Water damaged phone stuck in a boot loop? Don't give up just yet...

Search This thread

de4life

Jan 27, 2014
Ipswich
I thought I'd share my experience with this, as I've seen posts in the past relating to a water damaged phone boot looping and I don't think I've seen a proper solution given.

First thing's first, this advice is in relation to a very specific type of boot looping. Nothing to do with rooting, or software bugs. This is boot looping that has come about as a result of water damage. It may not have been long, maybe a couple of seconds in the toilet or some brief rain exposure. Whatever it is, you know your phone has been exposed to some water and it has begun boot looping. There will be no way to get out of it, as the phone boots for 2/3 seconds max before looping all over again. Even when you go into recovery, same thing, automatically boot loops.

Most people, including the official HTC Service Centre, will tell you the motherboard is fried and needs replacement. Whilst it is possible that may be true, it isn't guaranteed. It's an easy way out for HTC, as they can charge you an extortionate price for a new motherboard and not have to bother going through the work of taking the phone apart to find out what is wrong.

The solution may be much simpler - the Power Flex Cable. This is a very small cable that goes along the top of your phone. WHen water damaged, this cable can become damaged, causing a constant boot loop. The reason being it constantly tells the phone the power button is on, causing a constant on/off cycle. In this instance the motherboard is fine and you can get a replacement Flex Cable for less than £5!

There is an easy way to tell whether the Flex Cable is the likely cause of your looping. When the phone is looping, hold down the down volume button only. Don't touch the power button. If your phone still goes into recovery (then loops again) then it is entirely possible your Flex Cable is damaged, not your motherboard.

Next step, order a Flex Cable (they are easy to find). When it arrives, you will need to open your phone (there are guides on YouTube for this), detach the motherboard and replace the Flex Cable. An advance warning, this isn't easy and you have to be extremely careful. One bad move and your phone is history. The motherboard is delicate. If you look around the internet you will find guides which show how the HTC One X is configured. Note that the Flex Cable is behind the motherboard and quite awkward to get off. I would post a couple of links but as a new member I'm not allowed! PM me and I'm happy to share some helpful links though.

You'll know quickly if this has worked. When connecting your phone it will no longer loop. Let it charge for a little while, then power on and hope for the best. If the Flex Cable was the problem your phone will reboot, and you will be able to use it and get your data off.

Note that water damage can have long lasting effects on a mobile phone. Whilst this may solve the problem for a while, it's entirely possible your phone will fail at some point down the line. Prepare for that and make sure you back up accordingly. The above advice may give you a lifeline in getting data off your phone, though, and being able to use it for a little longer. I know that when I was looking around the net I only found this advice by chance, and I think it was on a non-phone related forum. This advice may exist on the forum somewhere but if so it isn't so easy to find. I hope somebody may come across this topic when trying to fix their water damaged phone and find it is the solution.

Good luck!

androidnoob116

Feb 11, 2014
Same symptoms, but no water damage

Hey man,

Thanks a ton for your post. I have the same issue, as in it won't stop booting at all. However, mine didn't happen because of water damage, but when I tried to do a factory reset (the phone was only on 5% charge so I'm not sure if that screwed it up). Do you think it could still be solved with a flex cable? I tried holding just the volume button down, and it does go into the bootloader so it seems pretty much exactly like what you have described!

Cheers

de4life

Jan 27, 2014
Ipswich
My only experience with replacing the flex cable comes from water damage, I'm not sure whether a software fault (as this appears to be) could have any effect on the cable itself!

When you get into the bootloader screen, does it just cycle all the way through to fastboot without allowing you to select any other options before rebooting? If so it would suggest your phone thinks the power button is constantly pushed down, which is suggestive of a power flex cable fault.

These cables are very cheap to buy, so if you aren't able to do anything else with the phone it's definitely worth a shot, even if it doesn't work. Just remember that opening the phone voids your warranty, and be careful if you do attempt it, as the insides of the One X are quite delicate. It would be very easy to break something!

Kahun

Sep 25, 2013
Ipswich
My only experience with replacing the flex cable comes from water damage, I'm not sure whether a software fault (as this appears to be) could have any effect on the cable itself!

When you get into the bootloader screen, does it just cycle all the way through to fastboot without allowing you to select any other options before rebooting? If so it would suggest your phone thinks the power button is constantly pushed down, which is suggestive of a power flex cable fault.

These cables are very cheap to buy, so if you aren't able to do anything else with the phone it's definitely worth a shot, even if it doesn't work. Just remember that opening the phone voids your warranty, and be careful if you do attempt it, as the insides of the One X are quite delicate. It would be very easy to break something!

I had to replace my power flex cable when I was changing my battery as I accidentally snapped it.

chemistrylab

May 3, 2014
I thought I'd share my experience with this, as I've seen posts in the past relating to a water damaged phone boot looping and I don't think I've seen a proper solution given.

First thing's first, this advice is in relation to a very specific type of boot looping. Nothing to do with rooting, or software bugs. This is boot looping that has come about as a result of water damage. It may not have been long, maybe a couple of seconds in the toilet or some brief rain exposure. Whatever it is, you know your phone has been exposed to some water and it has begun boot looping. There will be no way to get out of it, as the phone boots for 2/3 seconds max before looping all over again. Even when you go into recovery, same thing, automatically boot loops.

Most people, including the official HTC Service Centre, will tell you the motherboard is fried and needs replacement. Whilst it is possible that may be true, it isn't guaranteed. It's an easy way out for HTC, as they can charge you an extortionate price for a new motherboard and not have to bother going through the work of taking the phone apart to find out what is wrong.

The solution may be much simpler - the Power Flex Cable. This is a very small cable that goes along the top of your phone. WHen water damaged, this cable can become damaged, causing a constant boot loop. The reason being it constantly tells the phone the power button is on, causing a constant on/off cycle. In this instance the motherboard is fine and you can get a replacement Flex Cable for less than £5!

There is an easy way to tell whether the Flex Cable is the likely cause of your looping. When the phone is looping, hold down the down volume button only. Don't touch the power button. If your phone still goes into recovery (then loops again) then it is entirely possible your Flex Cable is damaged, not your motherboard.

Next step, order a Flex Cable (they are easy to find). When it arrives, you will need to open your phone (there are guides on YouTube for this), detach the motherboard and replace the Flex Cable. An advance warning, this isn't easy and you have to be extremely careful. One bad move and your phone is history. The motherboard is delicate. If you look around the internet you will find guides which show how the HTC One X is configured. Note that the Flex Cable is behind the motherboard and quite awkward to get off. I would post a couple of links but as a new member I'm not allowed! PM me and I'm happy to share some helpful links though.

You'll know quickly if this has worked. When connecting your phone it will no longer loop. Let it charge for a little while, then power on and hope for the best. If the Flex Cable was the problem your phone will reboot, and you will be able to use it and get your data off.

Note that water damage can have long lasting effects on a mobile phone. Whilst this may solve the problem for a while, it's entirely possible your phone will fail at some point down the line. Prepare for that and make sure you back up accordingly. The above advice may give you a lifeline in getting data off your phone, though, and being able to use it for a little longer. I know that when I was looking around the net I only found this advice by chance, and I think it was on a non-phone related forum. This advice may exist on the forum somewhere but if so it isn't so easy to find. I hope somebody may come across this topic when trying to fix their water damaged phone and find it is the solution.

Good luck!
Thanks. I've already taken the back off and noticed some broken bits of plastic...from the back....but I did notice a bit of ribbon that looked a bit screwed up....I'm gonna take it to the gizmo wizard to fix once I buy a new power flex cable.
:)

Swell6

Aug 27, 2012
Shoreham-by-Sea
Another thing to try

Old thread I know but thought it was worth adding that with a water damaged phone the issues can result from the fact that tap water contains minerals which can leave a conductive residue when it dries - can change resistances, cause shorts etc. What I've done previously is used isopropyl alcohol (tape head cleaning fluid) with a toothbrush on the motherboard. Brought a phone back to life. This removes the mineral deposits and cleans everything. Had to remove the metal covers from the mobo first though. If a phone is basically dead or not working right after water damage then it's worth a go. As de4life says, just need to be super careful on the HOX with all the delicate ribbon cables.

de4life

Jan 27, 2014
Ipswich
Indeed, the phone should be thoroughly clensed if possible to wipe out any corrosive liquids left behind from the water (especially if it's dropped in an ocean). The effects of corrosion can be very slow and potentially last for months.

Hiaham

Sep 26, 2015
M8 please reply to this all the flex cables that I found are 40$+ can you give me a link for one as you stated that would cost 5 pounds

Vihrenkasabov

Aug 1, 2016
It worked

It worked! I replaced the power flex cable with a spare one on my HTC One X, previously damaged by being sucked by my one year old son - water damage.! It worked!

lazinase

Thank you!

Good luck!

Thank you very much for typing this out! My Google Pixel OG (2016), which was made by HTC, experienced the exact same problem. I have just fixed it by replacing the power flex cable like you suggested.

de4life

Jan 27, 2014
Ipswich
Thank you very much for typing this out! My Google Pixel OG (2016), which was made by HTC, experienced the exact same problem. I have just fixed it by replacing the power flex cable like you suggested.

I was surprised to get a notification for this old thread! I'm glad this worked for you. I had no idea HTC used the same design for the original Pixel.

K92977

Mar 22, 2024
OH MY GOSH!
my mom's old galaxy note 3 was accidentally spilled with drinking water. My dumb self tried to turn it on and welp it boot loops. Not at the Samsung logo, but at the Galaxy note 3 logo. I was so disappointed knowing that I JUST wanted to back up all the photos there today. I then stumbled to this comment. Tried to keep myself calm that I didn't fry anything inside, I tuck the phone on some rice and waited for around a week or less. it turns on! hahaha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!