Poor FM reception

Search This thread

soraxx

Jun 29, 2011
Hi, I've heard some G2 users complaining about poor FM radio reception compared with their old smartphones.
What do you think about?

It will be interesting if someone do the comparison with two phones tuned to same station and Spirit FM running on them and post his signal (dBm)

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
Hi, I've heard some G2 users complaining about poor FM radio reception compared with their old smartphones.
What do you think about?

It will be interesting if someone do the comparison with two phones tuned to same station and Spirit FM running on them and post his signal (dBm)

Heard where? Not seen anything about it... source would be useful for balance. Please provide link(s).

There is no RSSI/dBm display on the Stock FM Radio app... so Spirit is the only method of approximately gauging RF signal strength. And the Spirit RSSI figure varies between phones IIRC.

On what phone and firmware? On the d802, 10A/B's FM radio performance was abysmal but 10E, 10F and 20B/C are very good. I use FM OTA radio EVERY day, and the RF and audio quality are vital for me. The G2 (on later firmware) is excellent.

Spirit on AOSP/CM is not great due to using an old open-source Broadcom driver, but is ok on Stock as it uses the Broadcom OEM driver.

For info, the older HTC Desire earphones are the best for reception.
In best to worst order, my recent experience of FM radio quality is:

Sony Z, Sony ZL, (Qualcomm FM chip), LG G2, (Broadcom FM chip), GS3, GS2 (Silabs FM chip).

Worst are HTC ONE, ONE S - by a long chalk.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: soraxx

PAGOT

Dec 24, 2007
Had HTC one X before. Would say FM signal is not worse. At work still need to be next to the window :). Maybe even little better. But where are the ppl complaining? Also make a poll

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

PAGOT

Dec 24, 2007
fm radio?? this thing has a radio?!

Sent from my xposed VZW G2, using unlimited data :)

Yup. Maybe your version doesn't?
etu3ytur.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What do you think about?

Heard where? Not seen anything about it... source would be useful for balance. Please provide link(s).

There is no RSSI/dBm display on the Stock FM Radio app... so Spirit is the only method of approximately gauging RF signal strength. And the Spirit RSSI figure varies between phones IIRC.

On what phone and firmware? On the d802, 10A/B's FM radio performance was abysmal but 10E, 10F and 20B/C are very good. I use FM OTA radio EVERY day, and the RF and audio quality are vital for me. The G2 (on later firmware) is excellent.

Spirit on AOSP/CM is not great due to using an old open-source Broadcom driver, but is ok on Stock as it uses the Broadcom OEM driver.

For info, the older HTC Desire earphones are the best for reception.
    In best to worst order, my recent experience of FM radio quality is:

Sony Z, Sony ZL, (Qualcomm FM chip), LG G2, (Broadcom FM chip), GS3, GS2 (Silabs FM chip).

Worst are HTC ONE, ONE S - by a long chalk.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app