Wipe data/factory reset from ODIN

Search This thread

teargas666

Mar 23, 2014
I am using Galaxy tab 2.0 10.1" and I am suffering white screen after flashing. Unfortunately when I have tried to flash it once more there is still white screen...

Wysłane z mojego Luna przy użyciu Tapatalka

evilperro

May 9, 2013
will this work on galaxy s3 running stock firmware 4.3? Can't get into recovery mode due to booloop and broken power button.

wangxiao

Sep 14, 2015
Any one know if there is a general tool to use download mode to wipe cache / data partition? I have a homesync and need such a tool as I could not enter recovery mode.

Many thanks,

Jan 13, 2016
A few weeks back, I got tired of not trusting wipe data/factory reset from any ICS-based kernel's recovery so I put together a small ODIN utility to wipe /cache and /data

Here it is if anyone is interested:
SPH-D710.ODIN_WIPE_CACHE_DATA.exe

You just double-click in windows, boot your phone to ODIN DL mode, and press Start.

No need to flash GB-based kernel/recovery just to do wipe data/factory reset then flash back to ICS-based kernel.

To be clear, the purpose is to have a "safe" replacement for wipe data/factory reset (recovery option) until we get the "fixed" kernels. It will wipe /cache and /data only, which is what wipe data/factory reset does. It will NOT wipe /system nor will it wipe your kernel.

In case people are not aware, there is a bug in the EMMC firmware (likely wear-level code) where if you issue an mmc_erase() it may result in a lockup/superbrick(). The reason it doesn't happen in GB is because GB doesn't use mmc_erase(). In ICS they added mmc_erase() into the code path initiated from make_ext4fs(). This is used by wipe data/factory reset in Recovery which is why we sometimes see the lockup/superbrick. Given that the problem is likely in the wear-level EMMC firmware code, it may not get triggered all the time even if mmc_erase() is called, but we are at risk whenever it is called.

As usual, you should be careful when flashing anything. I've been using this for 2 weeks now to test releases and haven't had any issues.

first of all sir, You are Bloody Genius!! lol
second i cant download the file. i see in the comments that noone had any trouble downloading it. it just says file not found. can you upload the file again please. i urgently need this software. can change my life!!

Contradict

Jun 4, 2017
Hi can you give me another link of it? The link above is broken :rolleyes: Thanks in advance :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::good::good:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi can you give me another link of it? The link above is broken :rolleyes: Thanks in advance :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::good::good:

Can someone fix it please?

first of all sir, You are Bloody Genius!! lol
second i cant download the file. i see in the comments that noone had any trouble downloading it. it just says file not found. can you upload the file again please. i urgently need this software. can change my life!!
To all of you, this is no longer supported. The file is no longer available unless someone in the community kept a copy. You'll have to try to find a user that has the S2 E4GT and also saved a copy then get them to upload a copy for you.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Nobody? I need this for a dead phone :(
Learn to use Google effectively, I found this with a simple Google search for "sph d710 wipe data cache.exe"

https://www.download-geek.com/download/sph+d710.odin+wipe+cache+data.exe.html?aff.id=8275

You'll have to sign up for a 3 day trial to download it, make sure to cancel the trial immediately after you get the file downloaded or they'll try to make you pay for continued membership.

If the phone is dead or hard bricked, this won't work. If you can get to download mode, try flashing the full firmware via Odin.

DO NOT CONTACT ME VIA PM TO RECEIVE HELP, YOU WILL BE IGNORED. KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few weeks back, I got tired of not trusting wipe data/factory reset from any ICS-based kernel's recovery so I put together a small ODIN utility to wipe /cache and /data

Here it is if anyone is interested:
    SPH-D710.ODIN_WIPE_CACHE_DATA.exe

You just double-click in windows, boot your phone to ODIN DL mode, and press Start.

No need to flash GB-based kernel/recovery just to do wipe data/factory reset then flash back to ICS-based kernel.

To be clear, the purpose is to have a "safe" replacement for wipe data/factory reset (recovery option) until we get the "fixed" kernels. It will wipe /cache and /data only, which is what wipe data/factory reset does. It will NOT wipe /system nor will it wipe your kernel.

In case people are not aware, there is a bug in the EMMC firmware (likely wear-level code) where if you issue an mmc_erase() it may result in a lockup/superbrick(). The reason it doesn't happen in GB is because GB doesn't use mmc_erase(). In ICS they added mmc_erase() into the code path initiated from make_ext4fs(). This is used by wipe data/factory reset in Recovery which is why we sometimes see the lockup/superbrick. Given that the problem is likely in the wear-level EMMC firmware code, it may not get triggered all the time even if mmc_erase() is called, but we are at risk whenever it is called.

As usual, you should be careful when flashing anything. I've been using this for 2 weeks now to test releases and haven't had any issues.
    No it just wipes data/cache. You'll still be on the same rom/kernel/modem, just starting "fresh"

Hey sfhub, how can we mobile Odin this from our phone again?
    Here is a tar.md5 (7zip self-extractor) you can use:

SPH-D710.WIPE_CACHE_DATA-sfx.exe

Double-click on windows (or use zArchiver on Android) and it'll give you the .tar.md5
    Q1 - Will this completely wipe all data, even from internal storage? How do I get my phone to go back to having only the basic folder/files needed to run?

Here is the reason I ask. I'm currently running Team Rogue Recovery. I just selected the Calkulin's Format All for E4gt.zip and ran it. It said it wiped a number of directories. After it ran, I then selected the Wipe > Factory Reset option. It said it wiped a number of directories.

However, when I go back and say "Choose .zip from Internal Storage", I see all these directories that were created by apps I installed that I thought would have been wiped. For example, I see a directory for BeWeather, CameraZoom, GoLauncher, GoLocker, etc. If I did a factory reset, shouldn't all those directories disappear from the internal storage?

Q2 - Assuming the answer to Q1 is yes, then based on the instructions provided, if I were to use this utility, it would clear out the data, but it would not remove the kernel. So could I use this utility while having a GB (EL29) kernel installed, and then flash a GB ROM?
    The purpose of this utility is to simulate the wipe data/factory reset option in Recovery using ODIN. The reason I put it together is there is a change in the ICS kernel where wipe data/factory reset does an mmc_erase(). This in turns triggers a bug in the EMMC firmware which could lead to your phone superbricking.

Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery will reset /cache and /data. It won't touch your SD card. This utility does the same, but does it in a safe manner that won't trigger the EMMC lockup/superbrick situation.

Don't expect stuff in /system (ie your ROM) to be reset nor your kernel. That is not the purpose of Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery. Its purpose is to get rid of your Android user data so you start from scratch.

If you are using a GB-based kernel/recovery, you don't need this. Your kernel/recovery doesn't issue an mmc_erase() thus are safe from the EMMC lockup/superbrick.
    My sentiments exactly. So SF, can thus be used in between flashing ROMS with mobile odin/ Odin?
    I cannot tell you for sure how it will work with Mobile ODIN unless I look through the source code.

After examining the problem code for Recovery, it appears the code that is causing issues is in the libext4_utils.a library. If Mobile ODIN links against an ICS-based version of libext4_utils.a, then it is susceptible to the problem. If not (or it never calls make_ext4fs()), then it is probably safe.

I will say however, that the purpose is to simulate wipe data/factory restore, not necessarily for the purposes of flashing a ROM, but rather to reset your Android user data. Wipe data/factory restore isn't exactly geared for ROM installs because it leaves /system untouched, which you probably want reset for ROM flashing.
    Thanks sfhub. Can someone upload the tar version for those who do not have access to a computer? Just wanna mobile Odin haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

You don't need access to a computer. I did what sfhub said. Downloaded Zarchiver from Market. Opened zarchiver, navigated to the exe file I downloaded onto my phone from the OP, long pressed the exe file, and selected "extract here." The tar.MD5 file was created on my external sd card. Mine shows up in Mobile Odin as a flashable file but I haven't tested it out yet. You're welcome to the file I created, but probably safer to do it yourself in case of a bad upload or download with dropbox.
    http://db.tt/XER4pAjp