Make any android device run faster and smoother!
Right, I wanted to start this thread for people whose phones are not the best (like my Sony Xperia Tipo). These tips will boost up your phone and you will notice the difference right away! I used to have lag spikes and performance dropping issues on my Tipo, and now they're gone!
WARNING: Some of these steps may include voiding your warranity or bricking your phone. So you are gonna try these by your own risk. I do not take any responsibility if anything happens to it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
1) Your phone must be rooted. If not, google it. In most cases, you can use Unlock Root
tool, which works for most devices. You can get it from here: http://www.unlockroot.com/download.html
2) Some time and patience
1) Download SetCPU
app from the playstore. This app allows you to set maximum / minimum processor state and also overclock your phone (not recommended).
2) Download Advanced Task Killer
from playstore. This app can kill all the apps that are running in the foreground / background.
3) Download a root file explorer / browser also from the playstore. You can use ES File Explorer
, Root Browser
and many more apps. Then navigate to /system/app folder and set permissions to rw, or check every box in the permissions properties (depending on the app). You can now delete any useless system apps that came by default with your phone, such as: Recommender
, or Xperia Gallery
If you are not sure about which apps to delete, skip this step or delete those which you know are useless.
4) Remove any widgets from your homescreen. Widgets are basically little apps running in the background using a big / small amount of RAM (depending on the widget). When you remove then, do a reboot, and then they won't be running anymore.
5) Turn off WiFi / GPS / 3G when you don't need it. Belive it or not, this also slows down your phone. So if you are not using any of them, disable them or enter Airplane Mode
Do these right, and your phone should be now faster. Feel free to ask any questions below!