[Q] Recovery Mode Disappeared

Search This thread

Parad0x86

May 31, 2014
Running Samsung-SGH-I337 Galaxy S4 AT&T with 4.2.2, rooted and encrypted of course, I've been trying to flash a custom recovery such as CWM via ROM Manager and also TWRP via GooManager as well as other attempts to get the custom recovery working. When ROM Manager or GooManager tries to set things up it says it works, but when I reboot into recovery mode it actually goes into Download/Odin mode instead. Even if I use the volume up method of getting into recovery mode (download mode is volume down) it goes to download mode instead. I've even rebooted to recovery mode via adb, still goes to download instead. What?

Last edited:

Parad0x86

May 31, 2014
I haven't found a TWRP method that works for the ATT I337 via ODIN. Not sure how that would make a difference either though.

Jacynth

May 31, 2014
i dont about twrp why not use Philz Touch CWM ?
i can send your a link, pm me if you're interested

Parad0x86

May 31, 2014
I tried flashing the version from here: goo. im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/jflteatt but it fails every time. I've tried different verions of the ATT CWM Advanced Edition as well as different versions of Odin. I've read maybe it had something to do with a locked bootloader? Haven't been able to find much good information on that for my phone.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Jacynth

May 31, 2014
I tried flashing the version from here: goo. im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/jflteatt but it fails every time. I've tried different verions of the ATT CWM Advanced Edition as well as different versions of Odin. I've read maybe it had something to do with a locked bootloader? Haven't been able to find much good information on that for my phone.

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

have you tried other versions of Odin?

Parad0x86

May 31, 2014
Hi,

I'd like to remember you that you have a specific forum for your device ;)
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-att

People there should be of better help than here :).
~Lord
Thanks, I didn't realize I had to look at "All" forums to find my device's forum since the default is just "Top Devices" and didn't see it. If this can be moved please do.

I've been reading and from what I've gathered, since I have MF3 firmware my bootloader is locked down and my only bet is to use Safestrap. I'll be looking into this.

Edit: Also I use encryption which is apparently not a good idea with Safestrap so I'm probably SOL. Awesome.

Last edited: