'Fraud docks'. Where people would use a mobile charging hotspot and when they plug their android or iphone in it steals their data.....

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
It's not ART related, google are just gradually locking down their phones more and more which is to be honest, starting to get annoying. It's ridiculous to need root just to be able for example: to turn on/off GPS or Airplane mode. It's getting stupid now. Google are you listening?

helppme

Apr 20, 2011

It's not ART related, google are just gradually locking down their phones more and more which is to be honest, starting to get annoying. It's ridiculous to need root just to be able for example: to turn on/off GPS or Airplane mode. It's getting stupid now. Google are you listening?

If its not security related, then it is probably more of a 'differential pricing' issue. Moto G has been too successful and is probably canablising sales from the Moto X and Nexus 5 more than expected, so they rush out 4.4.2 and lock up USB OTG and other features on the budget handset......

Clivectmob

Apr 23, 2006
Use Nexus Media Importer, I was using it before the KK update and have continued to use it since getting KitKat. It works for reading and writing both ways without root. I have never rooted either of my G's. This is a fact not a guess as I actually use it.

And, you can copy entire directories both ways too. (edit)

Reactions: FelipeBHZ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

On Google+ someone suggested I use Total Commander with the USB plug in (both available from Google Play, and this does work, although the UI is like something from 1990

This solution doesn't need root, give it a go and see if it fits your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hechler.tcplugins.usbstick
    Use Nexus Media Importer, I was using it before the KK update and have continued to use it since getting KitKat. It works for reading and writing both ways without root. I have never rooted either of my G's. This is a fact not a guess as I actually use it.

And, you can copy entire directories both ways too. (edit)