recaf - CAF enhanced AOSP for Xperia SP

Search This thread

adfad666

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
Hello Boys and Girls,

Everyone at XDA loves AOSP based projects. However AOSP is designed only for the Nexus devices. For most other devices, a significant ammount of extra code needs to be added for them to run properly. For Qualcomm devices, most of this extra code is supplied by the Code Aurora Forums. Here you can find a variant of AOSP that is not only designed specifically for Qualcomm based devices, but it also includes various tricks and enhancements.

So today I'm introducing a little project I've been cooking up for myself, which might also be interesting for other Xperia SP users.

It's called recaf - adding the CAF optimizations back into your AOSP rom.

This is now based on Android 4.4 KitKat. On the surface, it looks almost exactly like pure AOSP as provided by Google. You wouldn't know just by looking at it, but under the surface there are lots of changes to dalvik, the frameworks and the hardware drivers to massively improve battery life.

However, pure AOSP sometimes feels a little bit featureless compared to advanced roms such as CyanogenMod, so I have included a few basic tweaks that I feel make life easier when using an AOSP-like rom:

• CyanogenMod camera app - because AOSP camera app is rubbish
  • CyanogenMod cLock widget - because it's actually pretty nice
  • Integrated Superuser - it's right there in the settings menu!
  • exFAT and NTFS - needed for larger SDCards
  • Multicoloured notification lights - AOSP gives us white lights only
  • Quick settings - easily accessible by swiping down the right side of the status bar
  • Advanced reboot - Always available in the power menu
  • ADB and SU security - root access is disabled by default

So without further delay, here is your download link:

recaf-4.K1-20131212-huashan.zip
recaf-4.K1-20131207-huashan.zip
recaf-4.K1-20131202-huashan.zip
recaf-4.K1-20131129-huashan.zip
recaf-4.K1-20131127-huashan.zip

I assume you will also want to install GAPPS, the version I recommend is the FULL version created by the Paranoid Android team from THIS THREAD.

For your first install you will need to flash the boot.img from inside the zip - SELinux changes for Android 4.4 will cause the zip to fail on other recoveries.

If you want to chat about recaf, join the Freenode IRC chat room #recaf.

recaf-4.J3-20131110-huashan.zip
recaf-4.J3-20131113-huashan.zip
pa_gapps-full-4.3-GH-20131112.zip

Last edited:

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Known Major Bugs
  • Location services are currently broken for certain apps. fixed in 4.K1.
  • GSM data sometimes (very rarely) randomly disconnects until reboot - I need help to determine what causes this. If you can reliably reproduce this, let me know.
  • Android RunTime (ART) will fail at boot time fixed.

Known Minor Bugs
  • WiFi does not connect to WPA secured networks. WPA2 security works as expected.
  • For Superuser to work you need to change ADB access to apps and adb (in developer settings)
  • Language does not change in some parts of Android, most notably the Settings app. Most other apps work fine and I didn't touch the language code, so this is a CAF bug I will need to fix.
  • Custom notification colours for missed calls and voice mail don't work
  • LED on charging sometimes gets stuck when disconnected until reboot.
These are features, not bugs
  • Facebook sync cannot be activated.

Quick Settings poll

I created a poll about Quick Settings (discuss it there)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550027

Last edited:

lorkan126

Apr 30, 2013
I will search all bugs and i will post them here. Thank you for your job, I am waiting for Aosp or Cm based on android 4.4. Regards

BUG #1 : Settings language is always English, if you change language it doesnt help ofc, still english on settings.
BUG #2 : There is 2x calendar app xd
BUG #3 : SU dont work, and i dont know how to root this firmware :/

Last edited:

ngoralph

Apr 16, 2012
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I will search all bugs and i will post them here. Thank you for your job, I am waiting for Aosp or Cm based on android 4.4. Regards

BUG #1 : Settings language is always English, if you change language it doesnt help ofc, still english on settings.
BUG #2 : There is 2x calendar app xd
BUG #3 : SU dont work, and i dont know how to root this firmware :/

download superSU from chainfires site

Reactions: lorkan126

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
What are you trying to user Superuser for? I tested remounting /system and adding a file with Root explorer and it worked fine :)

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Storm.Breaker

Oct 15, 2013
@adfad666 thank you so much for sharing this rom! I have decided to switch to this one as my daily driver, pure stock 4.3 jellybean just the way i like it :D battery life is significantly better than cm10.2 and lag is non existent. Looking forward to future updates/bug fixes and of course AOSP kitkat roms! :D

Bug report: The notification light doesnt seem to work when charging via usb but works for notifications. Also, even though ive changed the notification lights to custom color values it still blinks white :(
ive attached a logcat below hope it helps. :)

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    158.9 KB · Views: 19

pakatsui

Apr 1, 2012
Tallinn
Going to test this out as I'm currently running PAC and my battery ran out in 6 hours with 1 hour tops screen time. Hope this is better like the previous comment stated. Will post a small review afterwards.

Ok first off: battery life seems to be A LOT better than CM10.2/PAC.
Doesn't have SU installed by default, so I had to flash it.
Seems to be smoother than PAC. Might be placebo effect though.

1 question as well. Is there a way to enable facebook sync? I did it on CM10.* with this method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2064859, but the CM10.2 apk doesn't work with AOSP :(

Last edited:

adfad666

Jul 29, 2011
Bug report: The notification light doesnt seem to work when charging via usb but works for notifications. Also, even though ive changed the notification lights to custom color values it still blinks white

I noticed it works if you change the default notification colour, so I must have missed some part about the custom colours for apps.

Doesn't have SU installed by default, so I had to flash it.

Super user is for sure installed, but I think you need to enable developer settings for it to work. It's the exact same code as for CyanogenMod ( I didn't even fork it I just link to their projects) and I think super user is hidden and disabled there until developer mode is enabled. I'll add the code like CM has to hide it unless developer mode is enabled.

1 question as well. Is there a way to enable facebook sync?

Absolutely not, Facebook needs to die. Immediately. Seriously. :cowboy:

avirale123

Aug 26, 2012
santa marta
undoubtedly the best work so far
the ram and the battery is what most pleased in this rom
but heating in many aspect
I did return to the stock expecting some solution
or next actulizacion

rogermontane

Jan 23, 2011
SuperUser is working fine for me :D.

-I've some force closes in Drive app; but i disabled this app so the force closes are gone.
-I suffer a reboot when i start the camera for first time -> The screen turns purple and like "melted" and after that turns off. And later turns on again (reboot). Note: i've this bug in CM10.1 and CM10.2 when i was playing HD videos.

Last edited:

pakatsui

Apr 1, 2012
Tallinn
Super user is for sure installed, but I think you need to enable developer settings for it to work. It's the exact same code as for CyanogenMod ( I didn't even fork it I just link to their projects) and I think super user is hidden and disabled there until developer mode is enabled. I'll add the code like CM has to hide it unless developer mode is enabled.

I enabled dev options before flashing, but many apps still said, that there's no root.

Absolutely not, Facebook needs to die. Immediately. Seriously. :cowboy:

I do agree with this, but I got all my phone numbers from facebook on stock and CM10.1.

RevTheory

Nov 11, 2009
UK
So what's the difference between this and say CM 10.1 and 10.2

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Boys and Girls,

Everyone at XDA loves AOSP based projects. However AOSP is designed only for the Nexus devices. For most other devices, a significant ammount of extra code needs to be added for them to run properly. For Qualcomm devices, most of this extra code is supplied by the Code Aurora Forums. Here you can find a variant of AOSP that is not only designed specifically for Qualcomm based devices, but it also includes various tricks and enhancements.

So today I'm introducing a little project I've been cooking up for myself, which might also be interesting for other Xperia SP users.

It's called recaf - adding the CAF optimizations back into your AOSP rom.

This is now based on Android 4.4 KitKat. On the surface, it looks almost exactly like pure AOSP as provided by Google. You wouldn't know just by looking at it, but under the surface there are lots of changes to dalvik, the frameworks and the hardware drivers to massively improve battery life.

However, pure AOSP sometimes feels a little bit featureless compared to advanced roms such as CyanogenMod, so I have included a few basic tweaks that I feel make life easier when using an AOSP-like rom:

• CyanogenMod camera app - because AOSP camera app is rubbish
    • CyanogenMod cLock widget - because it's actually pretty nice
    • Integrated Superuser - it's right there in the settings menu!
    • exFAT and NTFS - needed for larger SDCards
    • Multicoloured notification lights - AOSP gives us white lights only
    • Quick settings - easily accessible by swiping down the right side of the status bar
    • Advanced reboot - Always available in the power menu
    • ADB and SU security - root access is disabled by default

So without further delay, here is your download link:

recaf-4.K1-20131212-huashan.zip
    recaf-4.K1-20131207-huashan.zip
    recaf-4.K1-20131202-huashan.zip
    recaf-4.K1-20131129-huashan.zip
    recaf-4.K1-20131127-huashan.zip

I assume you will also want to install GAPPS, the version I recommend is the FULL version created by the Paranoid Android team from THIS THREAD.

For your first install you will need to flash the boot.img from inside the zip - SELinux changes for Android 4.4 will cause the zip to fail on other recoveries.

If you want to chat about recaf, join the Freenode IRC chat room #recaf.

recaf-4.J3-20131110-huashan.zip
    recaf-4.J3-20131113-huashan.zip
    pa_gapps-full-4.3-GH-20131112.zip
    Known Major Bugs
    • Location services are currently broken for certain apps. fixed in 4.K1.
    • GSM data sometimes (very rarely) randomly disconnects until reboot - I need help to determine what causes this. If you can reliably reproduce this, let me know.
    • Android RunTime (ART) will fail at boot time fixed.

Known Minor Bugs
    • WiFi does not connect to WPA secured networks. WPA2 security works as expected.
    • For Superuser to work you need to change ADB access to apps and adb (in developer settings)
    • Language does not change in some parts of Android, most notably the Settings app. Most other apps work fine and I didn't touch the language code, so this is a CAF bug I will need to fix.
    • Custom notification colours for missed calls and voice mail don't work
    • LED on charging sometimes gets stuck when disconnected until reboot.
    These are features, not bugs
    • Facebook sync cannot be activated.

Quick Settings poll

I created a poll about Quick Settings (discuss it there)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550027
    I just uploaded a BIG update - recaf is now based on Android 4.4 KitKat.

Original post and bug list has been updated.

Help me find bugs please!
    Oh man, I derpy derped the Camera app. You can extract Camera2.apk from the previous ROM or wait for the next.

As punishment I will set this image as me home screen background.

image.jpg
    I was wondering, what difference does this make with CM? Don't they use these sources too for Qualcomm device development?
    If not would it be possible to use these optimalisations in a CM rom by tweaking it that way? I guess that would be like the most awesome rom possible lol.

CM starts with AOSP then takes the bits of CAF needed to get their devices working. There's a whole bunch of stuff in CAF that CM doesn't take that's not directly related to device compatibility.

In other news, I just posted an update. libART works, the camera is underped, more additions for RIL to make network stable, and CM's LockClock is also included.

enjoy!