[Q] which recovery after root?

Search This thread

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Howdy, I plan on rooting my tablet in a few days. The instructions say to root, then, flash stock recovery. Is flashing the stock recovery necessary if i plan on using goo to install twrp recovery prior to flashing cleanrom on my device?

Also, the cleanrom thread says to flash the appropriate version of twrp. Am I to assume the latest version on goo is the ticket for that?

Also, while the dev has indicated there will be further versions after 1.2, can I expect to simply download updates, or expect to flash new versions every time? I guess this particular question doesn't really matter I'm just interested.

And finally, has anybody used heimdall with any success with the p600? Google says no...

I would have posted this on the clean rom thread but was not allowed since I have not had enough posts yet. moving this to there would not hurt my feelings.

I appreciate any and all help and of course feel appreciation and give thanks to the developers who have put in such great effort. Thank you.

grmcrkrs

Oct 28, 2013
Waco TX
Howdy, I plan on rooting my tablet in a few days. The instructions say to root, then, flash stock recovery. Is flashing the stock recovery necessary if i plan on using goo to install twrp recovery prior to flashing cleanrom on my device?

Also, the cleanrom thread says to flash the appropriate version of twrp. Am I to assume the latest version on goo is the ticket for that?

Also, while the dev has indicated there will be further versions after 1.2, can I expect to simply download updates, or expect to flash new versions every time? I guess this particular question doesn't really matter I'm just interested.

And finally, has anybody used heimdall with any success with the p600? Google says no...

I would have posted this on the clean rom thread but was not allowed since I have not had enough posts yet. moving this to there would not hurt my feelings.

I appreciate any and all help and of course feel appreciation and give thanks to the developers who have put in such great effort. Thank you.

That's a lot questions! Lol.... here's two answers:
If you want to flash CleanRom, then you don't need to root your stock rom, just use Odin to flash TWRP and that will either let you install CleanRom or let you install SuperSU (root). You can the recovery from their website.

I'm on the P600 and the goomanager didn't install the recovery correctly, so I had to flash with odin.

I don't know about Heimdal. Good luck on your ten posts:)

Sent from my SM-P600

Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Odin eh?

That's a lot questions! Lol.... here's two answers:
If you want to flash CleanRom, then you don't need to root your stock rom, just use Odin to flash TWRP and that will either let you install CleanRom or let you install SuperSU (root). You can the recovery from their website.

I'm on the P600 and the goomanager didn't install the recovery correctly, so I had to flash with odin.

I don't know about Heimdal. Good luck on your ten posts:)

Sent from my SM-P600

My understanding is that root is neccesary to flash twrp. If that is not the case, they why use Odin at all?

Heimdall is a program reverse engineered to work on Samsung devices. Potentially more stable than odin. Open source. I use a linux box but will have access to a windows box in a week or so.

grmcrkrs

Oct 28, 2013
Waco TX
Furthermore, for verification, super su does not root your device, it only manages the permissions of those programs that need root access. Can somebody else chime in for verification?

No, you CAN flash recovery without rooting, and if your not rooted then TWRP asks if you'd like to install SuperSU and root that way. I guess you don't have to believe me though

Sent from my SM-P600

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
No, you CAN flash recovery without rooting, and if your not rooted then TWRP asks if you'd like to install SuperSU and root that way. I guess you don't have to believe me though

Sent from my SM-P600

that sounds great but doesn't TWRP need root in order to be installed? my understanding is yes. If not I should be able to install it using Goo manager. from what I've read the developers for GooManager are very serious and would not allow a non working application to remain in their program.

Last edited:

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer

You wont need to root if your intent is to just flash my ROM.

Appropriate version would be 2.6.3.3

As far as updates / patches... Depends on the issue. Mostly do full updates if something changes. If its a bug fix then I would just do a patch.

Hemidall? No, never tried it.

Basically to flash a custom ROM you just need to flash TWRP using Odin then flash the ROM using TWRP.

You dont techincally need to root unless you want to stay stock and have root. But that is no fun!

Also, the goo.im app does not work with this device so you have to use Odin manually (for simplicity).

Hope this helps!

grmcrkrs

Oct 28, 2013
Waco TX
that sounds great but doesn't TWRP need root in order to be installed? my understanding is yes. If not I should be able to install it using Goo manager. from what I've read the developers for GooManager are very serious and would not allow a non working application to remain in their program.

I read the TWRP thread, and others are having problems installing through goomanager. I also wanted to install it that way, but it wouldn't work. But it didnt work. It also wouldn't flash through the stock recovery. Hence, odin.

Sent from my SM-P600

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
thank you for the clarification! in order to flash TWRP in Odin do I simply use the AP slot as you would to flash autoroot by their directions?

one of the things thats tripped me up is that on the TWR P site as well as in Google Play it says you must have a rooted device. This would suggest that in order to get TWRP on your device it would already have to be rooted. it seems strange to me that the tablet will allow odin to install it on a non rooted device.

hoops I guess. So being a non Windows user, that is not familiar with the Windows operating system,( bet you don't hear that everyday) ,I would suppose the order would go something like this.

1 download Samsung drivers from kies.1
2. Download TWRP from site for odin.
3. Open odin.
4. go to download mode on device.
5. Plugin device and wait for it to be recognized.
6. Drag the Twrp zip for odin to the AP slot, enter,
7. Wait for it to .......?
8. Reboot.
9 download the cleanrom rom.
10. Reboot into recovery
11. Installcleanrom
12 enjoy.

a couple of other questions concerning the SD card. Should I leave it in during any or all of these processes? I've seen where other people have had problems with their SD card not being read is this due to it not being installed when they install clean rom? I really do appreciate all the help.

not breaking my device by doing something stupid is paramount. Lol! as I will be using my daughters computer any other information regarding the installation of the Samsung drivers or Odin would be much appreciated I do not want to hurt her computer.

Last edited:

shoresteve626

Aug 20, 2010
I kept my SD card installed while flashing TWRP in Odin and had no problems. If you're worried then take it out. As far as Odin goes... run it as an admin and after connecting your Note (in DL mode) just click on "AP" and navigate to the directory where you saved the TWRP file. From there just hit "start" and your good to go. Odin isn't gonna mess anything up on your daughters pc and if you have a copy of the stock recovery just reflash it if you run into problems with TWRP. Also, read through all the different threads/watch YouTube videos. Most of this has been covered many times over and you can see what success or problems others have had.