[MOD][ROOT]Native Tether for Kit Kat 19.5.3

Search This thread

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
NEITHER MYSELF NOR XDA ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

1. Download Root Explorer by Jrummy in the Play store.

2. Download the tether zip attached to this post.

3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.

4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find tether.zip that you downloaded from step 2. Extract the build.prop, copy it and back out to the home folder. enter the system folder. Rename the build.prop that is there to build.prop.bak, then paste the one you extracted from the zip.

5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions Owner: Read/Write, Group:Read, Others: Read (should show rw-r--r--)

6. Exit out of root explorer

7. Reboot

8. Check the tether it should work.

9. PROFIT! Thank baby jesus and buy me a beer lol

Attachments

• 19.5.3tether.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 5,205
Last edited:

Lebowski13

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks

Confirmed, works beautifully on Droid Maxx...this has been mentioned several times but us still worth a mention...the phone will still act like it's checking entitlement, but it's not.

BartJJ

Mar 26, 2010
I'm getting force closes consistently and can't get it to start. Are you sure it goes in /system/app/ or does it go in the priv-app?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Watch dog

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
I'm getting force closes consistently and can't get it to start. Are you sure it goes in /system/app/ or does it go in the priv-app?

Reread the instructions completely this time then answer your own question

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

BartJJ

Mar 26, 2010
Reread the instructions completely this time then answer your own question

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Sorry, I see now in step 7 he says the private app folder but in step 5 he says the system app folder. I felt it strange to put it in s different folder. Anyway, might want to edit that to avoid confusion OP. Thanks for the great work though! I don't want to seem like an unappreciative douche lol.

Reactions: Watch dog

commando122

Nov 10, 2010
Tried this on someone else's phone. Hack works and I am able to connect a device via WiFi but as soon as device connects, the LTE is instantly disconnected and continues to try and reconnect until I disconnect the client. Looks like Verizon was able to implement some network side check in band 4 areas that disconnect your phone if the network detects too many hops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Tried this on someone else's phone. Hack works and I am able to connect a device via WiFi but as soon as device connects, the LTE is instantly disconnected and continues to try and reconnect until I disconnect the client. Looks like Verizon was able to implement some network side check in band 4 areas that disconnect your phone if the network detects too many hops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

False. It's a radio issue. Usually doesn't persist through a reboot

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEITHER MYSELF NOR XDA ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

1. Download Root Explorer by Jrummy in the Play store.

2. Download the tether zip attached to this post.

3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.

4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find tether.zip that you downloaded from step 2. Extract the build.prop, copy it and back out to the home folder. enter the system folder. Rename the build.prop that is there to build.prop.bak, then paste the one you extracted from the zip.

5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions Owner: Read/Write, Group:Read, Others: Read (should show rw-r--r--)

6. Exit out of root explorer

7. Reboot

8. Check the tether it should work.

9. PROFIT! Thank baby jesus and buy me a beer lol
    Thanks

Confirmed, works beautifully on Droid Maxx...this has been mentioned several times but us still worth a mention...the phone will still act like it's checking entitlement, but it's not.
    Woops lol - I have a Razr M, not thinking clearly today..

Any idea if this will work on Razr M?

Or if there is a way to get native tether back for Razr M on 4.4.2?

Try the 19.5.3 exploit for the razr m.

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"
    Sorry dumb question but how do I figure out if I have 19.5.3 or 19.6.3?

I thought Kit Kat was 4.4.2.

(My system version is 183.46.10 and no version number for anything in my "About Phone" section looks anything like 19.x.3...)

Please help - thanks!

Go to > Settings/About phone
    You will see > (Android version) and below that you will see (System version)..these two combined is the info you need..if you have a Droid Maxx..then you will see something like this..4.2.2_12.15.15 which is Jelly Bean (or) 4.4_19.5.3 which is Kit Kat..the Maxx hasn't upgraded to 4.4.2 yet..which is on the Moto X..

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
    (Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #1
    http://waynekent.com/page6.html
    I tried to search for the moto tether, using in-app module search but cannot find moto tether. Did you mean x tether?

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

AWESOME!!!!
    Replaced it with the right build prop, now all good :D
    Cheers sensei!!!
    Glad you got it worked out