May 24, 2010
Not sure what I did wrong? I added property and did the lines
1- open build.prop app
2- add property
3- first line
# propety name: ro.ril.hep
# propety key: 1
4- save. exit.
ADD ONE BY ONE, then rebot at list once.

ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
#ro.ril.enable.dtm=
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
#ro.ril.enable.a53=
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

Now, I went to reset my phone and now my phone won't boot on? It'll show the Samsung Galaxy S2 boot, then it goes black.

nismax

Jun 15, 2008
Bowling green
Not sure what I did wrong? I added property and did the lines
1- open build.prop app
2- add property
3- first line
4- save. exit.

ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
#ro.ril.enable.dtm=
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
#ro.ril.enable.a53=
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

Now, I went to reset my phone and now my phone won't boot on? It'll show the Samsung Galaxy S2 boot, then it goes black.

You changed something else in there. You need to be carefull when dealing with build.prop

Send from my SG2-i777 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: sumaher1

devoured321

Aug 26, 2009
North Carolina
Quick note on this...rather than editing the build prop you can download 3g 4g optimizer from market and it will add these lines in...plus it has settings to Taylor to your needs....might be a little easier...works for me..also checked a moment ago after a fresh flash....none of the edits were there before a used the app

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

nyydynasty

Sep 15, 2010
I noticed that. So, is there anything to do to reverse this? I've done a factory reset and that didn't work.
i hope you have the original build.prop. You should always save a copy of the original file before modifying it. If you do have it, then just ADB PUSH it from your PC to the phone. Put the phone into recovery mode, plug in the USB, put the build.prop file in the same directory as your adb.exe file. Now:
ADB PUSH #filename# /PhoneFolderLocation

For me, I ran this command on my computer:
ADB PUSH build.prop /system

reboot:
ADB REBOOT

I did the same thing with my build.prop and caused my phone to not boot. This is what I did to get it back to normal. It takes 1 minute and no format is required.

Last edited:

kidneysrgood

Oct 26, 2011
Do these build.prop fixes work for stock based roms like Unnamed, or would I have to run CM7? Thanks in advance.

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
tried the settings here and my results show no considerable change

for reference here are my settings
cm7 02152012 build posted by sam3000
siyah kernel 2.6.11
init.doh 0.3.9 scripts
k6 radio

western kentucky area (my specific area is already known to have issues with att reception in general, but we do have hspa active on our towers and ive seen speeds of up to 5000 kbps around town, but setting my phone on the table in the same location using the same speedtest.net app and the same server to test on shows no real benefit so far

i'll try on various other servers and in other locations around town and compare to results i've seen in the past (i know the location of two of the newer towers in town so i'll go hang around them and do some tests)

btw im using the setting posted by navenedrob because his point about hardware and service limitations is valid

just in case this is in any way similar to overclocking, i'd rather not put my radio through any undue stress just to get faster network speeds when my current speeds are satisfactory (not overly impressive, but im not complaining)

nismax

Jun 15, 2008
Bowling green
tried the settings here and my results show no considerable change

for reference here are my settings
cm7 02152012 build posted by sam3000
siyah kernel 2.6.11
init.doh 0.3.9 scripts
k6 radio

western kentucky area (my specific area is already known to have issues with att reception in general, but we do have hspa active on our towers and ive seen speeds of up to 5000 kbps around town, but setting my phone on the table in the same location using the same speedtest.net app and the same server to test on shows no real benefit so far

i'll try on various other servers and in other locations around town and compare to results i've seen in the past (i know the location of two of the newer towers in town so i'll go hang around them and do some tests)

btw im using the setting posted by navenedrob because his point about hardware and service limitations is valid

just in case this is in any way similar to overclocking, i'd rather not put my radio through any undue stress just to get faster network speeds when my current speeds are satisfactory (not overly impressive, but im not complaining)

hey bro i live in bowling green ky and i get good speeds. try my settings they work best.

nismax

Jun 15, 2008
Bowling green
Paducah here :) hi neighbor!
Like I said ill test more.

Btw what modem/rom/kernel/etc are you using?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

c6e4e1bc-482c-e39c.jpg

Here my neighbor. Kernel im curently using is entropy dd 12082011 - (experimental)

Reactions: Terminator12

iXNyNe

Dec 26, 2010
nemchik.com
Plus dont use the speedtest.net app, it is known to not give correct speeds. Use this link kn your browser,it seems more reliable http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Sent From My KickAss ATT SGS2 SPORTING CM7

Both speedtest.net app and that website use software from ookla... is it just a matter of the flash plugin being better than the native app? (Which seems back asswards).
Do we have any speedtest options that work and don't rely on ookla software?

P.s. btw ookla makes great ****, never had issues before.

D

Deleted member 663166

Both speedtest.net app and that website use software from ookla... is it just a matter of the flash plugin being better than the native app? (Which seems back asswards).
Do we have any speedtest options that work and don't rely on ookla software?

P.s. btw ookla makes great ****, never had issues before.

Try Speedtest by XtremeLabs. It takes longer, but I've seen where people like it more than the Ookla app. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.xtremelabs.android.speedtest&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS54dHJlbWVsYWJzLmFuZHJvaWQuc3BlZWR0ZXN0Il0.

estxxas

Dec 25, 2011
Seems to have bumped my dl speed up on average. Shpanks.

147210310.png

(Not too shabby for a small town in the middle of nowhere lol.)

bleuxeon

Jan 25, 2012
Near COGNAC (FR)
Ok after 2 Gb of data sent and received I can say that even if your carier doesn't support HSUPA (like Orange France and UK), setting ro.ril.hsxpa to 2 (it should be 1) as a positive effect on the down and up speed (as it sometime increase a litle bit the ping).

The same goes with ro.ril.hsdpa.category. In theory the max for my carier is 7 or 8, and the GS2 has a max of 21.
So it sounds very logical to set it to 8 max since my carier doesnt handle more than this 7-8 speed. But I have made and repeat down/up tests half with 8, half with 21 and they tend to be allways better with 21:)

I don't clame this is the truth about thoose ril.**** values but I can't ignore them;)

here are my best results down/up/ping :

148555698.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4a8d5066-8830-8fc8.jpg

Here is my new speedtest results after i done build.prop tweaks tell me what you think and if you guys think speeds are good or better then yours ill make little guide what i done i live in 3g area and never had as good results.

UPDATE:

Here is my specs, i have tryied other specs that Mr.RockRatt posted in this thread and my specs give me better results. I am getting 8-10 mb, not all the time. during busy hours i get 6-7 mb

download:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=org.nathan.jf.build.prop.editor

1- open build.prop app
    2- add property
    3- first line
    4- save. exit.

*build.prop specs*

ro.ril.hep=1
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    #ro.ril.enable.dtm=
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
    #ro.ril.enable.a53=
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

If I helped you out please hit THANKS button.
    I found this info from two linked threads here on xda and had posted them back when the i777 first came out that shows what these things mean. Helps to explain what and why your are making these changes and the potential benefits.

ro.ril.hsxpa : inidcates hsxpa support of target network :
    Code:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

ro.ril.gprsclass : inidcates GPRS class of target network :

Code: Class 2 : 3 slots : 8 - 12 kbps upload / 16 - 24 kbps download

Class 4 : 4 slots : 8 - 12 kbps upload / 24 - 36 kbps download

Class 6 : 4 slots : 24 - 36 kbps upload / 24 - 36 kbps download

Class 8 : 5 slots : 8 - 12 kbps upload / 32 - 40 kbps download

Class 10 : 5 slots : 16 - 24 kbps upload / 32 - 48 kbps download

Class 12 : 5 slots : 32 - 48 kbps upload / 32 - 48 kbps download

ro.ril.hsdpa.category :

Code:
    Cat 1 = 1.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 2 = 1.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 3 = 1.8 Mbit/s
    Cat 4 = 1.8 Mbit/s
    Cat 5 = 3.6 Mbit/s
    Cat 6 = 3.6 Mbit/s
    Cat 7 = 7.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 8 = 7.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 9 = 10.1 Mbit/s
    Cat 10 = 14.0 Mbit/s
    Cat 11 = 0.9 Mbit/s
    Cat 12 = 1.8 Mbit/s
    Cat 13 = 17.6 Mbit/s
    Cat 14 = 21.1 Mbit/s
    Cat 15 = 23.4 Mbit/s
    Cat 16 = 27.9 Mbit/s
    Cat 19 = 35.3 Mbit/s
    Cat 20 = 42.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 21 = 23.4 Mbit/s
    Cat 22 = 27.9 Mbit/s
    Cat 23 = 35.3 Mbit/s
    Cat 24 = 42.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 25 = 46.8 Mbit/s

ro.ril.hsupa.category :

Code: Cat 1 = 0.73 Mbit/s
    Cat 2 = 1.46 Mbit/s
    Cat 3 = 1.46 Mbit/s
    Cat 4 = 2.93 Mbit/s
    Cat 5 = 2.00 Mbit/s
    Cat 6 = 5.76 Mbit/s
    Cat 7 = 11.5 Mbit/s

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1: Boolean value when set to 1 allows ARFCN simultaneous transfer of Packet Switched (PS) and Circuit Switched (CS) data over the same radio channel

ro.ril.gprsclass=12: indicates the target 2G GPRS class of network.

Class 12 : 5 slots : 32 - 48 kbps upload / 32 -48 kbps download value to Class 10 : 5 slots : 16 - 24 kbps upload / 32 - 48 kbps download

ro.ril.hep=1: Not certain.

Suggested change to hep=0 if you have issues with HQ youtube videos over cellular data.

ro.enable.3g.prefix: Adds the 3G prefix to the operator name

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=14: Indicates the highest High-Speed Downlink Packet Access category.

Cat 8 = 7.2 Mbit/s
    Cat 28 = 84.4 Mbit/s
    Cat 14 = 21.1 Mbit/s

ro.ril.hsupa.category=7: Indicates the highest High Speed Uplink Packet Access category.

Cat 7 = 11.5 Mbit/s

ro.ril.hsxpa=5: Indicates HSXPA support of target network

0 = UMTS r99
    1 = HSDPA
    2 = HSDPA / HSUPA
    5 = Not Certain.
    I remember the build.prop tweaks in the Inspire 4g forum. They worked there so I don't see why they won't here.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Different device. I don't know about the GS2, but in the Infuse forums, ajerman proved that most of the RIL build.prop tweaks that worked for HTC devices were nothing but pure placebo effect on the Infuse. He set things to "clearly broken" values and still had good performance.
    Different device indeed. Looking through the build.prop, I only found two values that could potentially be changed for data speed:

ro.ril.hsxpa=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10

Maybe because I'm on cm7?

Anyway there isn't:
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=
    ro.ril.gprsclass=,
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=
    ro.ril.hsupa.category= or
    ro.ril.hsxpa=

And I've seen these on at&t phones.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Here is what I changed mine to and this is my results. I am on CM7 also.There is a thread somewhere that we hashed all this out already. I just deleted the two lines "ro.ril.hsxpa=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10" and added these in place. I go from the 3-5Mb/s to 7-10Mb/s for my area. Add these below in the same location of the build.prop where you removed the two lines:

ro.ril.hsxpa=5
    ro.ril.hsupa.category=7
    ro.ril.hsdpa.category=48
    ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12
    ro.ril.enable.dtm=1

Sent From My KickAss ATT SGS2 SPORTING CM7
    Got even better.
    c6e4e0ee-f166-828d.jpg