[Q] Anyone else have trouble restoring from Nandroids?

Search This thread

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
Using TWRP 2.7.0.1 (.1.0?) I made a Nandroid of my stock, rooted setup before trying GPE. I also made a Nandroid using that "Online Nandroid Backup" app (free version Nandroids to SD; pro Nandroids to Dropbox/maybe Google Drive) but it took 45 minutes (!!!) so I did TWRP's as well.

Had some problems with the GPE ROM, so I decided to go back. Both failed to restore. Left me with what I call soft brick (no OS, no backups). Not sure if that jives with y'all's description, but that's what I call it. So I downloaded and flashed CleanROM via USB OTG and it's been sweet ever since... but I'm kinda afraid to try different ROMs since Nandroid seems to not be an option.

Did a metric frak ton of Nandroid on my last two phones (Motorola Photon 4G and Samsung Galaxy S3), both with CWM/PhilZ and TWRP, so I am no stranger to the method or its terminology; however, this is my first HTC phone and I'm finding small differences. Like I never had to touch ADB to root the S3, but I did for the Photon (Torpedo method if anyone wants a trip down memory lane). And both devices were unlocked; I had to unlock (S-Off) the HTC (firewater method). So I know I have a lot to learn as is the case with any new device, but I've been around the block a few times with Motorola and Samsung. Between the two of them, I've had a Nandroid restore fail once and I never found out why. I'm guessing bad backup, but when I do a backup, is there a way to verify that the backup on SD matches what is currently in EMMC, so the backup will be flawless?

Anyway, been wanting to ask this for weeks now, but I'm so happy with CleanROM. I know the GPE and AOSP ROMs are buggy now, but I see the developers here making advancements all the time. The phone's new, I figure you can't expect the non-stock firmware to be bug-free just yet. So I'm not blaming anybody, just enjoying what works for me.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Using TWRP 2.7.0.1 (.1.0?) I made a Nandroid of my stock, rooted setup before trying GPE. I also made a Nandroid using that "Online Nandroid Backup" app (free version Nandroids to SD; pro Nandroids to Dropbox/maybe Google Drive) but it took 45 minutes (!!!) so I did TWRP's as well.

Had some problems with the GPE ROM, so I decided to go back. Both failed to restore. Left me with what I call soft brick (no OS, no backups). Not sure if that jives with y'all's description, but that's what I call it. So I downloaded and flashed CleanROM via USB OTG and it's been sweet ever since... but I'm kinda afraid to try different ROMs since Nandroid seems to not be an option.

Did a metric frak ton of Nandroid on my last two phones (Motorola Photon 4G and Samsung Galaxy S3), both with CWM/PhilZ and TWRP, so I am no stranger to the method or its terminology; however, this is my first HTC phone and I'm finding small differences. Like I never had to touch ADB to root the S3, but I did for the Photon (Torpedo method if anyone wants a trip down memory lane). And both devices were unlocked; I had to unlock (S-Off) the HTC (firewater method). So I know I have a lot to learn as is the case with any new device, but I've been around the block a few times with Motorola and Samsung. Between the two of them, I've had a Nandroid restore fail once and I never found out why. I'm guessing bad backup, but when I do a backup, is there a way to verify that the backup on SD matches what is currently in EMMC, so the backup will be flawless?

Anyway, been wanting to ask this for weeks now, but I'm so happy with CleanROM. I know the GPE and AOSP ROMs are buggy now, but I see the developers here making advancements all the time. The phone's new, I figure you can't expect the non-stock firmware to be bug-free just yet. So I'm not blaming anybody, just enjoying what works for me.
Try an fastboot twrp 2.7.0.2 that one works good maybe it will restore your backup an it should work fine as I seen you got a ROM on there As I had the same issue. An say something happens in twrp you can just get to booloader an simply run the RUU

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thunderbls

Sep 8, 2012
Try an fastboot twrp 2.7.0.2 that one works good maybe it will restore your backup an it should work fine as I seen you got a ROM on there As I had the same issue. An say something happens in twrp you can just get to booloader an simply run the RUU

Yep had to do this when I tried a CM Rom with the whole encryption issue good times. ?