Portable Gaming and the Shield Tablet. Lets discuss options

Search This thread

John6670

Dec 29, 2013
With the release of the tablet, some people were saddened at the fact that they couldn't portable game anywhere, similar to what you could do with the original Shield Portable. Especially since it doesn't have built in controls like the portable or other handheld devices

But that certainly can't be the end of it. It should still be possible to play anywhere like with the Shield Portable, with an attachable Gamepad, or a gameklip type of device

Here is one add on that apparently works with the Shield Tablet. not sure if it'll work in gamestreaming, but from what i've heard so far, it works great with android emulators.

- Ipega PG 9023
attachment.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFXcDQbrQM

2. Another is called the utorcase

625x465_2491653_4457911_1408175789.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2491653/ps4-controller-nvidia-shield-tablet.html?materialId=25

Anyone here have any other options, or ways to turn their tablet into a portable game machine? Certainly there have to be more attachable gamepads, or better ways to mount your tablet to your controller, without the feeling being too bulky.

wietter

Sep 23, 2008
Olomouc
Hello,

Gamepad Ipega 9023 really surprised me, exactly I was looking for something like this, though perhaps with this gamepad + tablet will be a problem to reach with your thumb on the touch screen display when the index finger on R1 or R2 button. I am now waiting until I arrives, then we'll see :)

gameklip utorcase - it can be a problem. Problem is center of gravity, the device is heavier, this will not be comfortable to holding for me.

I prefer to gaming on tablet Toshiba Encore 8 with Windows 8.1, where I play GTA4 or Crysis 1 without streaming and long battery life.

I show you my invention - ​​gamepad with which you can easily control First person shooter game with a thumb riding the touch screen display and special ergonomics - buttons below the display .Gamepad is very small and mobile.

26392149_4_u4du2048.jpg

26392150_4_5e3q97.jpg

Counter-Strike: Source

Crysis 1:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
With the release of the tablet, some people were saddened at the fact that they couldn't portable game anywhere, similar to what you could do with the original Shield Portable. Especially since it doesn't have built in controls like the portable or other handheld devices

But that certainly can't be the end of it. It should still be possible to play anywhere like with the Shield Portable, with an attachable Gamepad, or a gameklip type of device

Here is one add on that apparently works with the Shield Tablet. not sure if it'll work in gamestreaming, but from what i've heard so far, it works great with android emulators.

- Ipega PG 9023
attachment.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFXcDQbrQM

2. Another is called the utorcase

625x465_2491653_4457911_1408175789.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2491653/ps4-controller-nvidia-shield-tablet.html?materialId=25

Anyone here have any other options, or ways to turn their tablet into a portable game machine? Certainly there have to be more attachable gamepads, or better ways to mount your tablet to your controller, without the feeling being too bulky.
Either that PS3 controller has lead in the grips or this is staged. Seems no way the weight would keep it from tipping.

danomat1073

Sep 6, 2010
Just ordered the ipega 9023. Seemed like a cool thing to try. Now gotta sit back and wait for it to ship from China.

giorgio79

Oct 28, 2013
I think that's a faux-tablet for displays. Also, that's a PS4 controller, but they're not heavier than PS3 controllers.

Hello Guys.

UtorCase maker here.

Re UtorCase photos for small tablets
I did use a small support for the photos, so the unit does not tip over. Still, using UtorCase with a large phone or a small tablet is perfectly convenient. These small tablets are extremly lightweight around 300-400 grams, so you can hardly notice their weight while playing with a Utorcase. Here is a review from another XDA member http://xdaforums.com/general/accessories/utorcase-controller-mount-ps3-ps4-360-t2807699 for the largish Xperia Ultra Z.

Will be putting up some in game / in hand pics soon, but meanwhile you can also see a video with a small tablet in action in the middle for the Xbox 360...

Finally, what controller could be better for gaming than the good old PS and Xbox controllers? :)

Last edited:

ugoff

Nov 24, 2007
Nice to hear from you. I am going to be purchasing one of your cases(is it really a case? It's more like a bracket....) for my phone. Would you consider making one that will fit the Shield Controller to the Shield Tablet?

Hello Guys.

UtorCase maker here.

Re UtorCase photos for small tablets
I did use a small support for the photos, so the unit does not tip over. Still, using UtorCase with a large phone or a small tablet is perfectly convenient. These small tablets are extremly lightweight around 300-400 grams, so you can hardly notice their weight while playing with a Utorcase. Here is a review from another XDA member http://xdaforums.com/general/accessories/utorcase-controller-mount-ps3-ps4-360-t2807699 for the largish Xperia Ultra Z.

Will be putting up some in game / in hand pics soon, but meanwhile you can also see a video with a small tablet in action in the middle for the Xbox 360...

Finally, what controller could be better for gaming than the good old PS and Xbox controllers? :)

I wanted to buy the ipega while i wait for the gamegrip STG one to eventually hit the market. Sadly, the ipega has been rumored to have horrible deadzones. Upon request, a brand new buyer tested his for the camera, and it looks to be a defect thats baked in as a "Feature".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-Lp7i4iV0

Its unlikely based on ipega's past, that there will be a firmware update to correct the problem, nor is there any guarantee the micro usb port interfaces with the controllers microcontroller :)

giorgio79

Oct 28, 2013
Nice to hear from you. I am going to be purchasing one of your cases(is it really a case? It's more like a bracket....) for my phone. Would you consider making one that will fit the Shield Controller to the Shield Tablet?

Hi,

Thanks! Yeah the naming is tricky. Utor is a latin word meaning "to fetch / to enjoy", and I kind a liked it. :) Otherwise, yes UtorCase is more of a bracket.:)

I have some requests for the Shield Controller, so I am currently looking at it. I would like to see the Shield controller getting some traction, but given the Shield tablet is compatible with PS4 and X1 or X360 controllers I am unsure that will happen.

ugoff

Nov 24, 2007
I can see your point about controller popularity. It also seems a little silly to attach the two, considering that's kinda what the Shield Portable is.

Hi,

Thanks! Yeah the naming is tricky. Utor is a latin word meaning "to fetch / to enjoy", and I kind a liked it. :) Otherwise, yes UtorCase is more of a bracket.:)

I have some requests for the Shield Controller, so I am currently looking at it. I would like to see the Shield controller getting some traction, but given the Shield tablet is compatible with PS4 and X1 or X360 controllers I am unsure that will happen.

wietter

Sep 23, 2008
Olomouc
IPEGA PG 9023 - deadzones for the analog sticks tests are my videos :)
- no problem for me ,I prefer D-Pad + touch mouse pointer on my tablet Toshiba Encore with Windows 8.1 32bit :)

if I can still here a small sample of gaming:
according to me better than NVidia shield? None streaming and long battery life:)

NFS: Most Wanted, NHL 09:

Soldier of Fortune 2:

I soldered on a ps3 Six axis joystick replacing the right stick. The dead zone dissapeared, but the fitmware was written to work around the shoddu sticks. The usability has improved somewhat but the acceleration is way off. Looks like there isn't an easy way to make the ipega useable for fps play.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416879096794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416879096794.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 616
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416879115148.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416879115148.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 631
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416879149649.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416879149649.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 625
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416879159707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416879159707.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 580

jnnar

Jan 6, 2014
I own both the ipega and the sixaxis. The analog dead zone issue for the ipega is very noticeable, driving games and FPS are a pain.. Things like 3rd person shooters are more playable but is very difficult to aim precicely.. Dpad is decent but unusable with beat em ups. Also i can't play any GRID game with ipega connected, maybe is a bluetooth-wifi issue. The sixaxis works great, to connect via cable and without root I use sixaxis enabler, the only problem I found is some dpad issue on grid games, it seems to work in menu but not in games (like switching weapons)

Last edited:

Pariahnoble

Nov 19, 2013
plus.google.com
I own both the ipega and the sixaxis. The analog dead zone issue for the ipega is very noticeable, driving games and FPS are a pain.. Things like 3rd person shooters are more playable but is very difficult to aim precicely.. Dpad is decent but unusable with beat em ups. Also i can't play any GRID game with ipega connected, maybe is a bluetooth-wifi issue. The sixaxis works great, to connect via cable and without root I use sixaxis enabler, the only problem I found is some dpad issue on grid games, it seems to work in menu but not in games (like switching weapons)

Odd I've been playing grid since day one with my ipega.... Picked it right up and ran (played dead island) my router fails the big one so I didn't get far. But it did work.....

jnnar

Jan 6, 2014
Odd I've been playing grid since day one with my ipega.... Picked it right up and ran (played dead island) my router fails the big one so I didn't get far. But it did work.....
I can run the GRID app with the ipega on, and start every game, but is totally unplayable (lag-stuttering-freeze-force close of the app). I started to blame the ipega the first time i tried the ps3 controller. Also i have a FTTH 100mbps connection so it should works very good (and it does without the ipega)

Last edited:

sacasoh

Aug 6, 2010
I can run the GRID app with the ipega on, and start every game, but is totally unplayable (lag-stuttering-freeze-force close of the app). I started to blame the ipega the first time i tried the ps3 controller. Also i have a FTTH 100mbps connection so it should works very good (and it does without the ipega)

Is your router using the 2.4ghz band? Maybe the iPega bluetooth signal is interfering with the shield signal - try using the 5ghz if available. I'll try to run some tests myself, as soon as I get back my GTX970 from the RMA.