[APP] SilverDict [V] 1.8

Search This thread

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
attachment.php
Hello, I'm glad to announce my next free application for WP7, the SilverDict.

SilverDict is a offline dictionary application, compatible with famous StarDict program by dictionaries format. Application is very fast, simple and reliable. You don't need to switch languages, SilverDict is using all installed and enabled dictionaries to search the words.

On the first run, application will offer you to download and install dictionaries from online repository (based on free XDXF dictionary collection http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdxf/files/ ) or your own dictionaries from cloud stores (SkyDrive or DropBox).
Dictionary file archive for download and install should be:
  • in StarDict format (i.e. have *.idx, *.ifo, *.dict.dz or *.dict, optional *.syn files; also optional resource (images) directory;
  • dictionary archive should be zipped (has *.zip extension) or in Unix-style compressed tarball format .tar.bz2 in one file. For *.zip archive you may try to archive more then one dictionary;
Of course, for downloading dictionaries you should have your Internet connection enabled (for download only, SilverDict does not required Internet connection)

Please, be patient: dictionary installation requires some time (depending from dictionary size).

I don't recommend you to install too many dictionaries; BTW, SilverDict can display up to 8 dictionaries simultaneously.

I'll be glad to hear your impressions, suggestions and feature requests here! Happy searching! :D

SilverDict: store link

SilveDict+ (no ads): store link

• version 1.8: fixed bugs; added SD card support (WP8 only);
    Please note: zip archive extension (.zip) is reserved for system; you should change '.zip' extension to the '.zip.dic' first.
  • version 1.7: fixed various bugs; improved stability; added ""Rate My App"" control.
  • version 1.6: added Live tiles support; now you may pin article to the start screen; Windows Phone 8 support; added ""silverdict"" protocol for WP8; third-party developers now can use 'SilverDict' as an add-on dictionary; fixed various bugs.
  • version 1.5: custom color themes, independent from the system theme; "Favorites" tab (please enable in the "settings"); ability to swap languages in "Dictionary manager" by flick gesture; fixed various bugs, improved overall application stability;
  • version 1.4: added input box with history; fixed various bugs;
  • version 1.3: improved umlaut diacritic support; improved dictionaries order handling; fixed various bugs;
  • version 1.2: fixed online repository access
  • version 1.1: fixed bugs with DropBox login, and saving input text
  • version 1.0: initial release

Attachments

• Poster.png
    Poster.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 716
  • ApplicationIcon2.png
    ApplicationIcon2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 24,712
  • sd001.jpg
    sd001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • sd004.jpg
    sd004.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • sd008.jpg
    sd008.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
By far, Silverdict is the best looking dict app I've tried, WP7 or Android. The design is clean, polished and intuitive.

The "tab" design is a very useful idea (2nd picture OP). I usually use 3 portuguese dicts on Fora Dictionary (Android app). When I begin to write a word on it, various suggestions appear (of all 3 dicts). In Silverdict it's a little bit different, it's more individualized: you write a word on textbox and the results aren't displayed all together, but in each dict's tab. It seemed to me as a flaw at first, but now I really like your design option sensboston.

EDIT: after playing a little bit more with SilverDict, I find to feel that it would be more intituitive if when I tap a word all dicts display it's meaning. As it is now, each time I select a tab I have to tap on the word to display it's meaning, even if I have tapped it before.

Fora Dictionary has a start scanner function. When activated, if you copy a word on browser or an e-book reader app, it automaticly opens dict app and displays the word's meaning. It's a superb feature, but due to WP7 limitations it will probably be hard to achieve. Besides, WP7 e-book readers I've tried don't have the option to copy a word (can't understand why).

EDIT: with Freda e-book reader, with a 2-step procedure, it's possible to copy a word. Start scanner would be a nice implementation in Silverdict, if possible of course.

Skyfire works great, but I'm having an issue with dropbox. I added my account and it opened dropbox page on browser. Due to "not having jave script" my folders weren't displayed.

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Thanks for your review and comments!

As for design: I never tried Fora Dictionary but a long time customer of the ABBYY Lingvo dictionary (IMHO, the best dictionary profuct for Windows). SilverDict is copying Lingvo's UI: you have a list of found words (with variants) and you have to click word to display explanation. I thought, dictionary separation by tabs will be more intuitive to end-user; but I can try to implement tab-less, merged list.

As for DropBox: it's a strange. I've switched app to production state (it takes some time) at DropBox devs site, but it still works fine for me: on my Focus or on emulator. Tomorrow I'll try (at work) on the other different handsets. Will be good if someone else can test that functionality too.

Reactions: nocute8072

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
I thought, dictionary separation by tabs will be more intuitive to end-user; but I can try to implement tab-less, merged list.

Silverdict works great the way it is so don't get into to much work. It was just a remark I made and it's nice to have an app with a different approach. To be honest, each time I use it, the more I like how it works.

Just a small remark: on settings, there's an option to enable/disable save last input, but it doesn't seem to work. I have it disabled, but each time I start Silverdict the last word I typed remains on search box.

And about "detect copied word" function, is it possible to implement?

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Just forgot to ask: if you have free dictionaries (under free license or without licences) that isn't in the repository, and you want to share 'em with others, please let me know.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
[UPDATE] new version (1.1) of SilverDict uploaded, two significant bugs, with DropBox and cleaning input box are fixed . Big thanks to myself11 for testing!

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
Has Silverdict been already approved on Marketplace? Can't find it yet.

There sould be an Android version :p Now when I go back to ICS, dict apps seem ugly and less pratical.

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
Can you explain a bit about Skydrive and dropbox Integration ? What is that being used for ?

It's for the user to be able to add his own stardict dictionaries to Silverdict. If you have none or simply are happy with those available online, there's no need to sync with Skydrive or Dropbox. In my case, it's very useful since I have gathered stardict dictionaries that are not available online.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
He-he, I recognized this question as a developer's question :D Yep, myself11 is absolutely right: using cloud storage you can easily install your own dictionaries.
Technically there are lot of various dictionaries, available on internet; most of 'em can be converted to StarDict format (I don't have enough time to collect 'em all!) Another issue is a right owners... So, SilverDict just provide flexibility.

roqstr

Sep 23, 2011
i would prefer a table containing the string and the translation. just like LEO-dictionary. but the offline support & diversity of dictonarys are quite good!

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
roqstr, SilverDict is a dictionary, not a translator. Offline sentences translation is a very complex task and can't be easy done on the handset (it's requires a huge database - for example, how Google's translations works). By the way, what LEO-dictionary you are talking about? Just checked Android app called "LEO dictionary" - it's works the same way as a SilverDict but online only and without SilverDict's advantages.

roncza

Jul 7, 2008
That app is just great. Thanks.
I have recognized searching for special charaters as the first one in the word does not deliver a result, e.g. Öl, árbol ...
Am I missing something?
Thanks ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    Hello, I'm glad to announce my next free application for WP7, the SilverDict.

SilverDict is a offline dictionary application, compatible with famous StarDict program by dictionaries format. Application is very fast, simple and reliable. You don't need to switch languages, SilverDict is using all installed and enabled dictionaries to search the words.

On the first run, application will offer you to download and install dictionaries from online repository (based on free XDXF dictionary collection http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdxf/files/ ) or your own dictionaries from cloud stores (SkyDrive or DropBox).
    Dictionary file archive for download and install should be:
    • in StarDict format (i.e. have *.idx, *.ifo, *.dict.dz or *.dict, optional *.syn files; also optional resource (images) directory;
    • dictionary archive should be zipped (has *.zip extension) or in Unix-style compressed tarball format .tar.bz2 in one file. For *.zip archive you may try to archive more then one dictionary;
    Of course, for downloading dictionaries you should have your Internet connection enabled (for download only, SilverDict does not required Internet connection)

Please, be patient: dictionary installation requires some time (depending from dictionary size).

I don't recommend you to install too many dictionaries; BTW, SilverDict can display up to 8 dictionaries simultaneously.

I'll be glad to hear your impressions, suggestions and feature requests here! Happy searching! :D

SilverDict: store link

SilveDict+ (no ads): store link

• version 1.8: fixed bugs; added SD card support (WP8 only);
      Please note: zip archive extension (.zip) is reserved for system; you should change '.zip' extension to the '.zip.dic' first.
    • version 1.7: fixed various bugs; improved stability; added ""Rate My App"" control.
    • version 1.6: added Live tiles support; now you may pin article to the start screen; Windows Phone 8 support; added ""silverdict"" protocol for WP8; third-party developers now can use 'SilverDict' as an add-on dictionary; fixed various bugs.
    • version 1.5: custom color themes, independent from the system theme; "Favorites" tab (please enable in the "settings"); ability to swap languages in "Dictionary manager" by flick gesture; fixed various bugs, improved overall application stability;
    • version 1.4: added input box with history; fixed various bugs;
    • version 1.3: improved umlaut diacritic support; improved dictionaries order handling; fixed various bugs;
    • version 1.2: fixed online repository access
    • version 1.1: fixed bugs with DropBox login, and saving input text
    • version 1.0: initial release
    Thanks for your review and comments!

As for design: I never tried Fora Dictionary but a long time customer of the ABBYY Lingvo dictionary (IMHO, the best dictionary profuct for Windows). SilverDict is copying Lingvo's UI: you have a list of found words (with variants) and you have to click word to display explanation. I thought, dictionary separation by tabs will be more intuitive to end-user; but I can try to implement tab-less, merged list.

As for DropBox: it's a strange. I've switched app to production state (it takes some time) at DropBox devs site, but it still works fine for me: on my Focus or on emulator. Tomorrow I'll try (at work) on the other different handsets. Will be good if someone else can test that functionality too.
    Thank you, guys, for help and suggestions! As for beta-testing: I can easily submit a beta version to MP for beta-testing, it will be available shortly (usually two days). I only need your emails (you may PM to me).
    As for saving already downloaded dictionaries: it's possible for sideloaded app only (you may copy whole SilverDict's isolated storage file (folder) by using ISETool.exe or other third-party tools) or for the full unlocked devices.
    About huge database usage: I've never tried Wiki dictionary but theoretically it should work (if index will fit in memory :). SD designed to work with low memory requirements (actually it holds only the dictionaries indexes in memory, not the whole dictionary databases). Please try (but be patient, unpacking will take some time) and tell us your results!

P.S. BTW, guys, could you do me a favor and support my Lunar Lander Touch app by downloading and good rating? ;) I know, it's not a sophisticated game (actually it was my marketplace "entrance" app, I prefer to port real Android game instead of submitting stub) but I really and still like it :) I'm not a gamer but sometime you need a real quick and easy game for relaxation. Try to land spaceship on hard level 6 times in row - it's not that easy ;)
    That version is different, yes. But the fix is for German/Spanish only. Are you able to sideload apps? If yes, I can make a special test build for you. Also, could you type capital characters of "ç , ı , ş , ö , ü " (to copy&paste) and regular chars equivalents (I'm assume: c, i, s, o, u, correct?).
    Thanks!

Yes you're correct.
    c - ç
    i - ı
    s - ş
    o - ö
    u - ü

and i forgot

g - ğ

But a word in Turkish never begins with "ğ"

Ofcourse i'm able to sideload apps. I can try and feedback :)

Btw: add's are now working :)
    Another minor thing.
    I've uploaded my dict. 42 of all :D (with technical,medical etc... dict.)
    Now , i wanted to make an order in "my dictionaries" tab.
    Unluckly , my most important dict. at the last.
    Hold... wait ... move up... wait 6 sec... 41.
    Hold again... wait... move up... 6 sec... 40.

What i want to say is , don't you think adding a moveup and movedown button will be handy?
    Processing time may be normal bec of that much dict. but holding and waiting every time is a pain in the ... :) i lost 30min ordering the dictionaries... :(

Like nokia up down buttons... just a suggestion. :)
    http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com....s/2012/02/Nokia-Drive-setting-destination.jpg

And you should share your app here:
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=978