Lumia 900 Battery Life

Search This thread

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Do you guys know if Nokia Drive will run in the background and eat up battery?

Navigation apps on iPhones will eat up the battery in the background.
Well as it uses offline maps, only thing running is GPS. And if you have location already turned on, GPS is active. So, probably not.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reactions: geekaren

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Does anyone know if you leave your phone plugged in with the OEM charger if that degrades or affects the battery's life over time?
Using the homebrew Battery Meter app, I can tell you that after it reaches 100%, the battery will discharge to 97-99% and then go back up to 100% throughout the night. Adjusts about every 30-40 minutes. So, I don't think staying on the charger hurts. I am not going to worry about it.

bbtm

Feb 22, 2007
Not sure about Nokia Drive but power consumption on my phone seems to be very random. I bought it a week ago. The first few days battery life was amazing. I would get through the day with at least 30% left. Now I run out of juice after 13h.
I got the notification a few days ago and upgraded the software (I assume the one fixing the connectivity issue). Could that be it? I've also been installing more apps including Nokia drive and I use an ATT Microcell in my office.
I downloaded the Nokia Diagnostic tool (dial ##634#) and started regularly checking the discharge rate, turning things on and off (microcell, airplane mode, wifi, location, battery saver). Most of the time the discharge current stabilizes at 350mA (I assume that's per hour). With a 1830 mAH battery, that's 5h15. Then some of the time I get a steady rate of around 100mA. My 13 hours average battery life would indicate an average rate of 140. The only time it seems to stabilize below 100 is with wifi, location and BT off and with battery safer on. Not very useful.
I love the phone but might return it and switch to the Titan2 if I can't resolve the problem.

diehardbattery

Apr 23, 2011
Houston
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Nokia support seems to think 10-12 hours on one charge with moderate use is normal. Unless I am reading it wrong or I asked the question wrong:

https://twitter.com/#!/NokiaHelps/status/193076166440140801

Edit so does Windows Phone support:

https://twitter.com/#!/WinPhoneSupport/status/193077995156668416

Guess I'll just throw it on the charger throughout the day as much as I can.
That's about what I'm getting with wifi and bluetooth on for about 85-90% of that time

ajpratt

Jan 15, 2010
The microcell is killing your battery. Try turning off the microcell or killing the data connection.

awesomeindeed

Apr 28, 2008
Chicago Suburbs
I've only had mine for 3 days now and in those days I've gotten roughly 20 hours on a charge. I like to think I use my phone a decent amount. About an hour or two of calls per day, a few hundred texts, lots of app use, about 2 hours of music listening and moderate amounts of browsing. BT on all the time as well.

It's on par with my Titan, which generally sees 20-26 hours depending on use.

bbtm

Feb 22, 2007
Being puzzled by the change in battery life, I took the plunge and did a full reset on the phone. I then recreated my email account (one exchange, one Hotmail both setup to download mail every 30min), connected to windows life but did not setup or use any app. I’m still using that microcell in my office and have wifi turned on.
The battery diagnostic consistently showed around 95 mA which should equal to about 20 hours on a charge.
Then I tried to take a picture and the phone requested to turn location on. I did that and the battery discharge current – was back consistently to the 350-400 mA.
Turning location back off brought the discharge rate back down to 95 mA.
I had tried turning off the location service before doing a full reset but it didn’t help. Could this mean that some apps use it even if it’s off?
My plan is to start re-installing one app at a time and keep monitoring the battery to see if I can find a clear culprit.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Being puzzled by the change in battery life, I took the plunge and did a full reset on the phone. I then recreated my email account (one exchange, one Hotmail both setup to download mail every 30min), connected to windows life but did not setup or use any app. I’m still using that microcell in my office and have wifi turned on.
The battery diagnostic consistently showed around 95 mA which should equal to about 20 hours on a charge.
Then I tried to take a picture and the phone requested to turn location on. I did that and the battery discharge current – was back consistently to the 350-400 mA.
I had tried turning off the location service before doing a full reset but it didn’t help. Could this mean that some apps use it even if it’s off?
My plan is to start re-installing one app at a time and keep monitoring the battery to see if I can find a clear culprit.

Go for it man....:p

I've done this too, though not on this device....but I learned exactly what you are intending to find out.

First, there are indeed system combinations that play better together. Period.
There are comibinations that once turned on, are very difficult, if not impossible to turn off.

The same is true for apps. There are some wonderful apps out there. There are some horrible apps out there. But, again, some of these apps, in combination with the system have varying degrees of 'efficency'.

This part really makes me laugh though. People downgrade windows phone because of the size of the marketplace. You can't put 450k apps on your phone. You find the app that works for you, and you continually use it. This is demonstrated everyday by various comments, usually by newbs, here and on various forums.

My 'research' told me:
  • load only the apps you use regularly
  • do pay attention to data use
  • do pay attention to battery life
  • be aware what each app uses. Location is used by alot of apps and does use alot of power
  • Free apps use alot of battery life because of the ads. There are some nice articles talking about battery life and ads in apps across all platforms. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
  • Uninstalling an app does not always reset the system back tothe way it was.
  • Sometimes ONLY a factory reset will reset your system correctly.
  • Consider using Reinstaller to pick and choose your apps. It makes the ability to hard reset easy to stomach.
  • Use the cloud for your pictures and docs. This makes having to hard reset a little easier to stomach

Another thing, monitor the amount of LIve tiles you actually use. I recall this being an issue when the first v1 phones came out. I can't imagine the issue went away. Microsoft tried to choose a balance between the amount of information you might want to see vs. the impact on battery life. Most people ignored the part about battery life...and insisted on dozens of live tiles.

Anyway, share what you find out. We can all use that information...and whenyou find an app that devours battery...make sure you put that in the app review...others need to know this...

Good luck.

Reactions: arcspeak

bbtm

Feb 22, 2007
@alodar1
I think you’re spot on. I was going to re-install WP Shortcut Tiles but realized that it uses the location service. So instead I installed Toggle which only claims to use data services. I setup two shortcuts, one for Wifi and one for Airplane Mode and the battery discharge rate shoot up to 450 mA.
Luckily an uninstalled and soft reset seems to have brought me back down to the 95 mA range.
I think this really illustrates your point about making sure you need the app. If I can keep the phone at the 95 mA range with wifi and 4g on, why would I ever turn them off (except getting on an airplane). So why would I need the shortcut.

godfa7h3r

May 29, 2006
Got my white Lumia 900 on Friday 4/20. Charged it that night and then used it all weekend fairly heavily. Wifi also on the entire time.

Been off the charger for 36 hours and I still have 10% left. No possible way my original Focus would have even come close to that. I'm very happy with that kind of battery life.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Dunno. Just opened Diagnostics and watched the meter for a minute. Hovered between 106 and 137, averaging about 125. It did shoot up to 237-242 for about 10 seconds and then back down again. So lets say an average of 150.

LTE, WiFi on. Location on. Five email syncs, two push. Eight active background tasks and many other Live Tiles using push. I am sure the majority of that average 150 was for the beautiful screen I was gazing at.

Still testing, but so far my drain while the phone is idle has been between 3-4% per hour. Turning WiFi off when my month resets on the 26th to test LTE data usage. Expect the number to drop a little.

The biggest drain while the phone is idle (which is the majority of the time) is your data connection. MicroCells seem to be killing the L900. Don't know why. Things like tiles, email, location, etc., don't amount to all that much by the end of the day. Maybe 15-18% tops. But they add so much to the experience, I am not willing to compromise.

ljwnow

Jul 24, 2007
Lumia 900 is the worst phone I've ever had. I want to get rid of it. Let me know if anyone is interested. It's like brand new.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Lumia 900 is the worst phone I've ever had. I want to get rid of it. Let me know if anyone is interested. It's like brand new.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Thoroughly enjoying mine. Hope you find what you are looking for.

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Thoroughly enjoying mine. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Don't bother responding to the troll; she's already been at it in other threads in the Lumia subforums. Sad that trolls even troll xda; they should relegate themselves to the fan sites, not this one.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
@alodar1
I think you’re spot on. I was going to re-install WP Shortcut Tiles but realized that it uses the location service. So instead I installed Toggle which only claims to use data services. I setup two shortcuts, one for Wifi and one for Airplane Mode and the battery discharge rate shoot up to 450 mA.
Luckily an uninstalled and soft reset seems to have brought me back down to the 95 mA range.
I think this really illustrates your point about making sure you need the app. If I can keep the phone at the 95 mA range with wifi and 4g on, why would I ever turn them off (except getting on an airplane). So why would I need the shortcut.

Just to follow up on what has been said by all, I hard reset my device and loaded only the apps I realistically use on a daily basis. They are: Skydrive, Starbucks card, wordament, Toggle, Angry Birds, Flowerz, Cloud music, Nokia Maps and drive, Skype, Bank of America, Creative Studio, Facebook, Twitter and Flixster.

Phone came off the charger at 630am. Its now 130pm...7 hrs? Battery charge is at 93%. I've had 2 phone calls, and a several dozen texts, and a little Internet.. WiFi is on, BT is off.

I just loaded the AccuWeather app. I use Accuweather because it predicts the weather more to my liking. :D Since I have had the weather app on, my Battery has dropped 2%...maybe....3 minutes?

I use most of my battery in the evening.....just before bed.....So...I'm not really concerned about daytime use. But, this battery sure lasts a while....and I think its because of the apps we load more than a lot of other things.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
I have 106 apps/games on my phone.
I have 44 tiles on home screen.
I have 3 push emails as soon as they arrive.
I have 7 active background task & 27 advanced background task.
HSPA+ Connection, with WiFi and Messenger active.
Location services on.
I stream 1.5-2 hours of music ~5 days a week through headphones, at work.
I check Windows Phone News app 5 times a day and follow the stories where they take me.
On a work day in horrible service area I use about 40% battery power over 9 hours. The next 6-7 hours at home .2 miles from tower I use another 10%, unless I play a game for a couple hours on phone, then Ill have 20% left when I start charging it.
On days off in my neighborhood, I will have 60% left when I go to bed at night.

For my free accessory from Nokia/At&t I chose the Mophie 4,000mAh 2.1A back up battery. I haven't used it once due to need, just to cycle juice through it to keep it fresh. This phones battery life is so far been outstanding.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have noticed that the battery life is no where near what I expected based on all the reviews and threads I am reading about it being great. I hope it gets better over time given that its only 4 days old.

I charged the phone fully overnight and took it off the charger at 9AM. I have taken a short 5 minute call, sent a few texts, 10 minutes of browsing the web. I have 2 email accounts set to push (outlook and gmail), bluetooth off, wifi on, signal is a little weak in the house so I'm sure that diminishes the battery some due to the radio having to poll for the signal all the time. As of right now I am at 11%. That's 8.5 hours of minimal use.

One thing I noticed is that I do see, when viewing the Battery Status page in the diagnostics tool, the current discharge seems to get pretty high without touching the phone. It will go from 100 mA to approx 600 mA, hover around 300 then back down to 100 mA and repeat this cycle over and over.

Can it be that push is not set up correctly with Gmail? On the iPhone I remember having to set it up as an additional exchange account to get push to work correctly.
    Coming from the iPhone 4S, I'm getting less battery with the Lumia. I'm fairly certain it has to do with my phone swapping from 4G to LTE all day long while I'm at work, even though when I have LTE reception its full bars. Hopefully a firmware update comes out that will either fix this issue or let me turn off LTE entirely.
    I happened to have been at the store to pick up some corporate devices. We're mostly an iOS shop with some Androids and Blackberries in between. I'm probably the only person that has a Windows Phone 7 device. Anyway, while I was there, I happened to bump into the Nokia rep for the store so we chatted for a bit and we discussed the device and what I like and don't like about it. He informed me that in order for the Lumia to get a full charge, you need to use the charger that came with it. Specially for the first 5-6 times. It apparently outputs at a different wattage then most charging devices and that any other charger will only charge the battery to around 70% even though it would show it at 100 on the screen. The Lumia charger will also bring the 900 to 90% charge from a dead battery state in about an hour.

For those experiencing the dismal battery life try charging with the Lumia charger instead of your other chargers. I was doing the same thing since I had tons of micro-usb chargers from my other device. I'm going to try now to see if what he was saying is true. YMMV
    Do you guys know if Nokia Drive will run in the background and eat up battery?

Navigation apps on iPhones will eat up the battery in the background.
    Well as it uses offline maps, only thing running is GPS. And if you have location already turned on, GPS is active. So, probably not.

Go for it man....:p

I've done this too, though not on this device....but I learned exactly what you are intending to find out.

First, there are indeed system combinations that play better together. Period.
    There are comibinations that once turned on, are very difficult, if not impossible to turn off.

The same is true for apps. There are some wonderful apps out there. There are some horrible apps out there. But, again, some of these apps, in combination with the system have varying degrees of 'efficency'.

This part really makes me laugh though. People downgrade windows phone because of the size of the marketplace. You can't put 450k apps on your phone. You find the app that works for you, and you continually use it. This is demonstrated everyday by various comments, usually by newbs, here and on various forums.

My 'research' told me:
    • load only the apps you use regularly
    • do pay attention to data use
    • do pay attention to battery life
    • be aware what each app uses. Location is used by alot of apps and does use alot of power
    • Free apps use alot of battery life because of the ads. There are some nice articles talking about battery life and ads in apps across all platforms. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
    • Uninstalling an app does not always reset the system back tothe way it was.
    • Sometimes ONLY a factory reset will reset your system correctly.
    • Consider using Reinstaller to pick and choose your apps. It makes the ability to hard reset easy to stomach.
    • Use the cloud for your pictures and docs. This makes having to hard reset a little easier to stomach

Another thing, monitor the amount of LIve tiles you actually use. I recall this being an issue when the first v1 phones came out. I can't imagine the issue went away. Microsoft tried to choose a balance between the amount of information you might want to see vs. the impact on battery life. Most people ignored the part about battery life...and insisted on dozens of live tiles.

Anyway, share what you find out. We can all use that information...and whenyou find an app that devours battery...make sure you put that in the app review...others need to know this...

Good luck.