[Q] Bummed... trying to save data :/

Search This thread

Special~k

Aug 14, 2014
Hello all, new to the forum but a long time reader. You guys have helped me many times in the past, and I am very grateful. This time however, I'm pretty sure I'm SOL.

So, my last droid razr's LCD cracked about 2 weeks ago. The phone was old, as I had purchased it when they first came out. I was running Jelly Bean and wasn't rooted, but had some how kept my free hotspot from my previous ICS root. The battery was on its last leg, and the thing would go in and out of HDMI mode. I would give it a good smack (lol) and it would straighten out. Well.... I smacked it a little too hard one day. LCD cracked under glass, and I couldn't see anything.

I purchased another LCD and did the swap, but now its boot looped and wont come out. When I hold down all the keys and try to boot in recovery, I get the little icon with the droid guy laying down and an exclamation point.

Does this mean I'm totally screwed? I'm you've all heard it a million times... Ive got a ton of data on there (vids and pics) that were stored internally that mean a lot to me. I sure would like to be able to recover this data somehow. Ive read of doing factory resets and all of that, but wouldnt that wipe my pics/vids? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Kenny

***Update: Not sure if this helps, but my battery is done and wouldnt even hold enough charge to power the phone. Just to let you guys know I am running the phone off a variable power supply (3.8 volts) like the battery would. I just decided to plug the factory USB in to my PC and see if I could access the internal memory even though its looping... it installs moto-cast, but wont come up as a storage device so I can access those files. I'm screwed, aren't I...

Last edited:

lalec

Apr 30, 2008
Houston, Texas

Only seeing motocast probably means your drivers are not set up right. I helped my friend fix his xt912 last week and it took 30 minutes to fix his phone not counting the 2 hours+ it took to get the internal storage to show up as mtp or mass storage. Motocast was all I could see before I found the right driver. I can look for the link to the drivers when I get home later if you need it.

Special~k

Aug 14, 2014
Only seeing motocast probably means your drivers are not set up right. I helped my friend fix his xt912 last week and it took 30 minutes to fix his phone not counting the 2 hours+ it took to get the internal storage to show up as mtp or mass storage. Motocast was all I could see before I found the right driver. I can look for the link to the drivers when I get home later if you need it.

THANK you so much for your reply. I'll take any advice I can get! I'd love to hear your procedures and will attempt to load any drivers you believe are necessary.

Special~k

Aug 14, 2014

Didn't forget about me did you?

Can anyone else help? I've got to return this phone so I am not charged again for it :/

lalec

Apr 30, 2008
Houston, Texas
Didn't forget about me did you?

Can anyone else help? I've got to return this phone so I am not charged again for it :/

Was away from forum for most of the past couple of days. This thread has a link to drivers and fastboot tools, etc.

CAUTION WARNING: user below reported that the link at this thread results in viruses: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1539192

I used Motorola Device Manager and it worked for me.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Special~k

Aug 14, 2014
Was away from forum for most of the past couple of days. This thread has a link to drivers and fastboot tools, etc.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1539192

I also used Motorola Device Manager and it worked too.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the stuff from the links and now I my company PC has a ton of viruses on it... the RSD lite program wont run, and has also installed a ton of crap on my PC. Do you have anymore links to a good RSD lite program?

Special~k

Aug 14, 2014

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1539192

I also used Motorola Device Manager and it worked too.

Good luck with it.

Got the stuff downloaded (and still have a few viruses lol), but was able to flash my phone. Its still stuck in boot loop though. Man.... i just need to access the internal memory of this dang thing. my PC recognizes it because motocast comes up.. just cant get past the boot loop.

lalec

Apr 30, 2008
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the stuff from the links and now I my company PC has a ton of viruses on it... the RSD lite program wont run, and has also installed a ton of crap on my PC. Do you have anymore links to a good RSD lite program?

Last time I needed to unbrick a Droid RAZR it was the XT912 and I used the MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe for drivers and I downloaded that directly from Motorola. I also used mattlgroff's utility belt ("batman") tool set and it had RSD_lite included in it.